Greetings from Colorado Springs

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wfsteadman

Greetings all,
My name is Wally Steadman and I am new to Pen Turning. As a matter of fact I am so new that I have not purchased my equipment yet. I turned a couple of pens in a friends garage a few years ago and really wanted to get into it and now I am taking the plunge.

The Lathes I am looking at are (choice is top to bottom)
JET JWL-1015VS
Delta Industrial 46-460 12-1/2-Inch Variable-Speed Midi Lathe
JET JWL-1221VS

I wanted to NOT buy a drill press and drill the pens on the lathe, and read on here about some tools that will allow this so wanted to get feedback from the experienced. If I were to get a one of the lathes above, what tools would you recommend for drilling blanks on the lathe. I want to make sure they work on the specified lathe.

If you use a different lathe and think it might suit me better let me know as I am still in research phase.

Also as an aside, I was looking at Drill Presses just in case and could not find many with a 3" quill/stroke so wanted to get recommendations on Drill presses that are not super expensive but that work well for Pen Turning just in case.

Very excited to be starting this new hobby.

Thanks
Wally

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mr Vic

Greetings Wally and welcome to this new addiction. Started pens on my Shopsmith and when I decided top really make a lot more I went out and bought a Jet 1014vs. In retrospect I should have gone a bit bigger as I find myself turning other things.

Now for a shamless plug: I'm president of the local AAW Chapter, the Pikes Peak Woodturners. We meet the first Friday each month from 5:30pm to 8:00pm at the Beamis School of Art in downtown Colorado Springs. Come on out and join us. Pikes Peak Woodturners | Turning wood in the Front Range

Mr Vic

To answer the drilling question: I use a Nova G3 chuck with their pen drilling jaws for holding the blank. For the bit I use a Jacobs chuck with a MT2 adapter. I got my drill chucks at Harbor Freight for about $15. Actually have two, 1 of them I keep my center drill in so I don't have to swap out bits.

JimB

Welcome from western NY state. Get the biggest lathe you can so you can turn more than just pens. I believe the Jet 1221 is the largest of the ones you have listed and is a trusted brand.

Penultimate

Welcome from The land of flat, Illinois. I get to travel to Colorado Springs for business occasionally. My colleagues at the factory recommended I go to Rudy's. I visited in June, Rudy's fantastic.

flyitfast

Wally, welcome to IAP from San Antonio, TX.
If you have a Woodcraft nearby, they have a really good midi lathe on sale. It is the Rikon and it has been popular with many new turners in our club.
A drill press can be handy for drilling projects, but for pen blanks you can't get more accurate than drilling on the lathe using the accessories mentioned above.
Mr Vic's offer to visit their AAW chapter would be a great way to learn and meet other pen turners.
Good luck and have fun.
Gordon

wfsteadman

Welcome from The land of flat, Illinois. I get to travel to Colorado Springs for business occasionally. My colleagues at the factory recommended I go to Rudy's. I visited in June, Rudy's fantastic.

I just moved from Texas where we had Rudy's as well and while I like it, if you come to the Springs again, try Famous Daves. I find it to be a much better BBQ place.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome to the insane world of pens! :biggrin: You got hooked two years ago. To whom do we owe this honor?

Seriously, Welcome and enjoy this fun, profession, work, hobby or what ever you want to call it. Lots of great people here to help you.

Sappheiros

Welcome from Chicago, Wally! I was making a similar decision about lathes and I went with the Delta 46-460! It's been great! The variable speed is definitely something to go for. It's been a while since I made the decision, so all I can say is that I ended up with the Delta instead of the Jets. Can't wait to see some work!

Top Bottom