Greetings from Carson City

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jakoop

Hello!

I am super excited to be here and have much to learn. I have never turning anything but have been thinking about it for a long time. My wife use to teach wood shop in middle school and when I said I wanted to get a lathe to turn pens she was all on board!

Now we need to find all the tools/equipment and get started. I have many ideas to try and just the short time on here, (1day) I have gotten many more.

This is the start of something great!

Oh, and I am an avid fly fisher and tier. :)

Koop

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Koop, welcome to the site. You found the most well rounded and best informed pen turning site on the net. There is so much info packed within the walls of this site as well as so many talented turners and all around craftspeople here. We are a family of sorts and will go out of the way to be of help when needed. We love photos so get your camera out and snap away and post for us all to see. Sharing knowledge and life's events is what we do.

I caution you to slow down and take your time gathering things and getting started in this great hobby. I also caution you it can be an expensive hobby depending how deep you want to get but you will find that out as you go. Do not get discouraged if things do not got the way you want them right away. Practice and come here and ask questions.

But the most important thing is to work safe and learn your tools. Wear proper safety equipment when needed and above all have some fun. Good luck and hope you do stick around.

Charlie_W

Welcome from Virginia!

On home page, you will see a column on the right. Near the bottom of the list is a link to an atricle about tooling for new pen turners by Dan Masshardt. It is a good read and a starting point. There are plenty of useful articles in our library as well. And don't forget YouTube videos!

Good luck!

magpens

Hi, and welcome to IAP !!!! . Your enthusiasm is obvious !!!!

Sounds like you will be competing with your wife for shop time !!!!

How about combining your love of fly tying and pen making ... you could make some flies and cast them in resin (after bending to the shape of the pen barrel) and then turn on the lathe to make a pen. . I'd love to be able to buy some pen blanks with colorful cast-in fishing flies from you !

Last edited:
Top Bottom