Greetings from Boston,NY

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnnyBeGood

First time here, Live in western NY just south of Buffalo. Membership list show only 3 others near me on the map. If there is anyone else in this area I really would like to meet up. I see many area have local groups but nothing for here. Perhaps we can start a group as well.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimB

Welcome John. I'm over near Rochester so not real close to you but not to far either. You are right that there aren't many IAP members in western NY and of the few members there are, some are not very active on here. If you are ever in the Rochester area you are welcome to stop by.

There are at least 2 turning clubs in the Buffalo area that are chapters of the AAW. You may want to go on the AAW website to get info on them.

Woodchipper

Welcome to the forum. When did Boston move to western NY? Lived in Queens in the early 60s. Friends lived in Buffalo for several years. When people down here talk about cold weather, we just look at each other and laugh.

JohnnyBeGood

Welcome to the forum. When did Boston move to western NY? Lived in Queens in the early 60s. Friends lived in Buffalo for several years. When people down here talk about cold weather, we just look at each other and laugh.

Interesting you asked. Boston,NY is actually celebrating it's Bi-Centenial this year. and is officially 15 years older as a municipality than Buffalo. Also when talking about the "Snow Belt" We are in the heart of it, as it runs south of the city from Lake Erie through the Boston hills and south into ski country.

I will look up the turner clubs in the area, spoke with one group at the Erie County fair and they seem to be aging out and getting very little new blood, sad to see that a lot of hobbies like ours are aging out . Same thing happened to my Ham radio hobby except technology has basically made that all but obsolete. This hobby here, tech has made it easier to enjoy the creativity while the hard part is easier than ever.

I am also one of a declining group of Shop Smith owners. My equipment having been in storage since 2005, is now in a new shop and I turned my first piece in all those years, a Mushroom from a Cherry branch from a local tree cut down accross the street. I got several larger logs about 6-10 inches across from the same tree looking to turn some bowls as well, have never have turned a bowl either. Used to turn pens , did a bunch for family 15 years ago but life happened and had to put this hobby on hold. Just recieved the last of those sets back at the passing of my mother in March. But I also got her wood carving tools and materials. Another art being lost to technology again the local carver's goup aging out.

I wish I could say If I joined these groups I would significantly reduce the median age but alas I am more likely to be at or above the median age.

:usflag:

eharri446

Age? What age? We are all spring chickens in the prime of our lives. (I wish, everyday it seems I find a new ache somewhere.)

I do not think that age has anything to do with what a person can or does enjoy. If you look at the age spread for members here, I know that we go from at least 16 to at least 87.

I have met several young people at my local Woodcraft store who are getting into pen turning, and each one I meet, I encourage to go to our website and join up since they can get an education on pen turning here that they can get no where else.

Woodchipper

My father always said it's not the age it the mileage. We have a lot of older folks in our turning club wut are getting younger members as well. We had a family join recently- father, mother, daughter. They are into turning so much that they bought two lathes!

Top Bottom