Greetijngs

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

refueler1

Hello, just joined in to the forum and thought I would say hello. I am new to turning and such. Just purchased my first lathe a couple months ago. I was able to find a good used Jet 1014 mini. I collected everything I need to start turning but it has been very cold in the garage and all I have been able to do is turn some pine blanks for learning the turning tools on.

Some guick info on me; I recently retired from the United States Air Force as an Aircraft Maintenance Craftsman,,,"Crew Chief". I worked on many aircraft over my 21 year career like KC-135 A/R models, B1B bombers and Combat Talon II's. Been many places and wish I had stayed in longer! Of the aircraft I worked, the KC-135 is my favorite aircraft, why, becauce no one kicks a@# without tanker gas to get them to the fight!

When I do have time, between my 2 jobs, I like to watch my woodworking tools collect dust. Which means I get very little time to use them but when I do I like it. Haven't pinned down one exact aspect of a wood hobby yet, maybe this wood turning thing will be it?
In my spare time I also collect old Air Force memorabila.

Have teenage boys, wife and five small dogs,,,all of them drive me bonkers:D.

We live here in Indianapolis Indiana, big change from out last assignment in Fort Walton Beach Florida but this is where our extended families are and we are back to help take care of them.

If your in this area fill free to say Hi. If you know any good areas around here to collect fallen timbers let me know.

Good talkin to everyone, look forward to posting on this forum. I have read many post here on IAP and it has been very informative.

Take Care,
Jack,,,refueler1

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Verne

Welcome from another in Texas Jack. In another life, 43151A, KC-97G Crew Chief at Whiteman, The Goose, Torrejon, The Azores, No. Africa, and other exotic SAC locations.
So see, your not so old!!!!
Vern

Fred

Greetings and Salutes to you - and all the other servicemen. Glad to have you with us. Now get some grease off the hands and get to turning. To stay warm you can always burn some of the shavings ... but NOT the wood. The wood is for turning don't you know! :D

jwoodwright

Welcome Jack, you'll learn a lot here. I know what you mean about Ft. Walton Beach. Spent several years at Tyndall (Panama City).

I retired in 92. USAF Crash, Fire, Rescue and then Training Management. The KC-135R was taking over. What a thrill, no water, no black smoke. Miss the cart. starts on the KC-135A... Spent my time in SAC...

Harold and Verne, pulled egress on the KC-97 at Torrejon. The ones we gave to Spain. Also stationed in the Azores...

Randy_

Welcome aboard, Jack. I think you will enjoy it here. We have many knowledgeable members who can help with your pencrafting education.

If you haven't done so already, take a look at the IAP LIBRARY. The library has lots of interesting and useful information available and there is no fine for keeping a book longer than three weeks!!:D

refueler1

Originally posted by pentex

Welcome from Texas. I was a boom operator on the KC29, KC97, and the KC135. Guess you can tell my age right away.

Hi Pentex. I used an old nose art from one of the early KC29s for my KC135R while I was stationed at RAF Mildenhall UK during the early 90s. My aircrat nose art was Hump Happy Pappy from when they KC29s where trying to get the Berlin Airlift supplies over the Hemilain (sp) mountains. I found the old nose art in a bomber history book from the base library. The 135 and its history is absolutly my favorite of the large aircraft. I worked with a gentleman down in Florida that was a retired crew chief who worked KC97s and 135s but his name escapes right now,,,anyway, good talkin to ya.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome Jack ! I live in Beech Grove right now . Feel free to check out my profile & drop me an email if you want . I have a cousin who retired from the A F ,and is now holding a civilian position at Scott AFB in Illinois . He got me into this addiction . Hope you enjoy it as much as I do .

pentex

Jack, I spent my entire AF career in SAC. Was in Goose, No. Africa, Spain, Alaska, and many other nice places. I miss those days, so I just make pens and enjoy my retirement years. You will enjoy this site and can learn so much. I really appreciate all the nice people on here. Looking forward to seeing some of your work.

rhahnfl

Greetings from NE Fl. My last flight off CVN-71 was a tanker package in an S-3A Viking. Many years ago... Last airborne refueling was a HIFIR in an SH60-B. Again, a few years back.

Top Bottom