Gidday from downunder

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wild_Dingo

Gidday you mob!! [8D]

Well somehow I finally found were you lot hide!!... a wonderful lady turner in Queensland Aussie sent me along here to learn so here I am!... 2 years after making my first pen I have arrived where everyone hangs out.. typical me always late to the party!! :D

So Ive no idea how to post pics but will figure it out sooner or later but for now a bit about meself eh?

Rightio... came to woodworking late in life but always had a penchant for timber and making stuff just never had the tools always the hard way carving with old rusty chisels cutting with blunt old handsaws and stuff like that... then back a few years I decided buggar it Im getting some tools after we sold a property and she got all her sewing kit to the tune of somewhere around 20K I did the same with setting up the shed!! [8D]

I bought whatever tools I thought I would need to make whatever I felt the urge to make then bought the ones I really needed [8)] had a ball buying and sorting through the tools and stuff... but when it came to turning wood Id never ONCE in my life been even remotely near a lathe let alone used one... so in my usual way I bought the biggest buggar that I could get at the time and said "IM TURNING WOOD!" note that I didnt say Im a woodturner cause Im not... but I tried my hand at a few things small 6 and 8in dia bowls and such then seemed to go smaller and smaller until I was making bowls 2in and less on this whopping great lathe!!... so I thought okay pens must be easy as right... RIGHT! it was simple easy and bloody wonderfully soothing... I must have turned over 50 in the first week had a ball [8D] using Jarrah Sheoak Tuart Huon Pine and Sassafras mostly

I kinda got over cocky then and thought okay I can do this... remember here Id never used a lathe before this thing... and I found a website by an Amish fella over in the states who was turning this MONSTER peice of timber into a huge bowl... I can do that he thinks!!!... and promply grabs up a bloody great lump of Jarrah burl that was destined for the fireplace yep this will do he thinks and lugs it to the lathe... fixed it in no wukkers easy as... turned it on... AND ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE!!! I mean this thing went demented chook on me!!! reached over and hit the off button lickety split and promptly sat down and had a smoko while me nerves settled again... didnt give up and still havent that Jarrah burl still awaits my next attempt at big bowl turning... when I get brave enough that is ;)

So a few years down the track I havent got braver but life has changed somewhat from what it was and after my recently enforced sabbatical from all things shed I decided to get back into it... now Ive got about 10 dozen projects on the hop out there none of which Ive been near for 4 months now but Im gonna start another one!... so to that end I wandered up to Perth yesty (Our capital city about 200+ clicks away) and bought me some woodworking gear... retail therapy they call it [8D] and among the things I bought was a wee lathe just for pen making along with a range of pen inserts and a new mandrel and such goodies... so Ive now set the two lathes across from each other in the shed and have the Deliverance tape in the tape deck ready for the day I go out and start playin Dueling Lathes!! :D

Anyway Im a bit of a manic charector who enjoys a laugh a good yarn and learning new things plus sharing what Ive learnt along the way... with pens I enjoy the different the quirky and the unusual and intend to make presentation boxes totally from wood (ala no metal hinges) just have to reduce the sizes of the present wooden hinges I make for jewellery boxes and such.. no biggie just gotta get the bits and bobs right thats all easy as ;)

Anyway Im 51 newly separated with 8 nippers and 3 going on 5 grandnippers and enjoy life to the max! [8D]

Cheers
Shane

Any translations needed just ask Im a bit FIG JAMish... should be able to work that one out eh? FIG JAM is an acronim I think its called anyway first letter of each of the 6 words that make up the 2 words... easy as! ;)

A few of the many things Ive created since gaining the tools... the upload wont seem to allow me any more than this so I might post another post?

Anyway a circle of the first pens I turned including the timber species

20086181580_mini-pen%20circle1.jpg

A veneer/marquetry artwork I created called "Home before the storm" with Jarrah frame
2008618151835_mini-Marquetry%20Artwork.jpg

And probably my favorite shed pic of the first mallet I made Jarrah headstock with Tuart handle all hand done by the way...

2008618151925_mini-mallet.jpg

Cheers!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome Shane,
I was laughing as I read until I came to this line:

"... and promply grabs up a bloody great lump of Jarrah burl that was destined for the fireplace"

Then I started crying thinking about burning that kind of wood! Welcome to the crazy world of IAP. You will enjoy.:D

Wild_Dingo

Yeah I know yous mob chuck it when you hear that... but mate it IS our firewood here!! Must admit I dont like burning it but by gawd its better to burn it than Sheoak Marri or Blackbutt!!! [:0]

Tuarts probably one of my favorite timbers for heavy work use since its harder and denser than Jarrah to my mind and most of its a bland sort of timber... what I was trying to post was a pic of a coffee table I made with a Tuart edge to edge top with sheoak rails and hand turned (with chisel and sandpaper rolled around finger) Curly Jarrah legs... that particular peice of Tuart had the most stunning figure [8D] Hence being the top ;)

Ive recently been sent by a fella in Melbourne a package of 100 pen blanks of a mess of different timbers including a couple of your Redwood... a timber by the way I LOVE as veneer... I am a bit of a veneer nut by the way and tend to buy several hundred dollars worth at a time from a fella in Kentucky who being the nice bloke he is sends me way more than I pay for!! I do love bonuses!! [8D]

I havent a camera at the moment... must buy one... but Ive recently finished a piece I started way back in February a simple weather station peice (clock thermometer and barometer) using Ebony as the background peice is 4ft x 2ft framed in Jarrah... bloody beauty if I do say so meownself! I added my usual "signature" bits to it in this case a small buddah and a pair of pelicans... along with my usual peice of gemstone set in one corner black fire opal in this instance... I used to make things standard you know? special but nothing that sorta said "HEY!! WOW!!" so I looked around for that special something and since I was a nipper Id collected gemstones from my travels around Aussie and well I started inserting a small gem on the peice.

Got a bit carried away with a flute I carved for my younger hippy yippee yaya sister up in Broome and near covered it in her favorite gem turquoise but hey I had plenty and she loves the stuff! ;) Made that from Plum with little display pillows of Camphor Laurel... speaking of which mate have you turned some of that? MAN DOES IT CLEAR THE NOSE!!! and shed and everything within coooeee of it... beautiful gear Camphor Laurel... mind you Huon Pine is much better smells like butter but makes it a buggar to finish cause as you know once the finish goes on the smells locked in and the smell is one of Huons main features... so generally I finish Huon natural just sanding as fine as I can get

Anyway will try again with the table

Nope it just wont let me upload the thing!! [V]

Sooooo onwards and upwards other things!!

A music jewelery box for our second youngest daughter from if memory serves me rightly sides are Olive crotch top was Black Walnut crotch frame Oregon and what you cant see is the side strips of Ebony... veneered as you notice to 1/2in ply... really enjoyed making this sourcing the little teddy on the top entailed a 700 click trip to a specialty shop in Kalgoorlie and the wee frangipani was sourced from my sis in Broome
200861816329_mini-2007_0401Jacsbdaypressy0007.jpg

And a mantle clock I made for our second eldest and her partner... Finials are Sheoak base and top Jarrah and clock backing Sepiature from Malaysia (this stuff shines like burnished gold amazing timber)
2008618163244_mini-DSCF4747.jpg

aaaahhhh buggar it Ive tried 3 times now to add that table in here and it just wont appear just get that rotten tiny empty pic square thing [V] wont even let me insert the flute... says its there and go to the uploaded pics section and theyre both there but wont go into the post... mmm wonder if its the preview thingy?? okay dahmnit I will insert it once more and just post see what gives eh! [}:)]

Okay this should show the flute

Image Insert:
2008618164014_Plum_Camphor Lauren Terquise_Flute.jpg

And this should show two clocks Ive made rather fancy ones if I do say so meself

Image Insert:
200861816336_Two_Jarrah_Sheoak_Tuart_ _Banksia_Clocks.jpg

And whallah!! this should be the much ignored by the program that runs the forum Jarrah Tuart and Sheoak coffee table Ive been tryin to insert into the posts

Image Insert:
2008618163334_mini-Tuart_Jarrah Sheoak_Coffee_Table.jpg

Wild_Dingo

Can you mob see the last three?? Cause I sure cant!! click on the image "veiw image" and get a page that says "It is with sadness and regret that this server must inform you that the page you have requested is nowhere to be found." thats WEIRD!!! the pics are showing clear as day in the uploaded pics thing but... maybe some nice moderator or such will sort it while Im sleeping?! [8D] aaahhh well time enough to think about it in the morning 12.50am here so off to snoozeland for this wee feela

Have a good one!
Cheers
Shane

BigShed

Welcome to the IAP forum Ding. The nice people here don't know it yet, but this place will never be the same again.

Good to see you are enjoying yourselves, like some of your work, at least the work I can actually see.

Good on ya mate! :D

great12b4ever

Welcome to the addiction! :D I can tell from reading your post that you will fit right in with this crazy, fun-loving, helpful bunch or mob here at the IAP. I couldn't help but laugh throughout your post. I even had to call in my wife to share this with. By the way, you owe me for a new keyboard. I spit out a big mouthful of Crown Royal when I read the part of the Jarrah burl destined for the firewood, right over the keyboard. Man that wood sells for a pretty penny over here. Anyway, keep at it and thanks for the post

baker4456

Welcom from Garland Texas. Any of that rotten old stinking Jarrah you want to throw in the fire place you can send my way and I'll take care of it for you.

VisExp

Originally posted by BigShed

The nice people here don't know it yet, but this place will never be the same again.

That's what I was thinking :D

Welcome to the IAP Dingo! Your work looks great but you do need to open up a bit more and tell us what's really on your mind ;) It's great to have you on board!

Top Bottom