Getting started in Memphis

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

brad704

Morning folks. I inadvertently created my first post in the picture section, but wanted to make an official entrance here.

I'm Brad from Memphis, Tennessee. Just getting started with pen turning, but I'm not new to woodworking. I actually can't seem to find any hobby that keeps me entertained for more than 6 months. Knife making, painting, furniture, even crochet...

Finished my first pen yesterday.

bac559fe6c59208445d9c97880660918.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

brad704

Thanks Mark. I'll definitely add more pics as I go

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome Brad. Excellent for a first pen. You obviously have some wood working experience and it shows.

I am just south of you in Tunica. There used to be a couple of turners in Memphis when I joined IAP way back when. Then they dropped out rather quick. I have been surprised that Memphis has so few turners. Colco (SP?) used to attract woodworkers and a few pen turners until they went out of business.

Last edited:

mecompco

Welcome! Knife making is fun, but takes a long time--I think that's why I've stuck with pens--they are almost instant gratification.

Regards,
Michael

brad704

Welcome! Knife making is fun, but takes a long time--I think that's why I've stuck with pens--they are almost instant gratification.

Regards,
Michael

I'm already seeing that for sure.

brad704

Thanks all for the warm welcome. I love forums that are this active.

Lee, have you been to the Woodwork Shop in Cordova, TN? I've been going for years, but never for pen supplies until now. Small store but the carry all the pen essentials plus loads of all types of woodworking equipment. They are also a Rockler AD.

Welcome Brad. Excellent for a first pen. You obviously have some wood working experience and it shows.

I am just south of you in Tunica. There used to be a couple of turners in Memphis when I joined IAP way back when. Then they dropped out rather quick. I have been surprised that Memphis has so few turners. Colco (SP?) used to attract woodworkers and a few pen turners until they went out of business.

DLGunn

I'm not Lee, but I really like the Woodwork Shop. They have always treated me well and I can get several different exotic boards there for a good price. I get over that way about one a month.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I'm not Lee, but I really like the Woodwork Shop. They have always treated me well and I can get several different exotic boards there for a good price. I get over that way about one a month.

I have known of the Woodwork Shop, but never been there - Since I have to go clear across Memphis from where I am. It would be worth it, I believe and If I go one time, I can see me doing that over and over! :eek: I used to go all across Tokyo, Osaka and Nagoya all the time at the drop of a hat. I just need to get with it back here.

Last edited:

brad704

I'm a pretty dedicated online deal shopper, but I do like to support the local spots when I. That said, none of the pen below came from local shops. :/

Number 2 finished. Cocobolo with gold hardware.

a6cadc41dc5abe85b7872d431d5ce65a.jpg

07ad142e673bf5179bd5a968481158a0.jpg

8af859498aa7a8632648e33e26f84dea.jpg

brad704

Thanks guys.

Another from yesterday. I'm trying to back up and sort out my shop now, to have a better work environment.

7ec29fa24219f609713b1af437d9ecd6.jpg

329312a14261fd7352293a0f5771b017.jpg

Top Bottom