Getting Ready !

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hillbilly

Hello everybody,

I been here a couple of months now, you all just didnt know it. I've been looking, reading and admiring yall's work. My name is Brian Young I'm from TN right outside of Nashville.

I bought my lathe tonight. I will to post a link to it so hopefully someone can tell me what else I need to get and what size I need to start turning pens. Such as a mandrel, taper locks, centering spur. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=310121538590&Category=42282

Thanks, Brian

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnU

Brian, you can probably get your supplies from any number of vendors listed at this website. Just make sure you get an MT1 mandrel system to fit your lathe. I think I got my first setup at Woodturningz.com but there are many that carry what you want and then some.... blanks, bushings, kits, etc. Good luck and looking forward to seeing your work posted.

JimB

Welcome to the group. Here's a little cut and paste I found that tell you what you need for MT and spindle threading.

W1704 - Bench-Top Wood Lathe

Ideal for pen turning and small project turning, this Bench-top Wood Lathe with cast-iron construction and infinitely variable speed control offers the precision pen turners demand. Includes
safety paddle switch,
MT #1 spur center,
MT #1 live center,
4-1/4"
7" tool rests,
5-3/4" face plate
3/4" x 16 TPI RH spindle.

SPECIFICATIONS:
Variable speed motor
1/3 HP, 2 Amp, 120V, 60HZ
700-3,200 RPM spindle speed
12" Distance between centers
8" Swing over bed
Weighs 45 lbs.

OLDMAN5050

Passed Away May 15, 2019
In Memoriam
hello, myself from unionville tn. welcome aboard.............. to this addiction. now there is no hope for you happy pen making. david

dasimm

Welcome Brian...

1. Be patient with yourself, give yourself the room to make mistakes, cause you will.
2. Remember that you "can" start slowly and build-up your turning skills, tools, equipment, and knowledge.
3. Go through the library here and read as many of the articles as you can.
4. Don't be afraid to ask questions here as most are happy to share their wealth of experience and intimate knowledge on this subject.
5. Go to woodworking shows and demonstrations to see these techniques in action.

Hope this helps...

- David
Colleyville, Texas

PostalBob

Welcome

Welcome to one of the best found hobby in my opinion.
Now what do you need? Well everything that has been mentioned and a little thing we like to call $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. lol
Enjoy and Welcome to the site. Good luck and when you get a chance show us some of your work.

Tn-Steve

Welcome from Clarksville, TN. You can get blanks and kits at the WoodCraft store in Franklin, TN, it's more expensive than getting them online, but sometimes ya need something right then.

Great group here, I've only been doing pens for a month now, and have already developed skills that make me look a lot better than I have any right to be thanks to the folks here.

Welcome to the madness

Steve

Top Bottom