G'Day form Western Australia

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gezawa

Names Gerry live in remote WA love pen turning is still fairly new to me but loving the challenge and fun of making a writing instument.The lovely wife and tin lids are hooked as well.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Names Gerry live in remote WA love pen turning is still fairly new to me but loving the challenge and fun of making a writing instument.The lovely wife and tin lids are hooked as well.

Gerry, welcome to the group. I'm a bit slow, so could you explain the part after lovely wife to me??:confused::confused::)

Fred

Welcome to the Forum, Gary. Hope you, the wife, and "tin" kinds all enjoy the hobby.

How about doing a walkabout and collecting us poor souls some fantastic Australian woods so we can all trade and such not? You would definitely gain several dozen, heck, maybe even hundreds of new 'best friends' if you came up with a ton of great burls and such not.

Just remember that Cav and I were the first two to say "hello!" to you and the family when you offer the treasures ... :biggrin:

leehljp

Member Liaison

Welcome Gerry. Glad to have you here. Post some picts of some of your work!

Below is a link to a PDF file that goes over many aspects of pen turning from finish - to pens - to tools - to methods etc. It is not in detail but a good overview for pen turning. Hope it helps.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42446

Also included is a link to a new post that gives some information that people wished they had known earlier in pen turning. Some good information by those that make pens.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46654

ngeb528

Hi Gerry. We're glad you're here.
You're lucky to have some wonderful, native woods in Australia.
Everyone here is really helpful so ask questions. It's a great way to make friends and advance your skills.

broitblat

Welcome, Gerry!

As others have pointed out, you have a wealth of beautiful local woods available to you, but there's lots of other great materials out there, too.

I look forward to seeing what you turn out.

-Barry

Gezawa

G'day All

Esperance in Western Australia is about 800 km's south east of our capital city Perth.

A good bit of Aussie slang for all of you who didn't get it!.......The 'tin lids' mentioned after the lovely wife refers to our four children. We think that we have a whole family who are becoming suitably addicted and taking over DAd's shed. There is of course an upside.....The shed BUDGET just increased expotentially!!!!!!

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Gerry, thanks for the information about Aussie slang. I am from the southern part of our country and my wife from the north. After 27 years, I occasionally come up with a "Southernism" that makes her say HUH???

Top Bottom