G'day from Down Under

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DaveTTC

I'm Dave

I have loved woodworking since I was a kid. My first experience with a lathe was in year 8, I was 13. I think I made a bread board and later that year a bowl with a contrasting strip of dark timber off centre.

I bought a home made lathe when I was about 33. It n never got used. About 2 1/2 years ago (I was 39) I saw someone demonstrate making a pen on a lathe. I was first in the queue to have a go, I was hooked. They were amazing, I'd never seen a timber pen before.

Having moved to a small town, population of 900, with 3 carpenter / builders already well established I was out of work. This seemed to be an opurtunity. Get into woodturning. Within a few months a acquired another lathe and a couple of hundred pen kits. In a 1 week period I made my first 100 or so pens.

I did not get the shop I had hoped for and sales did not work out. My current goal is to set up a workshop where I can turn and sell from the same location.

My only experience with turning is those 100 or so pens, some varieties of fruit, a few bowls and 2 lidded vessels oh and some vases and 2 wooden mallets.

Aside from this I did my trade as a carpenter and joiner, am a volunteer fire fighter, president of the local mini rail, Vice President of the local business chamber of commerce, husband, father of 5 and pop to 1.

I enjoy spending time with friends and family, like gardening and am Im in the middle of an extensive renovation to our old home.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plantman

:eek: Hi Dave. Man, if you were around in the year 8, you realy are an old bugger. I think you ment grade 8 or am I misunderstanding the language from down under? Welcome to the club. Jim S

DaveTTC

100 pens in the first week? You got an extreme case of pen fever! Welcome.:)
It was major, I need another week like that and to advance from slim lines

:eek: Hi Dave. Man, if you were around in the year 8, you realy are an old bugger. I think you ment grade 8 or am I misunderstanding the language from down under? Welcome to the club. Jim S
Yeah down under primary school went from grade 1 - grade 7 when I was a boy. High school started in 'grade 8' bit for some reason we stopped saying grade in high school so it was year 8 - year 12 then matriculation. Which I think was advanced year 12.

Gday Dave,

Welcome to the addictive world of pen turning!:biggrin:

Thx, yeah I'm addicted.

Top Bottom