G'day

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brianne163

Just started to make pens as souvenirs for our local Historical Village here in Hervey Bay, Queensland, Australia.
You may have heard of Hervey Bay as we are the Whale Watching capital.......
Our Village is a Not for Profit, all volunteer operation with over 120 members, many of whom are active. We run interactive demonstrations on Sundays and for groups. Blacksmith, Corn Shelling, Woodturning (Treadle lathe) and Rope making. My initial pens are the slimline model from Timberbits. Seem to work well. Just been experimentingwith a Celtic Knot using Burdekin Plum and Camphor Laurel as insert. Once I gained enough patience to let the glue set properly, the 3rd attempt went well. Made a jig to cut the blanks to length and also the angle cuts for the Celtic Knot. Saw designs on this Forum and copied.
Once I get hold of some aluminium a little thicker than coke cans, I intend to try the aluminium inserts. I am using shellawax to finish as I am not keen on glossy finishes.:cool:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

Welcome Brian! I prefer to use CA, but on wood surfaces, like you I don't like the glossy look. So I rub down the blanks with fine steel wool (0000).

robutacion

G'day Brian,

Welcome to the IAP family from Mt. Compass in SA-Australia

I know Harvey Bay well, it was there (coming to it) that I got my first speeding ticket, with 117km p/h on a 100km p/h road stretch, I was caught overtaking a vehicle that I felt was driving unsafely but that didn't matter to the police officer:mad:

Anyway, there will be many opportunities for you to learn new stuff...!

Best of luck,

Cheers
George

Sappheiros

Welcome to the IAP from Chicago! There's so much to learn here and always someone to provide advice and help when needed. Hope to see some of your work!

PapaTim

icon1.gif

Welcome from Tennessee's Upper Cumberland region.

I'll bet that treadle lathe is a fun experience. Have you had a chance to use it?

Top Bottom