FRESH FISH

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott-n-KY

just got hooked a few weeks ago. I see now why some of you call it an addiction. I really enjoy it, but have quite a few screw ups. Lately it takes two blanks and two pen kits to make one. I have been reading some things on this sight for a couple weeks now. really cool how everyone helps each other out. Seems to be good people here. Now, for my first question....What is the best way to apply the CA for the finish? I purchased some Poly fill, but don't know if it is the right thing to use....little hairs everywhere!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome to the group. As for the best way to apply ca for a finish you'll find there are as many opinions as there are people who use ca to finish. My method is fold up a paper towel several times, apply a little BLO to the towel and wipe on the blank, then holding the towel on the bottom of the blank apply ca to the blank. Keep going back and forth on the blank till it's cured and then repeat as many times as it takes to get a good coat.

Welcome to the group, Scott. As you've found, polyfill isn't "the ticket" for CA application. Some use paper towel, as mentioned; some use the small plastic bags that carry the individual kit parts; some use rubber gloves; one of our members here sells 1" x 4" delrin strips that a lot of people have been very happy with. You just have to find what works for you. That's where the fun is!

cowchaser

Welcome Scott. I use paper towel also. I buy the ones that are perforated at every 1/2 sheet. I think I have been getting bounty at the dollar general or dollar store (whatever it's called). They are cheaper than Walmart or anywhere else I have found.

Ligget

Welcome to the group Scott, there are plenty of CA application instructions in the library![:)]

And dont listen to the rest as my way is the best![;)][:D]

TBone

Welcome to the addiction Scott. CA finish questions will bring as many different answers as there are pens. Pick one of the methods in the library and follow the instructions exactly.....then change one thing at a time until you get the finish you want. Some people do it easily and quickly. People like me are still struggling to get consistent results. The main ingredients are experience and for your technique to be consistent.

txbatons

Welcome, Scott. My favorite paper towels are the kinds that peel off my fingers easier after getting glued with the CA. Of course I haven't found any like that. [;)]

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
Originally posted by scroller99
<br />WELCOME! I can tell you one thing and thats to make sure the CA is dry before turning on the lathe, the little specks on my glasses are always fun to deal with! LOL Happy Holidays Howard[:)]

That's why I always keep my face shield on.[;)]

great12b4ever

Welcome to the addiction Scott. As for the best CA finish, I would start with the finishing Guru on the site, Russ Fairfield's way in the library. This is tried and true and does work. After you get it down pat, then you can experiment with making changes, one at a time until you get osmething that WORKS FOR YOU! (but not Ed ).[:D][:D]

Rob

wlk

Hey, Scott, welcome in. I'm a terrible tyro too, but consider the messed up blanks and kits as "tuition" in the school of hard knocks. They go down easier that way.
Seriously, reading library articles will get you up to speed like fast.[:)] My son and I are sharing lathe time and having good conversations about pens . . . but other things that dads and sons need to talk about. Buy up every opportunity[:)][:)]

But for today (Christmas Eve) and tomorrow, turn off the lathe and enjoy the celebration of the birth of God's Son, who came to provide everlasting life.

God bless you!

Wade Kuhlewind
Connellsville, PA

But we will give ourselves to prayer and the ministry of the Word. Acts 6:4

karlkuehn

Banned
Hi and a big welcome to you! This site has changed my whole aspect on turning, and after browsing and joining many of the forums out there, this one has become my second home. There's so much knowledge in the archives, it's just amazing, even for a seasoned vet!

I think the secret is that there's enough of us wackos out here posting crazy ideas and alternative methods (most of the time based on innovation due to lack of resources or tools) that you're bound to find something that you'd never have thought of even on a good (or bad) day! I know I have!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom