(Freezing) Greetings from San Diego, CA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mordi

Hi Everybody,

Hello from Sunny San Diego where the weather has been below freezing lately! Not used to this cold stuff and looking forward to a warming trend that is supposed to arrive this weekend :)

Recently started to turn pens (Christmas gifts) and am hooked - big time.

I have an Easy Wood carbide tool and also a traditional roughing gouge. I have turned a few stabilized blanks and burls and have much better success using the gouge - the carbide tool seems to catch and blow up these types of blanks :eek:

Anyways, looking to now turn some acrylics.

Any tips on what I need to do to be successful?

Thanks so much,
Mordi

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Once a resin (acrylic, polyresin, alumilite) is turned round, you can use a carbide tool if you are very comfortable with the tool (round nose is easier than square).

The skew takes practice--but when you have it under control, it is a remarkably versatile tool. You CAN take a blank from square to a pen with a skew, as is done here>

Mr Vic

Get yourself some 2" x "2 x ##s, cut to 6" length and pratice with each of your tools...I use the skew mor often then not...

ossaguy

Hi Mordi,

Welcome from a fellow San Diego penturner!

Sure hope it warms up soon......I'm not used to it when it's below 60 or so.

Steve

rholiday

Welcome from South Carolina.

I've used an Easy Wood Finisher, (round carbide), to take acrylic and stabilized from square to round. (Have used a skew also). Had a little chatter a couple of times with the Easy Wood on the acrylic when I was not doing it quite right. The Easy Wood should be level and the carbide at the centerline of the blank.

Enjoy the fun.

mmayo

Welcome to the place to learn a lot more about pen turning.

I guess it is cold when it feels cold or you shiver, no matter where you are from. Welcome for another chilly person in CA. Bring on the sunny CA. Have fun and try leopardwood from Woodturningz - only $0.95/blank N I C E

PenBarbiesLeopardwoodTrimline2web_zps5f51d062.jpg

Last edited:

monophoto

Whiners!

Last year, we had so little snow that I couldn't justify the expense of changing the oil in the snowblower at the end of the season. At least I will be getting my money's worth for that oil this year.

healeydays

Welcome from NH.

Got to say, you folks from Diego are pretty wimpy. My brother and his wife, who lives in Vista are also complaining about the cold and they grew up here in New England...

Mordi

Thanks to all

A "WARM" and hearty thank you to all that responded.

I am familiar with cold weather, having lived in New York for 30 years :wink:

But that was a long time ago and I guess my body is no longer accustomed to freezing temperatures. It actually got so cold, I had to put chap stick on the lips of the bird on my weather vane :eek:

Anyway, it looks like sharp tools are a must, so once the weather warms up a bit, I will hike out to the shed and spend some quality time with the grinding wheel.

Best Regards,
Mordi

Top Bottom