First post

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brad_G

I joined a few months ago, but as they say life happens so it's taken me until now to get my first post up.

I am a 50 year old Navy veteran from southeastern, Ohio. I started turning last September after buying my first lathe. It's a Rikon 70-220, overall it's been a good investment even though I've had to replace the control box, and speed sensor. Rikon tech support was some of the best I've ever seen. I have mainly turned pens, along with a few 6" and smaller bowls here and there.

I am here looking for advice on improving my CA finish, and to learn more about the advantages of HSS vs. Carbide tools, along with just about anything else I can pick up along the way.

My other passion is my 1997 Harley-Davidson Softail Custom, I am a member of a local riders group (not an m/c) to avoid future confusion. The groups name is The Revelatorz Benefit Riders. We have groups in three Ohio counties. Throught the year we host and support multiple charity benefit rides to help those in need in our area. If you're interested in learning more about what we do, please check out our website at Home

Attachments

• 11008510_10203776167196753_8096195225847999323_n.jpg
    11008510_10203776167196753_8096195225847999323_n.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 112
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Hi Brad and welcome from Medina!

I use both HSS and carbide. I love my 3/4
" roughing gouge for most of my work, then alternate with little logic between a spindle gouge (HSS) and the Easy Wood Tools, and some Thompson Tools...

You will get a variety of opinions and more informed info, but for what I understand, HSS will take a better edge than carbide, but not hold up as well and will need resharpening. But as I said, I use and like both.

CA finish... you'll get 1500 different opinions and techniques. Try (repeatedly, the search function on the blue bar above). I have progressed from Friction Wax finish - CA - Dr Pens Plus - Wipe On Polyurethane (and several others). BUT, I have also progressed from wanting to turn/finish a pen in 30 minutes - 45 minutes - 1 hour - 2 days! Experiment and find out what works for you!. Since you are in my area, I'll just share that my CA finished with wood tend to crach as we go from high temps/low humidity - low temps/low humidity, low temps high... etc.... Very frustrating to turn a pen in 68 degrees in the basement, and a week later watch as it spider-webs in -17 degrees in my car (Last winter). But... my lesson to be learned.

Keep asking Q's! and have fun.

The Ohio group meets fairly regularly and we need fresh meat! :tongue:

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f84/

JimB

Welcome from western NY. I also have both HSS and carbide tools. I turn mostly other things besides pens. I use my HSS for 95% of my turning but there are others who use only carbide. You will not know what works for you until you try them.

Magicbob

Welcome from beautiful Akron, Ohio.
A fellow HD guy (2003 FLHPI)
Stop by our meeting in Hartville, I will be demoing a new carbide tool that I manufacture

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Hi from Columbus.

I only use carbide tools now for a variety of reasons but mainly because they do not need to be sharpened. That means I don't need a slow speed grinder and in my little shop (closet) I need every inch of real estate I can get!

As Mark said there are as many CA finish techniques as there are IAP members. The method I use is close to the method in this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orcgOf4siqc

mecompco

Welcome from Central Maine. Nice looking ride--I am so looking forward to spring and getting my '07 Low Rider out.

Regards,
Michael

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Welcome from Texas, Brad - and thanks for your service.

I use a carbide R2 tool almost exclusively for pen turning but I do use a range of HSS tools for other things. As others have noted, it's largely a matter of preference so just try different tools & techniques and see what works best for you.

I hope you will join in on some of the BASH contests & activities going on right now. Let me know if you have any questions about any of them.

Edgar

Top Bottom