Eleven years since my last post???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

beamer

Holy cow ... time's fun when you're havin' flies.

I figure since I haven't been here in 11 years, I should reintroduce myself. And I should immediately disclose my intentions.... (those who remember me know a long story is about to unfold, lol!)

11 years ago, I bought my wedding rings from Bruce Boone and it still sits on my finger today! I found Bruce here and happily gave him my business.

Fast forward to about 2 years ago. I quit my job as a web developer after 17 years due to severe burnout. In the 2 years I've since had no actual job, I started my own business.

I swear I'm not here to promote my business. What I'm after is a supplier for something my products rely upon.

I make branding irons for woodworkers. Those irons have stainless steel handles with a hardwood grip on the end. THIS is what I'm hoping some of you could help point me towards.

I need a supplier for these hardwood grips because I seem to have been one of the few people that didn't fall into the turning vortex. I'm looking to buy hundreds of these and ideally I'd like to support a member of this fine group if possible.

I'm sorry I haven't been here in ELEVEN dang years. I'll be honest with you: I just don't dig turning much - it didn't hook me. The most turning I've done has been the first few hundred handles I needed for these irons and, quite frankly, it would drive me mad and that's a short drive.

I feel like a complete stranger to this place, now, but I used to be kinda active back in the '0s before I got married, bought a house and built up a shop. So much has happened since I was last here and I do feel bad for not hanging with you fine people more in that time. To be honest, I'm stunned it has been that many years ...

I hope you all are well and humbly hope you all don't mind me coming back out of the blue looking for a supplier.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Jason

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
G'Day Jason, and welcome back.

No problem with your turning experience, most of us can relate. Many get the "hook," some escape... You are still welcome to teach us a thing or two!

I hope you will get a response to your inquiry; if not post again and be patient.

You may want to clarify between the Stainless steel handles and the hardwood grips.

We love pictures/examples.

The metal lathe folks may assist with the handles; the wood folks may assist with the handles. Some can do both.

I'd love to see a finished product.

Cheers, Mark

beamer

Hey Terry!, Hey Mark!

You may want to clarify between the Stainless steel handles and the hardwood grips.

We love pictures/examples.

The metal lathe folks may assist with the handles; the wood folks may assist with the handles. Some can do both.

I'd love to see a finished product.

Cheers, Mark

Very valid point - I've got a supply for the stainless steel handles. What I'm hoping to find is the wooden grips. I mean, I have no trouble with bringing my business to metal guys, either, of course. My current supplier has been great, but it's business and things can and must change, right?

Here's a photo of what I'm after - but i'm VERY flexible. It just needs to be nice looking, hardwood, and not too bulky. The steel is 5/16" diameter. Right now I get them about 2-3/4" long, with a 1" deep hole.

Attachments

• IMG_3537-isolated.jpg
    IMG_3537-isolated.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 209

jttheclockman

Welcome back Jason and yes the place has changed since you left but still quite helpful. What are you attaching the handle to the grips with?? From the photos it looks like the handle is quite long. If that be the case is there a specific reason?? How do they heat the iron. Looks interesting. I have a couple electric ones and the handle is shorter for me seems better control.

dogcatcher

If you are looking at a large volume and fully finished, I would go with a commercial outfit that has the CNC and finishing equipment. Only if the orders were in small amount would I look at individuals. I once used a place in Wisconsin that I was happy with, I could order a 1000 and a week later UPS dropped the order on my porch. Unfortunately they are longer on business but there are other companies out there.

beamer

Thanks for all the warm welcomes, everybody! :)

Welcome back Jason and yes the place has changed since you left but still quite helpful. What are you attaching the handle to the grips with?? From the photos it looks like the handle is quite long. If that be the case is there a specific reason?? How do they heat the iron. Looks interesting. I have a couple electric ones and the handle is shorter for me seems better control.

Hi John - I remember that username! :)

The steel is about 7" long and currently, the grips will be pressed on with a drop or two of adhesive. The grips don't see a huge stress since it's not like a screwdriver or chisel. The size is set to fit inside a USPS small flat rate box and I went with longer because I was concerned about long-term heating (via torch) causing damage to the grip. The stainless is a lot less conductive than the brass so it can take a while, though.

Jason,

I found your Gallery, but I couldn't find a site for your sales. Do you do sales to individuals?

Hey Hank! I definitely do sell to individuals. I don't wanna spam the forum at all so I'll PM you my URL.

Thanks!

Rounder

So the questions I would have before throwing my name in the pot.
One kind of wood or a variety?
Consistent shape or a variety of shapes?
What type of finish?
What quantity in what time frame?
What price?
I do have a duplicator so could make consistent product.

beamer

So the questions I would have before throwing my name in the pot.

Hey Randy - Great questions, for sure! It seems like it's okay for me to throw it all out there, eh? Lol ... here goes...

One kind of wood or a variety?
As long as it's a reasonably decent looking hardwood, I'm okay with anything better than, say, poplar. They've been walnut, cherry, maple and are currently oak. Anything like that is fine with me. Doesn't have to be figured or anything fancy - just a nice quality domestic hardwood above paint-grade.

Consistent shape or a variety of shapes?

I'm not married to the current shape. Something nicer than a dowel that feels good in the hand is fine with me. I've been searching around for places and have seen a lot of styles that would fit the bill from chisel and file handles to screwdriver handles and the like. I like a nice hourglass-ish look, personally. I've drawn the current shape in CAD so if it's easiest, I can provide that.

What type of finish?

Currently, a very simple wax polish is all these have. It doesn't need to be any finer than that. I was using the Hut PPP sticks and those are plenty durable and offer a pleasing look and feel.

What quantity in what time frame?

I would be in need of several hundred per year currently and my hope is to have a good stockpile before the Christmas rush starts in October. 300 or so by then would probably hold me into January.

What price?

Ahh the million dollar question. I suppose it would depend on quantity for the supplier? I'm actually looking for bids since I haven't shopped too much around yet, I'm not sure what the market value of, say, a batch of 500 would be priced fairly.

I would rather you have a price you can live with - I don't want to be so cheap that I have to do this search again in 6 months after the boredom with making the same dang thing over and over sets in, lol.

I hope these help ... and thanks for making me spell it out better! :)

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Yea I have been around awhile Jason. Thanks for answering questions. I too believe it will take someone with either a duplicator or cnc machine to produce at the rate and consistency you are looking for. I have neither so can not help. I would get bored though anyway. I tried scrolling some ornaments for a lady once and got board after the first 200. She wanted over 1000 plus she wasn't paying well so that ended quickly. Good luck with the business and your quest for what you seek. Do not be a stranger, stop by from time to time. We will leave the light on for you.:biggrin:

beamer

Yea I have been around awhile Jason. Thanks for answering questions. I too believe it will take someone with either a duplicator or cnc machine to produce at the rate and consistency you are looking for. I have neither so can not help. I would get bored though anyway. I tried scrolling some ornaments for a lady once and got board after the first 200. She wanted over 1000 plus she wasn't paying well so that ended quickly. Good luck with the business and your quest for what you seek. Do not be a stranger, stop by from time to time. We will leave the light on for you.:biggrin:

I completely understand that boredom! I did the first 300 and was dying. For someone who can't really stand turning, that was enough. I can make 'em if I have to... but I don't like it, lol.

Thanks for the welcome back! I still turn metal - 90% of my irons are round and so I do a lot of metal lathe time. I've never forgotten about this place - you guys were a huge help to me when I got my lathe. I remember experimenting with plexiglas as a finish since I can't use CA glue at all without getting a cold for 3 days, lol.

Thanks for the warm welcome back! I will definitely not be a stranger :)

jttheclockman

I completely understand that boredom! I did the first 300 and was dying. For someone who can't really stand turning, that was enough. I can make 'em if I have to... but I don't like it, lol.

Thanks for the welcome back! I still turn metal - 90% of my irons are round and so I do a lot of metal lathe time. I've never forgotten about this place - you guys were a huge help to me when I got my lathe. I remember experimenting with plexiglas as a finish since I can't use CA glue at all without getting a cold for 3 days, lol.

Thanks for the warm welcome back! I will definitely not be a stranger :)

Oh the old plexiglass for a finish. That was a hit for awhile. Some other things have come down the pike but it seems advancements in CA technology have ruled the day. The love hate relationship with CA still exists today 11 years later.:biggrin:

beamer

Oh the old plexiglass for a finish. That was a hit for awhile. Some other things have come down the pike but it seems advancements in CA technology have ruled the day. The love hate relationship with CA still exists today 11 years later.:biggrin:

HAHA! No doubt! I'm still unable to have it anywhere near me ... i haven't had any in the shop for at least 6 or 8 years now. I was too cheap to throw out what i had until it froze up in the bottle in my fridge, lol.

Ahh the good old days of coffee grinding acrylic ... lol

Top Bottom