ditto from Southern Maryland

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MajBob

I too am new here. Don't even own a lathe - YET! The lathe is on its way. Took advantage of the 20% off sale on Jet tools at Woodcraft - the Jet 1642 was ordered yesterday. Also ordered a set of turning tools, and a few pent kits, a book, etc. I am looking for a page or website that lists everything I need to have on-hand when I start my first project, along with a brief tutorial on using each item . . . Can anyone here point me in the right direction?

Anyway, I look forward to a new hobby, and to the pleasure of learning the 'tricks of the trade" from y'all!

Cheers,
Bob Hendry
Southern Maryland

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Crashmph

Welcome to the group... Just look through the tutorials in the library. Every thing is fairly well organized. You should find what you are looking for in there. :)

Fred

Bob, for a first lathe (you didn't say that, but ...) I believe the 1642 will be your grandson's one day. It is a great lathe!

Anyway, Welcome to the Forum. Glad to have you with the rest of us.

You ask what else you need ... Well, hook up the ole trailer to the truck, go to Woodcraft or another woodworking supply place, walk in the door, loudly announce that you need lots of help, and look around. If you don't already have what you see THEN you need it. You will not need everything, but chances are you will sooner or later!

BTW, be sure the bank account is F U L L and that SWMBO is happy with your new expense, er, hobby! Be sure to make her something right away!

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome Bob! Cav gave a link to a PDF file that gives a good overview of the many aspects, tools and methods associated with turning.

Thanks Cav. In my traveling lately, I have been a little late with some posts. I appreciate you doing that!

Top Bottom