Cheers from Goose Creek, SC

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JackTheSquid

I was simply searching the web for some information on tailstock drilling, when I reached this site via Google. What an amazing find!!! Although I am brand new to turning as I rec'd a mini Jet lathe for Christmas, I am truly hooked and am loving it. I am a retired Navy Chief, and currently am working in the manufacturing sector as a maintenance electrician/technician. I have made some pens and bottle stoppers and given them away as gifts, and am beginning to get serious with sales in mind because everyone just loves this stuff. It's nice to see such a thriving and supportive community and I hope I can be an asset going forward.

Jack

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome Jack. Join in the madness of this work/hobby/money hole! :biggrin: Don't be afraid to post some picts of your work!

So, below is a link to a PDF file that gives a general overview of tools, methods, pens and options that might be helpful in making pens. It does not go into detail of the many aspects at all, but just gives a general overview and options. There are a few minor mistakes that will hopefully be corrected in the near future but overall it gives some basic directions.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42446

markgum

Welcome Jack from the west coast. Ex-navy myself spent my time in Norfolk. (only did 6 years, then kicked out for disabliity). Lots of great info here, and look forward to seeing your work.

skywizzard

Jack, welcome from GA. I know where Goose Creek is located. My son lives in Summerville. I can assure you the the hobby is addictive and this is a great resource for information and support.

Hey Jack,
Here's a welcome from NORTH CHARLESTON!! Grew up in goose creek, parents still live there. Lived in summerville last 8 years and moved to N.Chas 1 year ago to be closer to work. Hope to see more of you around the site.

DJ

charlestonpenworks.com

hughbie

jack, welcome to your new home!!!
i have been stationed in charleston before......back in the 80's. i lived in Ladson and was stationed on the James K. Polk, before it was converted.
what were you stationed to before retirement?

again...welcome from one retired bubblehead to a squid

JackTheSquid

I am a bubblehead, also...we can call each other that, but anyone else them's fightin words, eh?? I joined in 1980, went through the nuke field training, ended up an RO on the John C Calhoun (Blue) and the Daniel Webster (Blue) and took the Webster into the yards to convert to a nuke trainer. Then went west to Guam and back to Norfolk and out in 2000. That's 20 years in one sentence!! I did love it, though. I was ready to go back to sea, but the wife said NO, NO, NO!!!

fiferb

Welcome from the upstate. There's a group of pen turners getting together Saturday the 4th of April at WoodZone in Columbia. If you can make it we'd like to have you.

hughbie

i joined in 81, nuc field, knucle-dragger, MM, jimmie k then to trident training facility in kings bay, then to the west virginia and then to rotten groton to finish my 20. got out in 2001 2 months before 9/11
nice to see another bubblehead on board...never mind them target riders.....jealous as they are! (right cav?)

patharris

Local Chapter Leader
Greeting & Welcome Jack, from Lexington, SC. I also invite you to come to Columbia on Saturday April 4th to our Carolina Pen Turners meeitng. Go to Local Chapters here on IAP and click on Carolina for details.
Pat
Lexington, SC

Top Bottom