CenCal adds another

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gomeral

It's taken a little effort to get here (thanks to Jeff for helping!), but now that I'm here, it's time to introduce myself, eh?

Hello, I'm Daniel, and I'm a penturner.

I got hooked a little over 3 years ago after signing up for a class at a local Woodcraft, where I made my first pen especially for my then-fiancée. Although hooked, I immediately started travelling heavily for business and didn't get a chance to do anything else for another year, when I bought a bunch of gear with good intentions, but...enter business travel (again). So over 3 years, I turned a grand total of 2 pens.

We've finally "settled" in Fresno, where we are in an apartment until we sell our house back in MO; however, the apartment comes with a 2-car gar..er, workshop! So about 2 weeks ago I set up all the gear and got to work, and I've now turned another 10 pens! Most were gifts for family, but I made a pen/pencil set to use myself, figuring they could double as advertising. It's worked, I've already got a commission for 2 pen/pencil sets! So to sum up:

• Sorta new to this, but not really;
  • Hooked;
  • Turned a dozen pens total, so far; and
  • Spent a bunch of money on more stuff.
Now to see how many pens I can turn before the baby arrives in 6 weeks! :wink:

daniel

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Welcome to IAP, this is the best place to grow in your penmaking knowledge and worsen your addiction!

We are all here to answer your questions, I learn a ton from this place everyday.

Just so you know, the moneysink only gets worse, soon you will be buying expensive kits, then you will be selling expensive pens, then you will have a little business going, then it will just keep getting bigger and bigger and the pens will get better and better! Its a wonderful whirlwind of money spending and pen making.

Again, welcome to IAP, glad to have you with us.

Last edited:

gomeral

Awesome. My first 2 responses from geographically significant areas: I grew up in S.A., and I live 1 block outside of Clovis. Whodathunkit? :biggrin:

gomeral

Welcome from Scotland my friend!

Thanks! I have to ask where in Scotland - to go with my previous post (the geographically significant thing), I have family in Argyll. :rolleyes:

Welcome to the Forum from another turner over on the east coast area ... Tucker, GA actually.

Okay, I have to stop this. I used to live ~5 miles west of Tucker, just north of Clairmont and I-85.

daniel

Last edited:

gomeral

Welcome from Oregon!!! Have you ever lived here:wink::biggrin:

I used to live in Oxford and work in Cincinnati, so Jim's been 'tagged', but never Oregon! So you and Rick win! :biggrin:

Thanks for the welcomes, all. It's a really nice group here, I'm glad I found it.

daniel

hughbie

wow.......i don't think i could have handled having all the gear to do this and not be able to do anything with it. you have mucho will power!
welcome from missouri....whereabouts do you own here in the state?

gomeral

wow.......i don't think i could have handled having all the gear to do this and not be able to do anything with it. you have mucho will power! welcome from missouri....whereabouts do you own here in the state?

Yep, it was tough to walk down to the basement and see it all sitting there, knowing that what little time I had was to be spent finishing bathroom renovations, etc. But it was also nice to know that it was there waiting for me, and the expense is now a distant memory so I get to spend more. :tongue:

We own in Des Peres, a STL suburb. Doesn't look like we'll be selling it anytime soon, either... :frown:

daniel

Top Bottom