Cartridge pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Papa mark

Question, I have some old 264 caliber shells that I received from my mother when my dad passed away and the rifle and I am wanting to make a pen for my brother from one of these shells. I have the tools to be able to drill the bullet but I am wondering is it safe to pull the lead and then just fire the primer to discharge it? After I ready the casing, how do I go about attaching the casing to a blank and ready it for a pen cartridge?
Any help will be appreciated.

Papamark

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lsldh

pencasing

I think that I would remove the projectile and put a slimline nib in it. Then I would punch out the primer, maybe someone that does reloading of shells could help. After that I would drill out the primer end with a 1/4" drill bit and install a transmission from the slimline kit. Then for the top you can use any material that yoyu want to. Any problems shoot me back an thread. I am not sure what size the projectile is? Make sure that you clean up the casing and then paint it with a clear laquer before assembly.

seamus7227

Bass row and Slabelas:wink:(dont want to name correctly) sell an unloading (hammer)so to speak, that safely dislodges the bullet and gun powder. once that is done, put about 5 drops of 3-n-1 oil into the shell casing (open end up) and let it sit for a few days. the oil soaks into the primer and renders it useless. from that point, you will need a punch small enough to pop out the primer from the inside out. I highly suggest if you have questions, that you ask first before gettin with it, I did, and it paid off, and I felt reassured about doing it myself. Once all of that is done, read my tutorial on the process of making the shell casing with bullet, and give it hell! If you have any questions, pm me.

Now, naturally, i dont encourage anyone to attempt any of this without first consulting with a gunsmith or experienced reloader, However, I spoke with the pro's at the two named places above and took their advise. The cost of the hammer device was less than 20 bucks.

http://content.penturners.org/articles/2010/rifleshellpen.pdf

Sylvanite

I presume you mean 264 Winchester Magnum caliber. That is a pretty big cartridge, more like 300 WinMag than 30-06 Spg. My preference with a shellcase of this size, is to use a cigar pen kit. The case dimensions are in between those of 300 WinMag and 338 WinMag, so 300 Winmag Instructions and 338 WinMag Instructions might give you some assembly ideas.

There are tools that will safely remove a bullet from a loaded cartridge without marring it. Look for an "inertial bullet puller" as described in a previous post. After removing the bullet, you can dispose of the powder either by pouring it into a small pile and burning it, or by spreading it on the ground (where it acts as a fertilizer).

Regarding firing a primed but otherwise empty shellcase in your rifle, there are too many safety considerations regarding the discharge of a firearm for me to give you a simple yes/no answer. If you choose to go that route, be sure to follow all the same safety procedures you would for regular shooting. You may find the fired case difficult to extract.

[size=+1]DO NOT rely on oil to deactivate a primer![/size] This is a dangerous myth. Although primers used to be sensitive to oil contamination, they are now quite resistant. Either way, oil might damage a primer, but it has never been a reliable way to render one inert. If you are not comfortable dealing with live primers, find someone who is to remove them for you.

If any IAP member finds themselves in this situation, please send me a PM and I'll see what I can to to help you out.

Sincerely,
Eric

jskeen

I am going to try to reinforce Eric's comment above. Oil is not a sure thing primer killer by any stretch. It may get 9 out of 10, or even 99 out of 100, but that other one is a potential killer. Especially if you are trying to use some sort of punch inserted through the case mouth to knock it out. That punch makes a dandy projectile if the primer goes off, and at arms length can be as lethal as a bullet. Better to just not go there. Those of us who do this on a regular basis have our methods that work for us because we are prepared to deal with the results that one odd time out of however many. You are only a couple of hours away from Houston, if you ever get over this way, let me know and I'll be happy to fix up however many cases you might need. There are several members even closer than Me who would probably be happy to do the same.

James

Top Bottom