Bushings for Pencil Kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dave Talbot

Hi: Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place. Not totally familiar with the forum software yet and the protocol.

Anyway, I got a set of five (5) bushings to go with a pencil kit for a Lee Valley Half Twist pencil and can't figure out the configuration/sequence for the 5 bushings. Have pics, will share. Can anybody help me?

Thanks,

Dave:mad:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dave Talbot

Lee Valley Pencil Bushings

Thanks Ron: Yes, I was trying to follow the instructions from Lee Valley. The bushing set has five (5) pieces and the diagram shows only 3 or 4. Confusing. I measured the key parts and compared the measurements to the bushings. Still can't figure out what to do with the fifth bushing, unless it's only a spacer.

Here's what I measured:

Bushing A 0.462" and 0.311" Matches the Clip
Bushing B 0.543" and 0.311" Matches the Centre Band
Bushing C 0.543" ?
Bushing D 0.466" Matches the Twist Holder Flange
Bushing E 0.370" Matches the Nib

Clip 0.466"
Centre Ring 0.538"
Nib 0.363"
Twist Hldr Flange 0.468"

Last edited:

Chief Hill

Yes it's just a spacer/extra piece.
FYI Bushings ways go right next to or inside the piece your turning the purpose of the bushing is to ensure diameter of the wood is exactly the same as the bushing itself or the pen parts when Its assembled.
Just make one and it will all make sense.

Edit. Oooppppps half twist. Thought it was a slimline either way set it up with the 4 closest bushings and use the caliper as you turn. Measure each section to match with the corisponding bushing and part.

Last edited:

Dave Talbot

Thanks again Chief! You gave me the clue. The pencil kit has two (2) tubes of different diameters. To fit them both on the same mandrel requires the stepped bushings, which fit inside the barrel (top) tube with the larger diameter. The spacer doesn't appear to work for me on the mandrel I'm using. Not long enough. we're now a couple steps closer to starting to turn the pencil.

hilltopper46

Those are lousy instructions for what we also know as the "Perfect Fit" pen. After Step 5 in the "Turning the Pen" potion iof the instructions, the extra spacer can be slipped over the tube from which you removed the barrel material (the groove) and if the barrel is not yet to size used to size the barrel to match the center (centre) band.

My preference for turning the pen is:

1> Round the blank for the top barrel close to final size with no taper
2> cut the "groove" 1-7/8 inch from the finial end of the top barrel
3> Slip the spacer in place, between the end of the wood and the original stepped bushing
4> turn the top barrel to its final diameter
5> finish the pen

It is necessary to remove at least the bushings and perhaps the blank from the mandrel to do this. Sometimes you will need to dress the brass tube on the end to get the spacer to slip over it because of a burr raised by the barrel trimmer.

Hoping this helps....

Top Bottom