bushings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

scroller99

Ever see a grown man cry? The box I had all my bushings in tipped and mixed them all up, I have purchased a caliper and was wondering if anyone has the sizes of them that would share it with me? the only ones I know what they are is slimline. I looked in the archives and didn't find anything in this topic, thanks Howard

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kcordon

Howard,

I have a spreadsheet I got somewhere for all of the CSUSA kits. I don't know how current it is, but it should help. If you want it let me know and I can send it to you.

Kevin

its_virgil

No boxes for me. I store them this way.
2007112952856_bushings.jpg

Do a good turn daily!
Don

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
When you get them sorted again, you might think about one of these. Flea market purchase - old revolving spice rack holds 16 sets in individual jars.

tn_IMG_0035.jpg

pssherman

If you can't get a spice rack, you could use prescription medicine bottles and make a turntable. BTW, I like that turntable idea, uses less table or wall space than a flat rack.

Paul in AR

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
Randy,
The containers are glass. I have thought about getting some prescription bottles that same size to replace them but just haven't gotten around to it yet. Been looking for another rack at flea markets also and they seem to be scarce. I really like the small footprint it takes on my bench.

Rob

For what it might be worth, for the last couple of years I've been using the clear triangular shaped plastic tubes to store bushings. The tubes I'm referring to are those sold by CSUSA/PSI/Woodcraft etc for protecting or displaying completed pens. Very cheap, 50 cents each in packs of ten I think. I have two sizes, seem to recall that the small one is about 5/8" and the larger about 7/8". Haven't found any of the bushing sets that we use that won't fit and the tube is big/long enough that you can keep a spare set of each as well. I use one of the label makers (like the one Don uses for his shower curtain ring storage system) to ID the bushing type, stick it on the tube and then store them in a drawer in a tool box close to my lathe. Store and mark my drill bits the same way. Since the tubes have caps, even if I drop it, most likely nothing disappears under the bench. Also, because of the shape of the tube they don't roll. I had some 1 inch round plastic lab tubes with caps before and they went in the circular file after chasing bushings and drill bits became too common. Link is below, but CSUSA certainly isn't only source.

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Pen_Making___Pen_Boxes___Displays___Triangular_Pen_Box___tri_box?Args=

Rob

fuzzydog

I bought a storage box used by beaders at Michaels for about 3 bucks. It is a "Craft Mates locking caddy." It has 7 compartments measuring 1.5 X 2 X 1 inches. What I like is that each compartment can be opened while all others remain locked.
David

leehljp

Member Liaison
Just a word of warning:
1. Glass jars break - WWking friends have done that more than I can count over the years. The result with bushings would be mixed bushings and broken glass.
2. Plastic does the same, and gives the same results.
3. BOXES, spill even with locked tops, DAMHIKT.

Most of you probably will never experience the above but some will. I have seen the above in real life, read on other forums and even seen on this forum the happenings from the three mentioned above.

Glass baby food bottles were recommended for small parts for a long time appearing in many magazines as the next best organizer, until enough reports of people bumping, dropping or something hitting the bottles, breaking them and mixing parts. Same happens to plastic bottles but at least there is not a lot of glass to clean up.

The curtain hangers do the purpose here. People are free to use what works best for them and what they are comfortable with, BUT chances favor a prepared mind, or in this case, a fool proof bushing holder/organizer. I did NOT want to change my organizational madness, but Randy put a bug in my ear recently on this subject. That, with all the experiences of 1, 2, & 3 above prompted me to make a change, exactly like Don's picture above. Aging, small space and bumping things are a fact of life for me, and probably for others too!

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
Hank,

"Aging, small space and bumping things are a fact of life for me, and probably for others too!"

LOL You been reading my mail????

Ok, I'm going to look for something to replace the glass![:D]

Fred

Well, I learned early on that it is far easier for me anyways, to keep the bushings on a mandrel and store the mandrel with the particular kit parts. I have one mandrel for each kit I make and so far I have no problems and all the individual bushings are right there and ready to go. [:D]

Randy_

Originally posted by Fred_erick<br />..... keep the bushings on a mandrel and store the mandrel with the particular kit parts. I have one mandrel for each kit I make and so far I have no problems and all the individual bushings are right there and ready to go. [:D]

I guess that would work just fine; but is sort of an expensive method for those that have 15 or 20 sets of bushings.[^]

tiedt

I keep the bushings in the little ziploc baggie that they came in with the tag on it for what they go to. Then I just throw the little baggies in a drawer organizer that is labeled for each size pen. Works well for me.

Rick_G

I found this pdf file somewhere on the web and can't find it again. I was going to link back to it for someone else but couldn't find the original again so I put it on my site.

http://www.gibs-web.ca/bushings.pdf

Lists many common bushings and their sizes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom