A brand new newbie

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jon-wx5nco

Hello all,
I have been looking at the forum for the last few days. All I can say is, I am impressed! The title of this message says "A brand new newbie". That is exactly what I am. For those of us who are in the NE Oklahoma area, there is a show on KRSC called "The Woodturners Workshop". I have been watching that show for about a year now. I have been fascinated by his work. I was also fascinated by the pens and pencils my grandpa use to turn. I kick myself for not taking the time to learn from him (I was the typical teenage boy... only one thing on my mind.. unfortunately, woodworking wasn't it ). Anyway, while watching those shows, I have mentioned to my wife that it would be neat if I could do that...

I said all that to say... last monday (my b-day) I got my first lathe. Now, what to do with it. I have a Woodcraft a few blocks from the house. I have gone in there a few times over the past weekend and I was like a little kid in the candy store. While I was there I picked up one of their class schedules. I will be taking my first lathe class (pen turning) later this month.

I'm looking forward to the fun that is about to be had.

Jon

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DennisM

Welcome!

You are going to need a set of tools, (great starter set if you have a harbor freight near by is there 44.00 set), kits, bushings, blanks, etc..

When I first started a year ago, I spent days just watching youtube videos on penturning and turning in general, Then turned my first pen.

Have fun, enjoy the lathe and most of all, turn something anything..

Jon-wx5nco

Dennis,
I have a harbor freight about 2 miles from the house. I also received a lathe tool set (from harbor freight) for my b-day. I think I am about to wear youtube out watching their turning videos :)

Russell Eaton

I like to go to woodcraft but you can save money by useing the vendors off of this website and help out some realy good folks. That is what I try to do, don't get me wrong I still shop at woodcraft. To the tung of probably 3,000$ in the last year. More and more I shop with the vendors here.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome Jon! This is a lot of fun for sure!

Below are links to two threads/articles that have lots of information on pen turning. The first one is a very basic overview of the many aspects of getting into turning pens.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42446

The second link has postings by different pen turners and what they wish they had known earlier:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46654

Here is another link - a PDF on the acronyms used here. While confusing to new turners, it sure helps abbreviate a lot of repetitive typing.

http://content.penturners.org/articles/2009/Acronyms.pdf
Above Link Corrected!

Last edited:

Sberger

Welcome Aboard! eBay is also a good place to get some good cheap blanks to learn turning. The first thing you need to learn is to get some good tools and learn how to sharpen them. If you neglect this you will become discouraged and quit, and the quality will never develop. Good luck!

Steve

Top Bottom