A blindish old gent goes pen turning.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ElderlyGent

Hi all.
I am new to 'Fora' generally so please forgive me if this should be some place else. I hope it is not too long for this area on the site.
My name is Drew and I live on the Isle of Man probably known to our UK residnts, but maybe unknown to our members here on the site who live in far away places such as Australia or the USA etc. The Island lies in the middle of the Irish Sea half way bewteen the UK and Ireland. You can Google it if interested, it's well worth it. .
So why am I on here? I am 83 and have been retired many years after a very full life but recently my wife who is 20 years younger than me (Yippee) retired and decided to learn about Proof Reading as a possible addition to our income at some point in the future, so we still go our diverse ways at times. Mine to the shed.
Some time ago I met on the internet a blind wood turner by the name of Chris Fisher, who has a Youtube channel called 'The Blind Wood Turner' (He makes some fantastic stuff) of course and he was the inspiration for me to get back into turning generally.
Why him? Well I too am very partially sighted, Presently it is down to about 25% of what all you fully sighted folks have. I have some sight in one eye only. So I thought that if HE can do it so can I.
I bought a mid range lathe and started turning bowls and all the ususal stuff.
My wife is an American so every year we go on safari to the States to visit her twin sister and all the usual relatives.
The last time we were there my Brother-in-Law who is a woodworker suggested that I tried a pen or two on his lathe. I admit I was very reluctant to do this as it seems very fiddly at times, but he persisterd and so I had a go under supervision.
Amasing. I can do it. He also does some part time work in the Woodcraft franchise so we did a shopping trip to get all the starter kit I would need.
Since then I have progressed somewhat, but am eager to take it further, but this raises some questions. LIke the deeper you get into it the more expensive it becomes and more time consuming when you have to cope with a disability. So after looking at dozrens of videos on Youtube on the 'How to do it' theme, all there seem to have litterally hunderds of pens, as I am sure many of you on here do. Obviously they must sell them. You can only give so many away, and this is only possible if you can stand to lose the cost of the kits and materials.
I would like to be able to cover this cost, not to make 'money' at it, but as a hobby that is self sustaining. So can this be done.? Are they 'collectible', or do you just put them onto Ebay or similar? Craft Fairs come to mind but the total population of the Island includung men, women and children is onlyu 80,000 so very snall.
The photos are just very quick ones. The general one shows a very few of the items I have done in the past before pen turning and possibly shouldn't be here. Apologoes if so..
So that's me folks. Any advice will be more than welcome to help me go in the right direction.
Cheers

Attachments

• BB (1).jpg
    BB (1).jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 168
  • BB (2).jpg
    BB (2).jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 181
  • DD (1).jpg
    DD (1).jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 187
  • DD (2).jpg
    DD (2).jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 165
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Welcome to the IAP Drew.
No need to apologize for the extra photo, there is a Forum for "other things we make" when you want to show off your turnings as you make and post them individually. You might have luck selling your pens along side your other turnings at the craft fairs you mentioned. Lots of our members sell the pens they make by word of mouth through friends and family even if its only to pay for their hobby. You would just need to start letting people know you sell them. Etsy stores seem to be more popular over Ebay.
A lot of what works for someone else will not work for you, you will have to explore the markets in your area to see if you can make enough sales and what kind of prices your market will support. You might find a store owner that would carry your pens for sale for you.

Good luck and have fun with it.

csr67

Welcome! You live in a beautiful place! I spend many hours each year watching the wonderful Isle of Man motorcycle races on TV, but someday I hope to go see it in person.

Sandsini

Welcome Drew!

You seem like a delightful man, and a lucky one as well (20 years?) so I'm looking forward to hearing more from you. I started this hobby myself about a year ago and I love it. I enjoy my time in my shop, I love using the pens and I love it when someone else likes my pens enough to purchase one from me.

I certainly don't make any money doing it, but I have been able to build up my inventory and increase the quality of the components I use as well as purchase new and better tools to be able to make better quality pens. The best way to ruin a fun hobby, at least for me, is to feel like you are part of a production line, punching out product just because you think it will sell.

Once my friends and family saw what I was doing, the orders began to come in, and then their friends and friends of friends purchased pens from me as well. I've found Etsy to be a good marketing venue for me and much less painful than sitting at a craft show all weekend (since I still work full time, the weekends are my shop days).

You will find a lot of support here, there are a lot of very talented and creative craftsmen here that will be an inspiration to you. They are for me.

Cheers,
Eric

randyrls

Drew; Welcome!

You may want to look into the tourism aspect of selling pens outside of the Isle. With such a limited population, you have limited sales potential, but there are not likely to be many pen turners either!

If there are any woods indigenous to the Isle, that might be another selling point.

sbwertz

Welcome, Drew. I am a volunteer at our local Center for the Blind and Visually Impaired. I teach the students there how to turn pens! We recently sent a bunch of pens to the American Association of Woodturners annual symposium. Many of them were turned by totally blind turners. All were made by turners who were blind or visually impaired. We have about a hundred turners here in Phoenix, Arizona at the Center. Some have only turned one or two pens, but many have gone on beyond pens to make pepper mills, bottle openers, napkin rings, etc. You are limited only by your imagination and perseverance. Welcome and good luck in your endeavors.

Here are links to some pictures of our turners and our setup.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f18/blind-turners-arizona-center-blind-130720/

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f18/lighthouse-blind-turning-project-130012/

Last edited:

BKelley

Drew,
Welcome to the world of pen turning. It is a great hobby and I hope you will enjoy it as much as I do. What part of the States do you visit, perhaps you might be able to visit one of the local IAP club meetings. I live in an Atlanta, Georgia suburb and would be glad to have you visit our local IAP meeting. Good luck with your pen making and have a wonderful day.

Ben Kelley

Top Bottom