Beginning to learn in San Francisco

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Richard Earl

I have been doing pens for only a little while, but I really love doing it. It is a great hobby for retirement. Now I just have to figure what to do with all the pens I am making. Here is a recent example. It uses premium curly koa that I bought while in Hawaii for making fly reel grip inserts. Looks good on a pen too it seems. At least I hope that it does.

Attachments

• Koa-Fountain-Pen-web2.jpg
    Koa-Fountain-Pen-web2.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 158
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

shull

Welcome aboard Richard, It looks like you are getting the hang of this craft very quickly. That is one beautiful pen. Isn't Koa a great wood?

Steve

MDEdwards

I'm new to turning

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen
I started turning pens last summer to give as thank you gifts to my patients(wounded soldiers and marines) while living at a hotel near Washington D.C. The manager allowed me to set up in the parking lot. Aeromedical Evacuation nurses and medical technicians would present the pens to wounded individuals while being transported. My co-workers enjoyed this very personal way of saying thanks.
Inspiration came from a gild of woodworkers from Alexandria VA. They were carving walking canes to present at Walter Reed and Bethesda military hospitals.
I'll attempt to attach a picture here.

Attachments

• 9 Sep 08 129.jpg
    9 Sep 08 129.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 93

Richard Earl

Very nice work, Richard. You are off to a flying start. If possible, could you post another photo of the pen closed?

OK, Here is a photo of the pen closed.

I am also posting a pen I just finished in the photo section. It's spalted maple, but it came out much better than the other ones I tried, just luck I guess.

Attachments

• Koa-Fountain-Pen-closed-web.jpg
    Koa-Fountain-Pen-closed-web.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 75

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome, Richard! That is a very nice pen you've made there. Any chance of sending it here??

Really, beautiful work! And welcome to the group. Beautiful wood!

JohnU

Welcome to the madness! You'll soon have more wood than you can ever turn and empty pockets! Get a look at the pinecone pens in the Show Off Your Pens forum. Im guessing you got some of those sugar pines in your area.

Top Bottom