Beginner here

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bfrikken

Hi - My name is Bill. I'm from Michigan.

Been woodworking for close to 8 years. I was able to try my hand at turning when I was at my father-in-law's about a month ago. I got hooked. I recently bought a mini lathe and some pen kits to get started. This is my first pen attempt. I have a lot to learn with finishing, as it did not go well at all. I had to sand off two attempts and I finally put on an oil based minwax finish I had, thus the matte finish. It still looks nice and I'm happy with it:) I'll try my hand with a few more slim lines I think. The used tools I bought were sharpened before I got them, so that'll be a next thing to do is figure out how to sharpen for myself.

200851142834_pen1%20002.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PaulDoug

Hey! I get to be the first to welcome you. Nice job on the pen. I like a matte finish on some pens. I also think that finishing is the hardest part of the pen turning. I keep getting a little better with each pen I'm pretty new at this also). Patients is the escret.

RonInSpringTX

Welcome Bill from Spring,TX.
You may want to look into getting some HUT wax sticks (the brown one, satin) also, the HUT Crystal Coat (liquid carnuba type wax) and some Renaissance Wax. (As well as a load of clean soft cotton rags & some cheese cloth and some micro-mesh pads, up to 12,000 grit) First sand up to the 12,000 grit.(this is for wood blanks, acrylic is different!!!) Use the stick first, take it off with the cheese cloth, then a couple of coats of the Crystal Coat, then the Ren wax. (crystal coat & ren wax you buff with the cotton rags)
If it's not an exotic wood (Cocobolo, etc, oily woods), after finishing with the 12,000 grit, you can try spraying them with the high gloss polyurethane Minwax makes. You'll have to get a coat hanger(or similar) make a loop in the end (not so big it obstructs the bottom of the blank for coverage) lightly spray, sand lightly between coats, 2 or 3 coats should do it!! Lemme know if this helps!!

Ronnie in Spring,TX

bfrikken

Thanks for all the hello's. Nice to see some fellow michiganders on the board. I turned my second pen and the turning itself didn't go so well due to my blank not sitting right against the bushing. I did, however, get a real nice finish with CA glue. Next I'll try a CA/BLO finish on pen #3. my father in law picked up a 10 pack of slimlines for me. Nothing like encouraging a new habit.

JohnU

Welcome from IL. Nice job on the pen. Keep an open mind and ask lots of questions. Also, dont be afraid to try several different finishes. There's always something new to learn here.

Ciloman

Hey, my grandson and I have gotten great results finishing with a couple different products. Hut friction polish. Apply very small amounts with a soft cotton cloth with the lathe stopped. Kick it on and get to high rpm's it will start to shine. Two to three applications is great. Also been getting great finish with Mylands liquid sanding sealer and Mylands friction finish. You can eaven get a completely natural shine by burnishing. Take a handful of the shavings from your turned pen, kick up the lathe and hold the shavings to the pen. The natural oils in the shavings will produce a nice low lustre finish.

Good luck

Ciloman

Hey, nice turning, Rich and Chris from Massachusetts.:)my grandson and I have gotten great results finishing with a couple different products. Hut friction polish. Apply very small amounts with a soft cotton cloth with the lathe stopped. Kick it on and get to high rpm's it will start to shine. Two to three applications is great. Also been getting great finish with Mylands liquid sanding sealer and Mylands friction finish. You can eaven get a completely natural shine by burnishing. Take a handful of the shavings from your turned pen, kick up the lathe and hold the shavings to the pen. The natural oils in the shavings will produce a nice low lustre finish.

Good luck

Top Bottom