Bart from Kentucky

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DJ1075

Hello all. I'm new to the forums and pen turning for that matter. I received a handmade wooden pen for Christmas and wondered how it was made. About 15 hours of watching youtube videos later I bought a lathe. I've made around 24 pens now and am addicted. There are so many options and styles. I've been including cotton yarn in the turnings prior to my CA finish most recently. Its very therapeutic I've found. I work as a manager all day and my time escapes me. By the end of the day I know I've been super busy but its hard to point at what I have achieved for the day. Making pens is the opposite. If I invest and hour, I'll have a beautiful little work of art to show for it.
I'm from Bowling Green KY and happy to be part of the group. Now I'm really wishing we had a local Woodcraft or Klingspor's. Its a commute to buy anything not online. All the best.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome Bart. Pen making can be therapeutic . . . until it becomes addictive and sucks all your money into machinery! :biggrin:

I grew up doing woodworking then moved overseas. No room for my woodworking tools, and making pens was the only thing I could start and finish in the same day. It was rewarding.

I received a handmade wooden pen for Christmas and wondered how it was made.

Someone posted on this forum a few years ago that at their fair booth, someone asked "But how do you wrap the wood around the pen?" . . . So I guess you found out. Post some picts of your work.

One last thing - Check out our Library: Library Index - International Association of Penturners

Lots of great information there but there are plenty of great helpers here to answer questions too!

Pen Joe

Welcome from Louisiana, its fun and can get expensive but what is not anymore, finally started selling some, these people are great here.

mnerland

Hi Bart, I live in BG as well and just got started in pen turning and just joined the forum as well. Looking forward to a fun hobby!

PenPal

Hi Bart welcome from Australia. Isolation is not unusual in our big country,my nearest dealer is 200 miles away and I live in the nations Capital of 400,000 people.. Yesterday I ordered penkits from Timberbits.com in Sydney in the afternoon and this morning they arrived delivered to my front door. The owner of Timberbits is in Europe at the moment.

When I first started I made my first lathe and kits were rare and scarce, they had to come from China to America and then here.

Look for an established Wood Turning Group if you can you will go ahead in leaps and bounds

A favourite expression on the forum is show us your pens.

Peter.

PenPal

Just did a small look on Google ,Nashville is the same distance from you with well organised Wood Groups and Multi Talented Turners. About the same distance I courted my wife in the the 1950,s for three years from age 17 to 20 when we married nigh on 64 yrs ago.

From Woodies you will learn the ropes involved in purchases ,best practices and friendships.

Two new guys from the same area today ,get together.

Peter.

Top Bottom