Another noob! This one from Bonsall, CA (northern San Diego County)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dthayer

Hello all!

I have never turned a thing in my life but I have some experience in woodworking and woodturning is something that I've always wanted to try! I'm just in the research phase right now so will probably mostly be just lurking... :wink:

I'm looking forward to learning much from all of you!!!

Thanks,
dirk

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

Dirk,
Welcome from Virginia!

The best part about not having turned is that you have not acquired any bad turning habits.
There are plenty of articles in the library here, you can watch U Tube videos and best of all, is to get hooked up with a woodturning club/other penturner. Most clubs have a mentoring program for new turners. This is invaluable!
Learning to sharpen your tools is as important as learning to turn.

A few years back, I was going to take a bowl turning class at Woodcraft which one of our club members was teaching. He said "Save your money, come on up to the shop one day and we will spend the day on bowl turning!" The only cost was my time and buying us lunch at a local diner!

jsolie

Welcome from just up the road a bit! There's a lot to learn on YouTube and the library here has a lot of really good information too for getting going. The San Diego Wood Turners is a pretty active group, they meet down in San Marcos down from the Fry's a little bit.

Is the Bonsall International Airport still there? I didn't see it the last time I went through there with all the construction on the 76 and all.

dthayer

Thanks for the welcome!

@Charlie_W: I love your story about the class. I'm signed up for a pen turning class at our closest Woodcraft but I'd love to have a day to watch someone with experience at work.

@jsolie: Nope. Bonsall International is no more! It got bulldozed when they did the middle stretch of 76 a few years ago. :eek: :airplane:

oneleggimp

Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan 48230 United States o
Hello all!

I have never turned a thing in my life but I have some experience in woodworking and woodturning is something that I've always wanted to try! I'm just in the research phase right now so will probably mostly be just lurking... :wink:

I'm looking forward to learning much from all of you!!!

Thanks,
dirk
Welcome from Michigan

philipff

SOCaL help

Look on the AAW web site for the SD Wood Turners club. They have a huge pool of talented members, great meetings and people most anxious to help you learn. Anytime I am in SD Co I make a point of visiting the meetings, they are that good, and I live in VA. Philip

ossaguy

Welcome from just a bit south from you,in San Marcos.

x2 on the SD Woodturners club.They meet once a month down here,I should join again....

If I can help with any pen-related questions,give me a shout.The biggest things I have ever turned are bottle stoppers,and 1 back scratcher.

I want to learn how to turn lidded boxes someday.I saw a demo on making boxes one Saturday at the SDWT,and it sure looks like they would be fun to learn to make.

There sure is a lot of things to learn from the talented group here on the IAP!

Steve

Top Bottom