Another from Central PA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

affyx

Hello all!

Got started in pens on a shopsmith last year, then upgraded to a Rikon Midi.

I love turning and making pens; this forum is a great find! Thanks to whoever came up with and maintains it!

If this pic uploads correctly, I'm attaching a pic of a White Oak cigar (woodcraft kit) from last weekend - my first that wasn't part of the infamous PSI rosewood/slimline starter kit. I don't have a sleeve for my barrel trimmer and freehanding sanding the ends was problematic, so (as with most of my work) it looks GREAT from a distance :) (the pic is from my phone, it looks better in person)

I used the smallest sorby spindlemaster on this (first time trying that tool) - wow what a great chisel! it's just finished with some canning wax burnished in on the lathe; the white oak has a real "antique" look to it and the feel is great.

Anyway, thanks again for having this forum!

JC

Attachments

• whiteoakcigarpen.jpg
    whiteoakcigarpen.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 221
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

JC; Nice looking pen...

The Harrisburg Woodcraft on Eisenhower Blvd (near the turnpike entrance) is having a pen turning event for the troops on November 6th. Gail in the store told me they will be setting up several weeks in advance and have a lathe available.
Drop by, make some pens for service people and enjoy a good time!

affyx

The Harrisburg Woodcraft on Eisenhower Blvd (near the turnpike entrance) is having a pen turning event for the troops on November 6th. Gail in the store told me they will be setting up several weeks in advance and have a lathe available.
Drop by, make some pens for service people and enjoy a good time!

Thanks Randy! I'm glad they're doing some good with all the money I spend there! I'll try to make it; had it in my calendar last year, but couldn't make it.

atomic ray

I am also new, but, welcome from Texas!

PS
Apparently my wife is looking at houses in central PA...Mercer and Fredonia...while up at her best friend's wedding this week...I just got off the google hunt and these places are so...small. Just kinda funny that the first thing I look at after looking at "central PA" Fredonia that I see your hello thread :laugh:

Again, welcome...but truthfully I hope I do not have to join the Central PA chapter anytime too soon...maybe the siren call of Florida will divert her from moving me into a town of a couple hundred people...

:bananen_smilies046:

Raymond

affyx

Apparently my wife is looking at houses in central PA...Mercer and Fredonia...while up at her best friend's wedding this week...I just got off the google hunt and these places are so...small. Just kinda funny that the first thing I look at after looking at "central PA" Fredonia that I see your hello thread
Raymond

Raymond, thanks for the note! Moved here 12 years ago from Dallas so I feel your pain - it was about 50% more per square foot to buy housing up here - the biggest benefit of housing here is BASEMENTS - having grown up without one, I really appreciate them here. It's also a fantastic place to raise kids - in fact if it weren't for February and March (December is not that bad, and during January winter is still "nice"), it would be perfect here.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome JC! I really like the shape of your White Oak pen. I bet it's comfortable in your hand.

This link has postings by different pen turners on what they wish they had known earlier:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46654

Here is another link - a PDF on the acronyms used here. I am sure you know many but this will help with those you don't.
http://content.penturners.org/articl...9/Acronyms.pdf

If you need anymore info, there are many here ready to answer your questions. Just post in the appropriate forum. Don't forget the great resources we have available through the Library and the Wiki links on the top of the home page.

Top Bottom