Aloha

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jdubfudge

I'm new to pen turning as I just bought my first lathe this past weekend, which is a Jet 1015. I have been doing woodworking for a few years and about half my furniture is made by me. Being in Hawaii on the island of Oahu, I mostly like to build with local wood, such as koa, monkey pod and opiuma. I plan on doing the same with my pens, making them for gifts for coworkers and friends. I'm also interested in making pens with historic woods. I have some blanks from the battleship the USS Wisconsin. I also am planning on making some from bog oak.

Any ideas on finishing would be great, as I prefer waxing wood instead of synthetics because of how the wood feels. So I don't plan on using CA to finish.

Also any ideas on good vendors for historic woods would be great too.

I do plan on spending some time on the forums so I will search myself as well.

Mahalo,
Jason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

Aloha Jason,
I am happy to welcome you to IAP from Kauai. You are without a doubt at the best place to learn and develop as a pen turner. Also, there is a Member Map (link in the header) for the site, that is periodically updated. If you include you zip code in your profile, your location will appear (wwith the next update) on the world map of members. Have lots of enjoyment...happy turning!

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Welcome from Texas, Jason.

Just in case you haven't been over there yet, Re-use Hawaii is a great place for a wide variety of woods, both local and imported - and quite cheap. They sometimes have wood from historic local buildings.

Shop

Jdubfudge

Edgar - Yes I really like Re-use Hawaii and have gotten some wood from them for quite a few of the furniture projects I've made. I don't know why I didn't think of going there to find some good stuff. Probably the biggest upset I had, was when I passed on some tile from the Likelike tunnel. That would have been nice to incorporate into an end table or coffee table, but I passed it up and now its sold out.

howsitwork

welcome from Thirsk UK

Lots of historical woods round here. Currently got the job of fixing a gavel made from Oak rescued form Nelsons flagship "HMS Victory". This is the second time I've had to fix it as the worshipful master 's have been a bit over enthusiastic in use and the damn silver plaque has dropped off again!:frown:

Top Bottom