(Almost) Ready to turn my first pen.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kris WV.

I have been looking at this site for over a year now and have been very interested in getting into this hobby. Well I finaly took the plunge and ordered my first lathe (and some other goodies). I think i have everything i need to get me started to the execption of a few little things that i should be able to pick up at the local hardware store (Sand paper, glue to glue the tubes into the blanks and ca to finish with). Hopefuly I will be able to turn my first pen tonight after a make a trip to town. Im getting excited. :biggrin:.
1_My_New_Toy.jpg
Kris.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hi and welcome Kris!!

Looks like you are all set to dive into Pen Turning!:biggrin:

Congratulations on all your purchases and good luck!!
Post some pics of your first pen!
Don't give it away either, keep it and see how fast you progress towards the "Perfect Pen"!!

Andrew

RAdams

Banned
CONGRATS! But i must admit to you, Even with all the goodies in the picture, you are just getting your feet wet with cost! Trust me, you will spend THOUSANDS more on your new hobby!

mrcook4570

Welcome Kris!

You may also want to check out Mountaineer Woodturners. We meet on the second Saturday of each month at Cedar Lakes.

jeffnreno

Welcome - Good luck and have fun!!!
If you've never done any turning or even if you have you may want to check out a woodworking club. I found that when I was starting out that was a great way to learn some of the basics of using and sharpening tools.

Wild Turkey

Welcome Kris, I remember about a year ago I had the same stuff you show in your picture. I couldn't wait to get started either. Now after 100's of pens and a LOT of money it keeps on getting better and bigger. You haven't even started to dig the hole to make a well, hopefully with water at the bottom. Good Luck to you.

Last edited:

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome Chris. Get started and enjoy the fun. Take a pict of the first pen. Keep the pen and frame it. Watch your progress but remember your beginnings.

I know you have been watching this forum and probably saw the following many times, however, I will give you these three posts below in case you missed one:

The first one is a very basic overview of the many aspects of getting into turning pens.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42446

The second link has postings by different pen turners and what they wish they had known earlier:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46654

Another link - a PDF on the acronyms used here. I am sure you know many but this will help with those you don't.

http://content.penturners.org/articles/2009/Acronyms.pdf

Len Shreck

Welcome Kris from cold Pennsylvania. There is a site in the "Vendors" section that you can order the CA in the diff consistencies and nice little squeeze bottles too. I would also try epoxy to glue in your tubes and see the difference. I prefer epoxy but everyone has their own preferences. I am fairly new, only been turning pens for about a month and a half now so if you have any questions just ask the wealth of knowledge of the people on IAP is vast and take it from someone that has ask a lot of questions that I thought people would find stupid, it is better to ask a question that you think may sound stupid then not to ask and end up messing up a pen or equipment or worse yet causing injury to yourself or others that may be around you while you are turning. If you need anything that I may be able to help with just let me know Good luck and be assured that "Pens are very smart they find a way of taking the money right out of your wallet before you know it." :biggrin::wink::cool:

Karin Voorhis

Welcome to the world that is about to suck you right in! The excitment only gets more and more and yes your just about hooked now!!!

ldb2000

Kris , welcome to the slippery slope to the poor house . Save the first pen you make and look at it a year from now , you won't believe the improvement in that one short year . This place is the greatest source of knowledge on the net ... or anywhere else for that matter and the people here are the greatest .

Top Bottom