Acrylic pen polishing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

Hi Steve and thanks Curt. Yes, I did do a test...actually more tests that I want to admit (with loops, microscopes, and enough goop and gadgets to polish a submarine) and I found what works best for me and I will share a wet and a dry approach with you using an attachment. HOWEVER, there are many folks here and I'm sure across the planet that can obtain an eye-popping finish without doing what I do and/or achieving it with much less effort. I just can't do it the way the do and get the finish they do which is a function of my limitations and their expertise, gifts, talent, etc..
My learning to use a skew did reduce much sanding, but I have used carbide with the same results (just more sanding). After observing my own work and the work of others over the last 3 years, I believes, and this is only my opinion that the finish has as much to do with the turner as it does with the process. I have tried what others do, and just can't get the hang of it, hence my ways. Funny use asked this - I just finished working a long day, and I laid down, put on YouTube and searched on pen finishing. I am still searching. The dry approach is on the library, but I will attach. I hope you enjoy much fun on your journey. The 4 stage process is dry (no water), the second attachment is wet. The second attachment says to use with acrylic acetate only, but I use it on all non-wood materials (acrylic acetate, poly resin, Alumlite, M3, TrueStone, mokume gane CA, etc.). I use the dry method on everything, but M3, TruStone, and mokume gane. Remember, this s just me.

Attachments

• 4 Stage DIY Polishing and Buffing System_updated 1_15_16.pdf
    665.3 KB · Views: 203
  • Tonys Acrylic Finishing Process.doc
    29 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:

OZturner

Welcome Steve, from Sydney Australia.
BTW and FYI, This Forum is for New Members, to "Introduce" themselves, to the IAP, and give a brief background of their Experience, or other Information they would like to share with us.
Questions, are usually Asked and Answered in the "Pen Turning" Forum, which is dedicated to the exchange of Information, about a Specific Subject.
Regards,
Brian.

TonyL

Thanks Brian. I didn't even see that. Mods, please move. Sorry for the inconvenience. Thank you.

Top Bottom