$1000 pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dbledsoe

Hello all - new member here.
My name is Dave Bledsoe and I live in south central Mississippi. I just recently decided to try this fascinating hobby, and I just last night tried pen-turning for the first time. I got a Jet 10x14 vsi and some tooling and supplies, so I figure this first effort probably cost me about a grand and it won't be worth showing pictures of when I get it finished. After this one, they should be much better and certainly much cheaper.
I'll put this pen on a shelf to remind me in ten years how I started. It's a Gatsby click in scrap walnut.
I'm looking forward to reading all your posts and tips, and hoping to meet some of you in the future.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Burr

Banned
Good to have ya here! Since there are no pic's...there is no pen. Cardinal rule violation!:wink::biggrin:

G1Pens

You NEED to put this first pen in a shadow box and display it proudly. THEN YOU CAN LOOK BACK AND SAY "Ah, those were the days! Back then, I had ONLY spent $1,000 on this addiction."

AGREE....that is what I did with mine. I see it every day on my wall. It is a reminder of my progress and the start of something that I really enjoy.

BTW, Welcome from GA

aerosupra

HAHA, yeah this all got started with a $50 used lathe...never thought that would be the cheapiest expense to this hobby...ah well, there are worse things to be addicted to...

76winger

My first pen is a 3 1/2 year old slimline made from white oak. It sits in my keyboard tray of my desk and gets used regularly. Welcome to the IAP forums!

76winger

Hello all - new member here.
My name is Dave Bledsoe and I live in south central Mississippi. I just recently decided to try this fascinating hobby, and I just last night tried pen-turning for the first time. I got a Jet 10x14 vsi and some tooling and supplies, so I figure this first effort probably cost me about a grand and it won't be worth showing pictures of when I get it finished. After this one, they should be much better and certainly much cheaper.
I'll put this pen on a shelf to remind me in ten years how I started. It's a Gatsby click in scrap walnut.
I'm looking forward to reading all your posts and tips, and hoping to meet some of you in the future.

You've got an interesting opportunity here - You can post a picture of it on here and then periodically you can post later models and see how not only your pens, but your pen photography improves with time and practice. I'd say GO FOR IT! :highfive:

ctubbs

Welcome Dave, from far west Kentucky, to the addiction, sometimes referred to as the vortex. Be sure to give the library a good bit of time. The link is at the top of the page. You will find an article called Library Index. This covers tutorials on about anything pen making you can think of. You will also notice that there are articles listed by year. Much good info there as well. When these fail to answer your questions, by all means post it here. I have never seen one go unanswered very long. You might also want to give this thread a good look. It has some very good info for the beginning pen turner; http://content.penturners.org/librar...en_turning.pdf. Grab some wood, make some shavings and have fun all the while being safe.
Have a look at the series of videos ed4copies has just posted showing how to complete a pen from drill to finish.

Charles

hilltopper46

Welcome, from Wisconsin.

The price per pen drops off fairly sharply at first, but then begins a slow climb upward when you begin to realize all the things you can't do without. :tongue:

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome! Your $1000 pen beats my $500 pen for my first one. :biggrin: But they gradually escalated to $1000+.

South Central MS: Brookhaven to Hattiesburg. Somewhere in that area? There have been several members on the coast and one current active member from Hattiesburg on here. His moniker is GrantH.

I am on the other end of the state from you, just south of Memphis. Enjoy this madness!

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
I'm not HALF as good a pen maker as I aspire to be! Unfortunately, I'm TWICE the pen maker I can AFFORD to be!
Absolutely SPOT ON in describing how I feel about my work. Only problem with your statement is it is not accurate for your work.

Top Bottom