whatcha do'n.....?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

redneckmedic

In a couple weeks? Jan 18, 19, & 20th is the Indpls Woodworking show, will IAP Indy chapter have a booth? Is anyone interested in meeting up and hitting the show as a small group?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
I went to that show 2 years ago. It was very small and not very good. The only good part was the company I was with and food!! I won't be making the trek up this year.

pensbybruce

wood working show

I see that craft supplies is going to be there and usually they offer some discounts. I will agree that the show is rather small and seems to cater to bigger wood working than turning.

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
The Indy chapter will not have a table/booth. I've not gone to the WW show for several years due to the issues mentioned above, small and focused on stuff I don't do any longer. I do know that Rockler and Woodcraft will have big sales to coincide with the show hours. My latest experience was working the show for Rockler a few years ago and the deals at the store were seriously good. The admission price at the stores was really cheap, no parking fees and didn't have to take my lunch to get from the car to the building. I would encourage everyone to support your local woodworking retailer if you want them around in the future.
WB

76winger

Gosh Bill, I was just coming in here to see if anyone was going to the wood show this year and now I'm feeling I should head over to Rocker and Woodcraft instead! :eek:

I got a postcard from Woodcraft offering 10-15% off on power tools and 15-50% on "100s of items!"

Haven't seen the Rockler flyer yet but probably will soon.

Last edited:

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
Dave, some of the Rockler discounts are already in place. I was in yesterday an picked up all I will need to make the plantation shutters I've been wanting to try. I purchase $250+ worth of goods and saved over 30% overall. Check it out as well a Woodcraft. I believe Woodcraft will be at the show but Rockler won't.
WB

rkimery

Passed Away May 3, 2022
In Memoriam
I'm going to Rockler for their specials, but forgoing the Indy Woodworking Show this year. However I am taking a much needed vacation to KC MO area and going to their Woodworking Show. Three years ago I went to both back-to-back weeks. Found that KC's show is nearly twice as big! Have a buddy associated with two woodworking clubs, they call them "guilds" out there, both have booths at the show. Scored a pass to see Andy Chidwick at a small "pre-view" seminar at one of the guilds he is a member of. :biggrin:

Last edited:

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
I worked the Indy show for Rockler a few years ago, the year they introduced the Bench Cookies, and it was a ball. They offered a free set of the cookies if you bought 2 at a reduced price. We, 3 of us in the booth, had folks lined up all day both days. I don't know how many thousand we sold but it was a bunch. I had a few minutes to walk the show as it was preparing to close and it was smaller that I expected and the vendor participation was sparse. I heard several comments that the show is not what it used to be due to the Peachtree take over and not allowing any of their "competitors" to participate. It is supposed to be one of the biggest east of the Mississippi but it looks like it's loosing blood pretty fast.
WB

76winger

Thanks for the advise Bill, I'll probably just hit the stores then. I'm not really looking for anything in particular, unless of course they have some **REALLY** sweet deal on a full size lathe or bandsaw, a couple of the items closing in on the top of my want list.

lpierce65

Just got back from The Indy Woodworking Show was suprised to see Barry Gross with Arizona Silhouette set and doing demos.. Seems A little bigger this year .. I guess the hit of the day was the Gun and Knife show I could not believe all the people literately a mile long line waiting to get in when I went in at 130 pm and was still that long at 530 when I left.. Wonder why the long lines LOL

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
I went to a gun show last Saturday at the fairgrounds. Man was it packed! I was looking for some German stuff and decided there were way to many idiots for my liking, so i left.

medemt

I went to the show yesterday and there were more turning booths there than I have seen in 10 years. By far I enjoyed Barry Gross' demos and the time between demos for discussion. By the way, if you don't already know it, Barry now owns Arizona Silhouette.

He has a great method for doing a CA finish and also casting.

Had it not been for the turning booths, it would have been a dull show unless you are in to other specific areas.

Last edited:

Went to rockler and saw bill doing a demo, which is were I learned how to do the ca finish about 4 years ago and once I saw him do it I have never had a problem with it. Thanks bill I have learned alot from you.

wlongdisp

I went to the WW show and was not impressed. The selection for turning, I feel, was very limited. It was there just not the selection I was hoping for. I had never been to this show before and planned on going 2 of the 3 days but left 3 hours into day 1. I sat in on a band saw demo that was interesting but there was only 1 for turning, that I saw anyway. I did find another WW club that had a booth. Well, enough of my random chatter.

rej19

I went to the gun show early to avoid the line. I then went to the WW show and was there less than an hour. Didnt't see any of you penturners or I would have hung around longer. I did check out Arizona Silouhette booth. Unless something changes I won't be going back unless I find a free ticket.

lpierce65

I went back Sunday to get what I should have bought Friday but didn't , after missing a turn I got there at 2:30 they were pretty well packing up..

Top Bottom