What to do whit that door prize from the 1/15/11 meeting...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

76winger

Well what else?
I got pen kit and put it together! :smile-big:

It seems like most people put these on the siera kits, so being true to myself I had to be different. So I ended up putting it on a Rhodium Gastby kit I had in reserve.

I'm undecided on my favorite pose of the final product. What's everyone think?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
Lookin good

I prefer the third "pose" best but they are all good. I hope you had fun working with the laser kit, I certainly enjoy them. Nice job.
WB

GOGO

Looking Sharp

Pun intended.:biggrin:

I like the pose with the old style calipers. It truly looks grand.

John "GOGO" Gogola

burgerman

Very nice job with that inlay! Great photos as well. I bought one of those a while back. I've done several of the inlay kits. I stopped with this one when I saw the calipers were plastic/acrylic and would have to be heated to get them into place. I plan to go back to it at some point. Did you have much trouble getting the legs of the caliper in place? I was afraid I would put too much heat and that tiny piece would just melt away. Thanks.

76winger

Very nice job with that inlay! Great photos as well. I bought one of those a while back. I've done several of the inlay kits. I stopped with this one when I saw the calipers were plastic/acrylic and would have to be heated to get them into place. I plan to go back to it at some point. Did you have much trouble getting the legs of the caliper in place? I was afraid I would put too much heat and that tiny piece would just melt away. Thanks.

Thanks for your kind words burgerman,

I had the same issue, but had the benefit of my forced-air garage furnace overhead, so I just held them up in the warm air for a couple minutes, then got brave and put them in place.

One note, a small piece of the tip was missing on the long side of the calipers, I didn't notice it until I had them in the cutout and noticed a longer hole than the caliper. Luckily I had a silver blank laying around that was "close" and warmed up one end and sliced off a sliver. Then I trimmed the sliver down to fit (which wasn't easy since it was brittle). In the end, the left tip is a little darker, but you have to scrutinize pretty close to see it.

rkimery

Passed Away May 3, 2022
In Memoriam
I purchased one of these kits to make for myself. I had issue with that plastic caliper piece. A millisecond flash and one leg fell off and I had to really work to fix it.... Not a great job, but it was a "practice" pen for me anyway. :)

Looks like you faired much better! Great job! Had you done one of these before, the type that you'd have to "zap" the plastic? Is there a trick to it, or what did you use?

burgerman

Hey Dave,

Great idea about holding the plastic piece in front of your shop heater! I will try that
myself when doing this kit. Thanks for the tip!

76winger

I purchased one of these kits to make for myself. I had issue with that plastic caliper piece. A millisecond flash and one leg fell off and I had to really work to fix it.... Not a great job, but it was a "practice" pen for me anyway. :)

Looks like you faired much better! Great job! Had you done one of these before, the type that you'd have to "zap" the plastic? Is there a trick to it, or what did you use?

No, this was my first laser-cut pen body, although I've been wanting to do one of the flag pens for some time. Maybe now I'll be brave enough to try!

Besides using the shop heater like I did, another good choice would probably be a hair dryer.

Top Bottom