Welcome to the Indy chapter

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ken69912001

OK we now have a place to talk about what local area people are interested in getting together for a possible meeting. So lets hear exactly where everybody is from and how far you are from Indy. I guess the first thing we need to see about is who might be interested in holding a meeting at their shop.
Thanks to everyone for showing interest in getting this chapter started.
Ken

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

swirlman

A local chapter sounds exciting to me. I personally would like to meet many of the local turners in the Indy and surronding areas. I live in Muncie and at times feel like the lone wolf here. The IAP forums have been a terrific help to me in getting started with pen turning, but the chance to meet with other turners to discuss techniques and ideas would be wonderful. My shop is a 5 x 8 area of the garage so meeting there would be crowded to say the least. I for one would be willing to drive the distance for a meeting. I live about 45 minutes from the north side of Indy.

George Ring
Muncie, IN

johnkofi

Hey Kenny.... thanks for heading up the Indy chapter of IAP... I met you at Woodcrafters a while ago then again in Illinois at the gathering that happened there last year.
I live about a hour north of Indy in Marion IN, and I would be interested in meeting with other Pen Turners too. The shop in my basement would not be a great place to meet. Just let me know the time & place and I will do my best to be there.

I am straight down SR37 in Bloomington, my shop is my one-car garage .. I figure it would take three months to clean it and organize it so that more than three people could comfortable stand in any one place .. haha .. I would not mind driving to Indy-area for a meeting a few times per year ..
I enjoy the COZEE/MPG event in Illinois and would like to get hang out with a few like-minded folks "locally".

rej19

Hello Everyone, I live on the southeast side of Indy. I am new to turning so my shop (term used loosely) is in the corner of my garage and is very modest. Not that I would not enjoy everyone meeting here but it is small. From the sounds of it that may be more the norm than not. My shop consists of a Jet mini, a shopsmith and a work bench and some shelves in about a 8' x 10' area. All of the "stuff" that was in this area is now stacked against the other walls of the garage. I got to get rid of some junk! I can't wait to gain some knowledge from some people who know what they are doing! I have only turned a few pens and I will definitely get rid of some of them before anyone sees them. I could meet just about anywhere.
Thanks
Ron

Last edited:

Chasper

I'm in Indiana, in Santa Claius, which is a few hours away from Indianapolis. I would do my best to get there for an event once or twice a year, but I wouldn't be able to make it to a regular gathering or an evening get together.

If anyone of you, or all of you for that matter, wanted to drop off the kids and grandkids at Holiday World some time, then come over to my little shop and play with wood, tools, pens and that sort of thing...... you know how to contact me.

I live in Anderson and also have a small shop I am putting together. I am very interested and would not mind having a meeting here once it is finished. like swirlman I too feel alone here.

kugler

Great idea! Thanks Kenny for starting this. I'm in Bloomington and have about a 300SF shop. I can get about dozen real good friends in here or about 6 not so good friends.

ken69912001

Ok well it looks like we need to find a bigger shop to meet in as mine is an overstuffed one car garage. I am working to find somewhere to use. Starting Oct.10th I will be doing the covered bridge festival. So will be very busy until the 19th of Oct. Setting up my booth in the town of Bridgeton again this year.

I talked to the guy at woodcraft and he said he has to check with his boss but he does not see a problem with us meeting there. He said we just need to iron out some details on the use of their lathes, but we need to bring our own tools.

Coop

I am ready to join too, I'm in Brazil, Indiana. Ken I'll try and make it to Bridgeton too!
I have no place to hold a meeting, but as they say "You build it and they will come"
and so will I.. Mark Cooper (Coop)

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Hey guys , I have been away from the forum for awhile working on a 20 pen order , and just found this Local chapter thread . I currently have the same small shop as many others do . However , I am moving from Beech Grove to my girlfriends house near 76th & Michigan Rd . just south of the Pyramids . The house has a three car garage where I can set up a pretty decent shop , and there will be room for you guys too . I'm not sure about the dates as we are going to Arizona Oct. 21 - 28th . I will keep you posted . I will try to keep a check on this thread but if anyone could shoot me a PM about any meetings , I'd appreciate it .

medemt

I'm from Avon, Indiana which is a suburb to the west of Indy. I have been looking forward to something like this. I am a beginner and would love to meet with others that are more experienced, so that I may learn. I would offer up my shop but it is being built now, and with the wife down, it is moving slowly.

I'm game for about anything. I have access to two large facilities where we could meet. My church has a large hall and a working room, not to mention classrooms. Also, I have a large space at the fire department that we could meet. Both facilities are heated and air conditioned and have facilities.

I was hoping to have a small craft (woodworking) show / demo for the public someday. I have even offered to use the space at the church for the annual pen gathering.

Anyway, I am very interested in helping get an Indianapolis chapter off the ground.

Dan

IPD_Mrs

Dale this is getting scary. Once you move you will be just three miles from our hardware shop just off of 106th and michigan. We might be able to work something out in our shop (2-1?2 car garage) We are just off of I65 and 334 (zionsville) It is exit 130. I think we might be a mile from the exit so it would be easy to get to from a major road.

It can't be a football Sunday or Linda would kill us. NFL rules at our house.

Mike

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Mike I have to admit I was a little concerned about moving closer to your neck of the woods . I'll just have to stop into the store and introduce myself , and try to get Susanne to come along for protection . May even buy something ! We're Colts fans and Earnhardt fans so our Sundays are now spent flipping channels from the game to the race .

It would be great to get something organized . I'm going to be one very busy individual for the next month . But can find time for at least a GTG .

Hi Linda !!

IPD_Mrs

Earnhardt huh? Well at least you are on the ball with Hendrick Motor Sports! :biggrin:

That is the other thing we watch together, but we won't go there. Too many redneck jokes abound.

I talked to my friend at woodcraft and he said no problem. we can have meetings there but we can not use their tools. So I think that might be a small problem since I cannot move my lathe by myself. So I am open for whatever. Just keep me in the loop.

bluzcat

Hello fellow Hoosier turners. As you can see, I'm new to the forum, but I am excited about the prospect of meeting some people with similar interests. I'm fairly new to round work, but I've learned a lot in the last year. Just looking around here for the last couple of days, I realize there is a lot more to learn.

Looks like there hasn't been much discussion lately in regards to a GTG. Like most, I have a day job, but evenings and weekends are pretty much open. I also have a good sized, dedicated shop, if a location is proving to be a problem. My only drawback is that I'm kind of out in the boonies. It's really not that bad, but compared to where I came from :)glasses-cool:California), I might as well be on the moon! I'm located in Northwest Monroe county, just off highway 46, between Bloomington and Spencer.

I think any type of get together would be a great start, even just a lunch on a Saturday at a nice convienent location for everyone. Maybe show off some finished work, meet face-to-face. Who knows, the next get together may be a full fledged Turn-a-Polooza! Just a thought.:biggrin:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome Mark ! I like the boonies . Since I spent my summers on my uncles farm in Illinois when I was much younger . This is a great time of year to visit your neighborhood anyway . I should be moving this weekend , but , I have 'til the 3rd of Nov . to be out of here . I leave for Arizona next Tuesday , and will return on the 28th . If you're free this Saturday noonish , send me a PM , with directions and contact number . Maybe some of the other Hoosiers will chime in here too . I've gotta get out of here right now , but will check back on this post later . SEE YA !!

bluzcat

Saturday Oct. 10th

dalecamino has expressed interest getting together at my place is Gosport this Saturday (noonish). Any other IAPer's in the area are welcome. I realize that this is rather short notice, but I'm betting this won't be the last get together, so if you can't make it this time, maybe the next time. With my schedule, sometimes short-range planning works out better than long-range planning! If anyone is interested, PM or email me for contact info or directions

medemt

Jeff,

Did you see the thread: http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=38514

We are planning a meeting on the 22nd of November if it works out for everyone. Looks like quite a few are interested. Thus far it looks like Avon, In on the 22nd starting 11:00 am or later depending on whoever makes that call.

Avon is on the west side of Indy. Sure would love to have you there. If you could do some kind of demo (like your casting demo you did at the gathering), That would be great.

I'm doing the organizing, I'm simply getting the facility.

Top Bottom