Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

redneckmedic

Meeting Details Below

Date-Saturday May 3rd 10am

Location- Avon Parkside Church of the Nazarene
47 North C.R. 625 East, Avon, IN

Agenda-
BITH Swap (Blank in the Hat)
PITH Swap (Pen in the Hat )(completed pen)
Free Raffle -Rockler Gift Card, pen kits, blanks, ext....

Tentative Demos- Turning Trustone, tool sharpening for beginners (on Oneway wolverine/Rikon Slow speed grinder)

Vendors- TBD

New Indy Members

One of our members arranges the facility for our use. It is a great facility for our purpose, You will fit right in. We have 50-75 people typically show up for the meetings. We have lots of new turners and we have some really great turners and all are willing to share. More info about the meeting will be posted in the the next few weeks. Keep checking back in the Indianapolis Chapter Forum. Make sure you introduce yourself when you come!

MORE DETAILS TO COME!!!

Matthew Heithoff
Greater Indy Chapter President

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lpierce65

Spring Meeting

Set your clocks, iphones or whatever to remind yourself to be at the spring meeting !!

Details in a previous post here !!

ottotroll

Hi....
I am on the West Side of Cincinnati (Near Harrison) - is this an "open" event? I have only been turning pens for 3 months, and this sounds interestin.
Thanks,
Richard

lyonsacc

About how long do these meetings last?

Hi....
I am on the West Side of Cincinnati (Near Harrison) - is this an "open" event? I have only been turning pens for 3 months, and this sounds interestin.
Thanks,
Richard

Richard - I have not been to one of these meetings, but just might be able to make this one (I'll probably know if I can tomorrow sometime). Would you be interested in carpooling? I am located near Tri-County Mall.

Dave

redneckmedic

I deeply apologize to all who have arranged there schedules in preparation for this weekend's spring meeting, however after and unfortunate series of events and a poor attempt at planning this event on my part, we must cancel the meeting this Saturday.

I know that this last year hasn't been a very good foot forward for this new officer board. The learning curve has been ugly, painful, and caused some pretty bitter experiences for some. My assurance is that there has been a lengthy discussion about this and the appropriate steps have been identified and we are working towards fixing the past issues. Since actions speak louder than words I will go as far to give you two dates for the fall and next spring meeting to place on your calendar. The dates are pending site host approval and major event date conflicts.

Oct 11 2014
March 14 2015

Locking these dates in corrects a few problems from the past.
Poor membership notification
Poor timely vendor/demo notification
Poor date selection
Plenty of time to plan an acceptable agenda for the meeting.
Meeting Pen/Blank swap prep time for the membership

Please accept my deepest and most sincere apologies for hindering your plans this weekend.

Matthew Heithoff

ottotroll

About how long do these meetings last?

Hi....
Thanks,
Richard

Richard - I have not been to one of these meetings, but just might be able to make this one (I'll probably know if I can tomorrow sometime). Would you be interested in carpooling? I am located near Tri-County Mall.

Dave

Well, Dave,
I think we jinxed this event, lol... but, carpooling was a good idea!
Richard
:)

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Hope you guys have a good turnout. I'll be here watching the Derby. Gonna miss seeing a few familiar faces.
Looks like I'll be watching it too Ernie!:biggrin: What the heck happened while I was in Florida? :rolleyes: I set this chapter up with Lou Metcalf (dcbluesman) 5 or 6 years ago. I guess a lot can happen in very short time. I was and, still am , looking forward to seeing my Indy friends again. YOU TOO Ernie!:biggrin:

twinsen

Seriously... we need to get emails on this. The only reason I checked back at the site was to send the link to a friend.

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
Fellow Hoosiers,
I know we are all a little disappointed that the meeting has been postponed but having worked with the chapter as an officer for a few years and watching the progress it has experienced, I ask for your indulgence as I express my opinion.
The current officers agreed to take the helm from the previous leader team and I'm not sure they understood the time and commitment it would require. The chapter was asked at several meetings if anyone wanted to become the new officers because the team in place at the time was running out of steam. The response was underwhelming to say the least. A hand full of people who enjoyed the offerings the chapter was providing and didn't want to see it just die an agonizing slow death of apathy agreed to take over and manage the operations.
Running a chapter with over 130 members on the contact list, and keeping that list current with email and phone number changes and additions every month is a time commitment rough enough on retired guys and more so on those working folks with young family time constraints.
I'm gonna ask that we, the membership of the Indy chapter, cut the leaders some flack and more importantly, give them the support you would like to have if you were running the show.
Chapter meetings require:
Attendance records be kept,
Dues to cover the coffee and donuts is collected counted and secured,
Coffee has to be made.
Vendors are contacted asking for door prize donations,
Demos are arranged for that will meet the requested subjects of the members,
A place for the meeting to accommodate from 30 to 80 people has to be secured and set
up.
The tables for drawing and vendors and give aways and demos and show and tell must be set up,
A sound system and video equipment has to be made available and checked for readiness,
Emails have to be sent repeatedly over a three week period to all 130 plus members,
The meeting notice has to be posted on the IAP site and several smaller things need to be done.
Then there is the tear down, clean up and assuring that the place is as clean as we found it.

Now, who wants to help these guys pull this off? The chapter requires everyone to be a part of the process and only then can we all have the fun it is about. Participate.
A great old Christian Bible college leader, D. L.Moody, once said when someone questioned the job he was doing, "I would rather be doing it the way I am than not doing it the way you are".
Please read this again with an open mind and consider what you can do to be part of the chapter's operation and at the same time enjoy all of the fellowship, information sharing, seeing what others are doing, get some really good deals from the vendors who participate and maybe win some goodies in a drawing. This "rant" is meant to be encouraging, please take it that way. Thanks
Wood Butcher
Bill Bettag

Last edited:

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
The chapter is in a comma, the "officers" are MIA and nobody seems interested in resuscitating it. Sad but true, looks like anyone interested will have to start all over.
WB

Top Bottom