Spring Chapter Meeting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

redneckmedic

Greetings to the Membership,

I hope this winter hasn't discouraged y'all from getting in front of you lathe and turning something. I know bring a shop up to temperature can be difficult and costly and it's very easy to ignore the call of a craftsman during these long grey months. However your motivation is just around the corner and in no time you will be dreaming of turning and creating again!

If there is a skill you have been working on, and would like to do a demonstration or just have a table set up with some of the steps displayed, by all means hit me up and we will make that work. We are ALWAYS looking to add to these meetings. And this skill station doesn't have to be only about pen turning. There are many tools that make this hobby work, and if you have a table saw, band saw, planer, or drill press tip, trick, or jig.... bring it on!

Meeting Details Below

Spring Meeting - Saturday March 14, 2015

10am-2pm-ish

Location- Avon Parkside Church of the Nazarene
47 North C.R. 625 East, Avon, IN

Agenda-
St. Patty's Day Theme Pen
We will have a contest by vote on the day of the meeting by the attending membership. Winner will receive a undisclosed prize. Along with the contest we will also have a show and tell for your Themed pen. In the past members have shown interest in not only telling about their PITH process, but also wanting to know more about other's process, this will be a great way to start that, being a custom contest pen and all.

BITH Swap (Blank in the Hat)
No PITH Swap (Pen in the Hat )(completed pen) -Replaced by the Themed Pen Contest

Free Raffle -Gift Cards, pen kits, blanks, ext.... In the fall we gave out around $250 worth of gift cards, and a couple hundred dollars in kits and blanks. Everyone who attended walked away with something, if not multiple somethings.

Tentative Demos-

Bill Bettag - Segmenting
Unknown - Finishing Types/advantages and disadvantages
***Up until about a week before the meeting we will not have all the demos completely locked in, this is because we are constantly talking to about a dozen different people with several ideas and multiple schedules. It takes a lot more coordination that I would have realize to get the best results per meeting aligning all these variables.

We will discuss the date for the Fall meeting and any summer meet and greets.

Vendors- TBD (Still confirming)

Future Meetings Help Needed

Officer Board - We are always looking for a couple of folks to join the chapter officers. It takes a lot of work to organize these meeting and a couple of extra hands to make calls, give input, and help with logistics is not just welcome it's imperative if this chapter is going to move forward.

Demo - If you have skill set that you would like to share, new or old, beginner or advanced email me and we will see how we can make it fit. I am looking for 3-4 demo stations per meeting.

Vendor Contacts

I need anyone that can contact a vendor that is willing to travel to set up shop and sell to the membership. Anything turning or shop related is worth inviting.

Speaking topics

I would like to hear what the membership wants to learn about. There is a wealth of knowledge to be shared, let us know what you want. Feel free to add to this thread or PM or email me. redneckmedic1@gmail.com

We have some things starting to get lined up for future meetings, but would like your input and help too.

New Indy Members

One of our members arranges the facility for our use. It is a great facility for our purpose, You will fit right in. We have 50-75 people typically show up for the meetings. We have lots of new turners and we have some really great turners and all are willing to share. More info about the meeting will be posted in the the next few weeks. Keep checking back in the Indianapolis Chapter Forum. Make sure you introduce yourself when you come!

Matthew Heithoff
IAP - Indiana Chapter Coordinator
redneckmedic1@gmail.com

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

redneckmedic

Quick Update on the meeting....

Greg Jones will be be offering his Sorby ProEdge Sharpening System to the
members that attend the Meeting on March 14th. If you missed last Fall's
meeting his was one of the few different options for tool sharpening
systems. It's a very nice (and expensive system). He can walk anyone
through the in and outs if you just want to see how it works for example if
you are in the market for a sharpening system.

OR....

If you have a tool that needs sharpening he will offer that service too
Sharpening $1 per tool
Re-Profiling $3 per tool

House Keeping...

A few major bullet points here:

1) We need everyone to be very cautious with any person property you bring
into the church... Tools, Pens, Blanks, ect. This building is a place of
service ministry as much as it is a house of worship. That being said,
there are other folks using the building that are being ministered too that
are not affiliated with the church, and we have had an issue with suspected
theft of personal property on site. It's an unfortunate situation to have
to be aware of, but it's also part of the world we live in. So please keep
an eye on your belongings, your buddy's stuff, and the vendor tables.

2) We need to confirm some volunteers to arrive about 30 min early to help
set up. This is a huge undertaking for just the officers since we have
logistics, hospitality, and the welcome table.

​Matthew Heithoff
IAP - Indiana Chapter Coordinator
redneckmedic1@gmail.com​​

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
I had planned on racing but the rain's have decided we are not racing. I'll be leaving the Great State of Ky :biggrin: around 7am. And as usual, it will be raining in Indiana, which seems to be the norm when I come to meetings. Hope to see the usual suspects up there, and i'll be bringing a bunch of blanks. See you guys in the morning

Top Bottom