questions from a new turner

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

indychips

My wife and I turned some pens at the wood working show back in January and were hooked. We are just now getting around to purchasing some tools to start turning at home. I found a used Delta lathe for $225. Model #46-250. Can someone tell me if this is a good price and if this would be a good beginners lathe? Also, who has the cheapest prices on pen kits? We would like to attend some meetings where I am sure we will have alot more questions. Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Pioneerpens

Welcome from WV! we have several members here who sell pen kits...blanks... and other gotta/wanna have items :)
http://www.woodnwhimsies.com
http://www.arizonasilhouette.com/
smitty37 has slimlines at a good price and all most platings available
www.exoticblanks.com
these are just a few places and i'm sure you will hear from others as well on the kits and have some informed input on the lathe model and meetings..
don't forget to post pics of your turnings!

ken69912001

If you turned a pen at the show I may have helped you. Welcome to the IAP and the Indianapolis chapter. We are planning a meeting coming up on July 10th outside of Monrovia. Keep am eye on the forum here for upcoming details. Also could you send me you email address in a personnel message so I can send you more details as to where it is.
I myself have had a Delta Midi lathe for 4 years now. Never had a problem with it. Just make sure you have a 60 degree live center for it. Pen mandrels use that.
Ken

Pens By Scott

Welcome to the IAP.

I'm relatively new to the pen turning world and turning in general. I have a similar version, Delta LA200 it is similar to the lathe you're asking about (think mine is a newer version of the same), and it works great for me. From some research on the web, the average price for the Delta Model #46-25, they're going from $225US to $300US Used (http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/tls/1778931562.html) I can find the Delta LA200 new for about $300US (not delivery, and they are fairly heavy)

I have had no troubles with mine, and it has turned quite a few pens over the past year.

There are upgrade kits for adding a variable speed motor, which I have been saving for, however, I'm finding, I only ever use two speeds, on and off. (read this here in a thread a month or so ago, and found, the were right)

Hope this helps.

rej19

Welcome Mark, Like Kenny said make sure you try and attend our next meeting in July if possible. There are several turners in the area and it's a great way to learn different things. It sure has helped me. That lathe should work fine for you. Check out woodturningz.com . He is local and has been a big support for our local group. He can supply Penn State items with a discount. But if you check the buy,sell and swap section in the forums section you can find some great deals from some of the members here. That is how I have aquired most of my kits.

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
Another Hoosier welcome Mark. As has been said you will enjoy meeting the folks from the local chapter and all are more than willing to assist you with the addiction we all "suffer" from. Also, Rockler in the Castleton Square area has a pen turning demo about once or twice a month where you will get some tips and assistance. If you like, PM me at billbettag@aol.com and I will add you to the chapter email list for meeting notices and info. You're really gonna enjoy this place.

bitshird

Welcome to the insanity of pen turning, it was intended to be a relaxing hobby but has since gone completely NUTZ. But it's still fun and as mentioned there are several members that sell quality and inexpensive pen kits, blanks and tooling.

Top Bottom