Next Meeting Ideas

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lpierce65

Time to stasrt think about the next meeting any ideas you would like to see.

Don't forget the Woodworking Show In Indy this weekend !!

Larry Pierce

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

76winger

Time to stasrt think about the next meeting any ideas you would like to see.

Don't forget the Woodworking Show In Indy this weekend !!

Larry Pierce

I wanna see lots of members show up and hear lots of good discussions. It's always great to get together with fellow wood and pen turners!

lpierce65

We have a lot of new members and I tbhink they want to see the Beginner stuff .. I sure hope we can get some vendors back I like buying from them u can see what you are getting ??

Pen Swap ? yes Or No

76winger

A PITH is always fun whether finished or unfinished. The only thing I might suggest to change from the past is to separate finished & unfinished into separate swaps. It just didn't seem fair to bring in a nice finished pen and then tak home a kit and a blank. So I think a finished swap and an unfinished swap would be better balanced.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
There doesn't seem to be much interest here. Might be the weather. Might not. But, I'm back in Indy now and, as always I'm willing to share what I can. New members, OLD ones? Doesn't matter. If I can help, I will. Let me know. Who is the Chapter honcho now? Maybe we need some direct contact.

lpierce65

Honcho

Matthew Heithoff AKA redneckmedic

There doesn't seem to be much interest here. Might be the weather. Might not. But, I'm back in Indy now and, as always I'm willing to share what I can. New members, OLD ones? Doesn't matter. If I can help, I will. Let me know. Who is the Chapter honcho now? Maybe we need some direct contact.

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
I just sent an email to Matt about the chapter. What is being experienced is the normal response to a "public announcement". We all drive past bill boards every day and never see them nor can tell you what they have printed on them. Everything I read says that a personal invitation.....personal being operative, is the surest way to get the response needed for a successful meeting that is basically a volunteer event as opposed to a meeting where you work. It can be done with emails but ONLY if they are sent way ahead of the meeting (for personal scheduling reasons) and they are sent repeatedly. Just think about what would get your attention. Then think about what would make you consider attending said meeting. Then think about how soon you would forget about it. Thinking outside the box and then letting everyone know that it's gonna be a lot of fun can work but, it takes a lot of work on the leader's part.
I have spent more years in the sales field than I can remember, that's my credentials. Getting others to become as enthused about what enthuses you is one of the hardest things you will attempt, just ask your church's pastor. If you can pull it off it can make you rich, famous and feel fulfilled. When it doesn't work it can make you wonder what you were thinking, rock your foundation and eat your confidence. Just work on putting together a meeting you would give up your free time to attend and then market it.
That's my 2 cents worth and you can have it at 50% off.
WB

76winger

I just sent an email to Matt about the chapter. What is being experienced is the normal response to a "public announcement". We all drive past bill boards every day and never see them nor can tell you what they have printed on them. Everything I read says that a personal invitation.....personal being operative, is the surest way to get the response needed for a successful meeting that is basically a volunteer event as opposed to a meeting where you work. It can be done with emails but ONLY if they are sent way ahead of the meeting (for personal scheduling reasons) and they are sent repeatedly. Just think about what would get your attention. Then think about what would make you consider attending said meeting. Then think about how soon you would forget about it. Thinking outside the box and then letting everyone know that it's gonna be a lot of fun can work but, it takes a lot of work on the leader's part.
I have spent more years in the sales field than I can remember, that's my credentials. Getting others to become as enthused about what enthuses you is one of the hardest things you will attempt, just ask your church's pastor. If you can pull it off it can make you rich, famous and feel fulfilled. When it doesn't work it can make you wonder what you were thinking, rock your foundation and eat your confidence. Just work on putting together a meeting you would give up your free time to attend and then market it.
That's my 2 cents worth and you can have it at 50% off.
WB

Bill makes a lot of good points. I've kept my position as photographer because it provides me a way to give back to the chapter through a means that utilizes some of my talents. Also because I'm less proficient at coming up with good ideas, organizing people and events, and telling the story to market it well.

If you haven't picked a date or location yet, those should be the first two things to hammer out, giving everyone notice a couple months in advance to plan for attending, both members as well as vendors. Basic turning to literally be covered at every meeting if they were no more than a couple times a year, because you're always going to have some new people that can take advantage of it. The add a couple intermediate or advanced topics and you're off and running. I'm looking forward to another meeting and once a date is set I'll be sure to work anything else I'm doing around it.

rej19

Everyone makes good points.We found most will help when asked but very few volunteer. An adgenda needs to be made and then reach out to members to fill the needed positions. That most likely will mean the same people doing demo's. If someone volunteers that is icing on the cake.

redneckmedic

Look forward to the announcement in the next few days for details about the next meeting. The leadership is in discussion and reaching out to vendors, demo(s) folks, and volunteers right now. If you would like to step up and be part of planning or one of the above mentioned please email me. Our resources as of late have been a bit dry.

Matthew Heithoff
redneckmedic1@gmail.com

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Have no fear.... Chuck is here :rolleyes::biggrin:

If you leaders decide on a date and, location, I'd like to attend and, visit my friends and, meet some new ones. I can do an etching demo, bring in some metal works etc. At some point we can get into anodizing if, there is interest.

Matthew please make sure I'm on the email list. I used to get them from Bill.

It's good to be back in Indy and, have been waiting for warmth again :rolleyes:

twinsen

Meeting Date

I also want to attend the meeting for Indy. Please put me on the "the list" if there is one. It is really confusing looking for the "next meeting date" in the forums.

Indytom

I am not very active on the forums, but I do read them, and I would also be willing to help any way I could with a spring meeting.

Tom

lpierce65

Apparently Mat and I do not have Permission to start a new Thread so I'll post it here and send everyone on the email list a Copy..

Meeting Date Finalized

Date: Saturday May 3rd 10am

47 North C.R. 625 East, Avon, IN

Agenda:
BITH Swap (Blank in the Hat)
PITH Swap (Pen in the Hat )(completed pen)
Free Raffle -Rockler/Woodcraft Gift Cards, pen kits, blanks, ext....

Tentative Demos- Turning Trustone, tool sharpening for beginners (on Oneway wolverine/Rikon Slow speed grinder)

Vendors: TBD

New Indy Members:

One of our members arranges the facility for our use. It is a great facility for our purpose, You will fit right in. We have 50-75 people typically show up for the meetings. We have lots of new turners and we have some really great turners and all are willing to share. More info about the meeting will be posted in the the next few weeks. Keep checking back in the Indianapolis Chapter Forum. Make sure you introduce yourself when you come!

MORE DETAILS TO COME!!!

Matthew Heithoff
Greater Indy Chapter President

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Larry/Matt, anybody should be able to start a new thread.

Ron
To start a new thread in the Local Chapter forums, you need to be an administrator. Usually the chapter President can gain admin. permission from Jeff. Ron, you are currently shown as the chapter admin. So....redneckmedic should send a PM to Jeff requesting that, he be shown, as Indy chapter admin.

Ooops! I COULD be wrong too! All is well!!

Last edited:

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Glad to hear about the meeting. I'm 90% that I will not be able to attend, as that's the date for The Ky Derby.

Top Bottom