Last meeting and next 2 dates.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ken69912001

[FONT=Comic Sans MS, sans-serif]Hey folks, if you weren't able to make the January 16th IAP meeting at Rockler Woodworking here's what took place. First of all we had a great turn out with about 20 people making the trip. The people at the Rockler store were more than gracious in allowing us to meet there and even provided 5 gift cards worth $5 each which Ken gave out through a "guess what number I'm thinking of" contest. We didn't really have a planned agenda but shared thoughts on future meeting times, places and subject matter. Everybody got to do a little show and tell with their latest creations and shared ideas and techniques they have developed. The space was a little tight even though we were allowed to block two isles in the store; that was most generous of Paul Haag the Rockler store manager.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS, sans-serif]We've been working on getting the chapter off the launching pad and the New Year is as good a time to do that as any. The next two meetings are planned and scheduled so put this on your calendar or you'll miss out. The next meeting will be March 13th at WoodTurningz in Westfield, Indiana. It seems a natural to meet in a place where the business is to serve the pen makers craft all over the country. If you haven't ordered from WoodTurningz you have a big treat in store. Ryan Polokoff is the owner and these folks make (as far as I know) all of the Inlace Acrylic that we have available through the various suppliers including Rockler. They also sell and ship an incredible quantity of pen kits, blanks and a very long list of support tools and materials for pen making. There will a bit more space in which to meet and, if you want or need to sit for the two hour meeting, bring a folding chair so we don't have to try to rent or borrow them from somewhere. Check out the WoodTurningz web site
[FONT=Comic Sans MS, sans-serif] and call for directions or Google/MapQuest/ GPS this address: 17408 Tiller Ct #300 Westfield, IN 46074.. The meetings will start at 10:00AM and end at noon. The day that works for the most people is Saturday. There will a WoodTurningz employee on hand to fill orders and take your money if you want to pick up some goodies. Ken Mayes will present a demonstration using the Wood Wizard from Beall Mfg. Check it out on the net, it's something we will all be interested in.[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS, sans-serif]The second scheduled meeting will also be at WoodTurningz and will happen on May 22nd at the same time of day. The plan, at this time, is to hold meetings every other month. While the locations may vary the times are pretty much set. If you have ideas for presentations, demos or guest speakers let Ken Mayes [/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS, sans-serif](Ken69912001) or Bill Bettag [/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS, sans-serif] (wood butcher ) know and we'll check it out. If you know of someone who should be added to our email list send their info to Bill Bettag and they will be added. Bring a friend and join us in March..….keep the tools sharp.[/FONT]

[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Coop

I'll be there in March

I will be bringing a new guy. His name is Bill Archer from Staunton Indiana. He is just getting started, as I sold him two of my older lathes. He has not turned a pen yet but sure has made some nice bowls and is getting ready to make some pens. I going over to talk to Larry today and see if he can get away on that date and wants to ride along. It will be nice to see old friends again and meet some new ones! Coop

Pepsi

If nothing goes wrong I'll see you guys at Woodturningz. It's been awhile since I've seen these guys. They'll probably run me off. Just kidding Ryan and Fritz and the rest
of the crew are great people to do business with.

Al

jbostian

I plan on being there. It should be a good one, especially if we have a turnout like the last. I was at Woodcraft today and I over heard some people talking about the upcoming meeting. So the word is definitely getting out.

Jamie

WoodTurningz

Worth the drive!

How far north of Indy is Woodturningz?

Ernie - It's worth the drive! We're 15 minutes from the north side of I-465. Or about 40-45 minutes if you come up 65 from when you hit 465.

However guys - I know you don't have any sort of refreshments - So we'll take care of that... We're also going to add some door prizes - We're going to open a couple crates of previously sealed burls and discount them for you - We're going to let you shop the woods - and most of you have never seen our warehouse due to insurance reasons - It's a good way of checkout out what we've got. Oh - We'll also throw in more door prizes and I've got a few more that came in this week from the previously mentioned vendor to add to the "pool". Finally - we're working on getting setup as a dealer for Beall - so if you decide you like the pen wizard (or buffing system) or anything else they carry - We'll be taking pre-orders at that time.

The only thing we ask - is if someone would agree to take e-mails (vs. a "me too") list int he forum so that I have a rough count of how many will be there for refreshments - and if you plan on placing an order for kits & supplies and are familiar with how we work, please call in your order 1-3 days prior so that part is picked & ready for you (Of course you can add to it once you are here!)

Thanks everyone! We look forward to having you visit us and if there's anything we can do to help make it a better event, please let us know.

..Ryan

ken69912001

Ryan, Thanks for helping us out and letting us have a couple of meetings there.
I would like to add that if anyone who doesn't want to stand should bring a chair for themselves to sit on. We also have a few giveaways provided by Ken Nelson. I am sure the lucky winners will certainly enjoy these gifts. I see that Ryan is going to provide some refreshments for us. We would like to take up a collection to use for future meetings.
I will be demonstrating the Beall Pen Wizard during the meeting.I do know that a couple of us from the group have one. This should be interesting for those of you who have never seen the Wizard.
As Ryan asked please contact me to confirm you will be there. Bill Bettag has a list of other people who will attend.
Looks like its going to be a great meeting.

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Well I'm planing on coming, and might bring another person with me. Also are you guys on eastern time?

tbfoto

Just a thought...............

I belong to many clubs/groups. While it is always fun to win a door prize, my experience is that "everyone" should be able to leave with something. I was wondering if there was any interest in having everyone bring say...two pen blanks to the meeting to "put in a box" then draw numbers for each person and each person then pulls out two blanks from the box. This would be a way for everyone to maybe have something different than what they came with. Just my thoughts. I have a roll of tickets that I would be willing to "donate" for such a "drawing".

tbfoto

rej19

tbfoto, I agree with you. Anything to make the meetings more exciting is fine with me. No one should feel pressured to participate if they don't want to. I'll plan on bringing a few.

lpierce65

hey how about us guys coming from the west like Brazil...Directions ?? Address...never worried about address when I order online..

Larry

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
You da man Ryan ! I will be there . I need some things and , will call in , but will add more at the meeting .

I can take a list as Ryan asked . Everybody going to the meeting can email me at dalecamino@gmail.com I will send the list to Ryan at Woodturningz

Last edited:

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Well Chuck, If your buying I'll take a lot of stuff:):wink::)!!! Me and Smoky10 are going to make the trip, it appears to be about 2 1/2 hour drive. Should be fun.

Top Bottom