Indianapolis Chapter Meeting Notice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
Attention pen makers, we're finally going to have another chapter meeting. The meeting will be held on January 15th at the Avon Parkside Church of the Nazarene located at 47 North C.R. 625 East in Avon, IN.
The intersection for this is US Highway 36 and C.R. 625 E. It is in the Northeast corner of the intersection. If you Google or MapQuest it you should find it easily. The time for the meeting is 10:00AM till noon but if we want we can stay longer. Dan Mechuta and Ernie Borraga will be bringing some drinks and light snacks and our acting president, Ron Jones, will be in charge of the meeting. We are having several demos that you asked for in past meetings such as: sharpening turning tools, polyester resin casting of blanks, CA glue finishing and how you can use decals you print yourself to enhance your pens. There will be a table or two where you can display your work, sell or trade what you have and for any of you suppliers to show your wares. We will also be having an election of officers. You can nominate someone else, nominate yourself or vote for the people on the ballot. We will use a few minutes to get input from the membership regarding the material you want covered in future meetings and the meeting frequency and location; there will also be door prizes so you may come away with some goodies. It's a full meeting and we really need your voice to be heard because it is your chapter and it should provide what you want regarding the making of pens and related items.
IF you are unsure where you are while traveling to the meeting, call Dan Mechuta at 317-439-0224
or Bill Bettag at 317-696-4066 and we'll get you where you need to be.
If you no longer want to receive these email notices reply with "REMOVE MY NAME" and we will do so.
See you on the 15th.

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
I'll be there (as long as we don't get 20" of snow). I may also have a co-pilot riding with me. Can't tell you who, Cause I'm not sure if he can get off of work. But it will be truly a surprise if he comes with me:wink:.

IPD_Mrs

Me and the boss will be there. Will have Jr. in tow as well. Linda failed to ask last night if you need us to bring anything else besides what was discussed.

I swear if I had a rope long enough to lasso Chuck from here, I would drag him back through the snow we are having right now. :biggrin:

EBorraga

In Memoriam
Hey Mike, I hope you bring some goodies to sell. Especially The schmidt rolleball nib. I'm gonna need a handful to start experimenting on some new pens. As for snow, they forcasted 3 inches today, still hasn't snowed one flake. Gotta love our weathermen here.

IPD_Mrs

Ernie, we will bring supplies if you bring the deviled eggs! There may be some real goodies at the meeting. People we need to show up to find out! :eek::biggrin::eek:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Me and the boss will be there. Will have Jr. in tow as well. Linda failed to ask last night if you need us to bring anything else besides what was discussed.

I swear if I had a rope long enough to lasso Chuck from here, I would drag him back through the snow we are having right now. :biggrin:
:eek::eek: Lasso? Snow? Do you know where Sanibel Island is? :biggrin: You will find me there:tongue::drink::island: Wishing I could be with all my friends there. Have a good time pals.

rej19

Looking forward to this weekend. I know the number that post that their coming usually has no direct indication on how many actually show but it's always interesting to see who is planning to. I know in the past we only had a few post their coming then 50 people show up and that is great! If your plans are to come at this point let's here from ya. Should be a very interesting meeting with demo's, snacks, elections, swapping, selling and meeting new turners, and drooling over some of the pens we will see. :bananen_smilies051: Don't miss it!

jlame1984

I will be there. I'm excited to meet everyone. I have just started making pens and have a lot to learn. I have only what I have gleaned from this website and a brief demonstration at Rockler by the Wood Butcher (extremely helpful).

medemt

This meetiong will be very important for all members (and prospective members) of our chapter. If at all possible, please try to make it. We will be making some plans that will affect the chapter for some time. Bring a freind that might be thinking about turning. I met a guy last week that frequents this site and was not aware we were having a meeting. he said he will be there.

Think ahead about the kind of demos and events you would like to see at our meetings. Also consider putting your name in the hat for a position in the committee (?) of the chapter. There are many talented individuals out there with not only technical , but administrative type skills.

Look forward to kicking of the year with a good meeting and getting to know everyone better.

Dan

IPD_Mrs

OK folks Linda and I have confirmed that we will be at this meeting. This is actually the first one where we didn't have our grandson for the weekend. :frown:
There are two parts to this message. Number one would be how many will be there? You have got to be there to find out why I ask. :biggrin:

We have had several people to ask us to bring merchandise. We have no problem with this and are happy to do so. We would ask that if you know what you want, please let us know in advance so we can have your order ready and have the correct merchandise with us. Remember there is a lot of chapter business to be conducted this meeting, and we will hold all transactions until after chapter business is complete. In this way we do not interfere with the chapter and will have more time to visit after the meeting.

Just found out that taps were shop today and we will have them for the meeting.

Last edited:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
OK folks Linda and I have confirmed that we will be at this meeting. This is actually the first one where we didn't have our grandson for the weekend. :frown:
There are two parts to this message. Number one would be how many will be there? You have got to be there to find out why I ask. :biggrin:

We have had several people to ask us to bring merchandise. We have no problem with this and are happy to do so. We would ask that if you know what you want, please let us know in advance so we can have your order ready and have the correct merchandise with us. Remember there is a lot of chapter business to be conducted this meeting, and we will hold all transactions until after chapter business is complete. In this way we do not interfere with the chapter and will have more time to visit after the meeting.

Just found out that taps were shop today and we will have them for the meeting.
Just found out that taps were shop today and we will have them for the meeting. Hey !! Save some taps for MEEE!!!:biggrin: LOL

I'm wondering if someone could tape the meeting for me? I can pay expenses. Sure hate not being there. Especially since Mike & Linda are going. Darn it, I have to be down here in this beautiful weather:island::biggrin:

Chasper

I'm planning on making the trip for this meeting, it will be my first time to attend. Usually when I attend these types of gatherings I bring kits and blanks to sell, I'm not going to be doing that this time because it is the first time for me to attend this group. I will bring some kits and blanks for door prizes.

IPD_Mrs

Darn it, I have to be down here in this beautiful weather:island::biggrin:

Chuck, all those times you came into our shop for CA and a visit, I thought you were a really great guy. Now I find out you are just plain evil. :devil: That is OK though, cause it is still too cold down there for a visit. We just got another 4-5 inches yesterday. I am going to freeze a snowball and get my revenge on our way to Key West later this year. :biggrin:

Last edited:

rej19

Gerry, That is great. Looking forward to meeting you. The door prizes will be greatly appreciated. We have lot to accomplish at this meeting but I am sure there will be some time for "horse trading" etc. We plan on roughly a couple of hour meeting but we have the hall for as long as we need it. I am sure there will some time for lot's of fellowship etc at the end. Careful on the drive up.

MikeG

I will be driving from Fort Wayne. What is the best way to get there from I69?
Mike,
You should go to mapquest.com where you can put in the address, get a map and driving directions and, you can print it. Saves alot of confusion.

Sounds good, but how about lane closures for construction and stuff. I thought maybe someone in the area would be able to help me miss the normal problems. On my own I would use I-465 WEST to HWY 36 at exit 13. Is that a recommended way to get there?

IPD_Mrs

Mike you should be fine until about the I-74 exit on the west leg of 465. There is some construction on the west side south of that location, but I am not sure how much you will get into it exiting on SR 36. The north side of 465 is fine other than traffic.

MikeG

Mike you should be fine until about the I-74 exit on the west leg of 465. There is some construction on the west side south of that location, but I am not sure how much you will get into it exiting on SR 36. The north side of 465 is fine other than traffic.

Thanks, I think I can deal with that. Now to see if I can get on the road around 7 AM on a Saturday.:sleepy::sleepy::sleepy:

IPD_Mrs

Mike just remember that they are forecasting Friday PM snow and snow on Saturday. They have not said how much to expect yet so keep an eye on the forecast. Just be thankful you are not in South Bend.

EBorraga

In Memoriam
Glad you're gonna make it Gerry. Looks like you can help out on the casting Demo:biggrin:

EBorraga

In Memoriam
Just letting you guys know, I'm picking up Doc Holiday on my way north:biggrin:. Man this is gonna be a good meeting.

IPD_Mrs

Now that ought to be a sight, Doc Holiday and Jim Morris riding in a vehicle together. Dare I ask what is playing on the radio? Something like Uncle Kracker & Dobie Gray doing Drift Away.

Chasper

Unfortunately real work has to come before pen turning, again. I'm not going to be able to make it there this time, hopefully next time.

76winger

Hey, It was great meeting everyone today that I hadn't met before and seeing those I've met previously again.

I saw several good demos and picked up a couple goodies, so the time was well worth it. I saw several attendees with cameras, so hopefully we'll some pictures from the event showing up as everyone gets back home.

Can't wait till the next get-together!

IPD_Mrs

It was really great meeting everyone today. I know we learned some new things and put some faces to some of the IAP user names - which is always nice. I want to thank everyone who donated to the door prizes too!!!
Finally, thanks to everyone who so generously supported us and picked up some supplies today. I know we've said it before - and we seriously mean it, your support means a great deal to us. Without the support of fellow pen turners we wouldn't be able to keep products, that we all enjoy using, available at nearly wholesale cost and that is our goal!!

Linda

76winger

Mike & Linda,
It was good meeting you today, and I'll be getting a lot of good use out of the skews your father (I belive) provided at such a great deal.

IPD_Mrs

Mike & Linda,
It was good meeting you today, and I'll be getting a lot of good use out of the skews your father (I belive) provided at such a great deal.

I was wondering who got those! If I snooze I lose.

Yes that was Joe, Linda's dad. Once we got him to try the Lacer skews and a WoodChuck everything took a backseat in the tool rack. Dad is great and is willing to try most anything in this new hobby of his. Heck we even loaned him our pressure pot and he started casting before we did. His skill level has advanced faster than you can imagine. We are beginning to have a hard time keeping up.

Ron, sorry about that. :redface:

Top Bottom