Help cutting up box elder

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Can I get someone to help cut a couple of short logs into blanks? One is 7 x 19, the other is 7 x 24 Both have some burls in them.

Any help would be appreciated. :biggrin:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Can I get someone to help cut a couple of short logs into blanks? One is 7 x 19, the other is 7 x 24 Both have some burls in them.

Any help would be appreciated. :biggrin:

G'day mate,

I believe the measurements are in centimetres, right..?

Regardless of the unit of measurement, if you have a big enough bandsaw, you can start by cutting them in half and then each half into half again, if the bandsaw is not big enough for these first cuts, you can use a chainsaw to slice them in half and then continue one with the bandsaw.

After the logs are cut into 4 quarters, you have to decide what type cuts you want, if straight-cut/with the grain, you slice each quarter into boards of the thickness you see more appropriate if the wood is dry anything about 20mm is sufficient, however, if the wood is green/wet,etc., you need to allow for shrinkage as it dries so about 1" thick is normally enough.

If the wood needs drying, stack the blanks on top of each other in a cross type orientation, this will allow you to create a "tower" that you can then strap down to keep it together and put it away under cover but with some ventilation/air going through it.

If you have any further questions, I will be here...!:biggrin:

PS: Pics are always welcome

Cheers
George

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Thank you George! These are inches. They are a bit too big for my bandsaw. And I need a new chain for my chainsaw. I thought someone here in my area might have a floor model bandsaw that could knock out some blanks in a short time. :biggrin:

I appreciate your advice. Interesting procedure. :wink:

robutacion

Thank you George! These are inches. They are a bit too big for my bandsaw. And I need a new chain for my chainsaw. I thought someone here in my area might have a floor model bandsaw that could knock out some blanks in a short time. :biggrin:

Inches huh...? that's OK, that means that they are a little bigger than what I thought but still most workable unfortunately I'm too far away to get it done for you, that would be a piece of cake for me but, no go, sorry.

I hope you find someone to give you a hand with them.

Cheers
George

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader

Inches huh...? that's OK, that means that they are a little bigger than what I thought but still most workable unfortunately I'm too far away to get it done for you, that would be a piece of cake for me but, no go, sorry.

I hope you find someone to give you a hand with them.

Cheers
George
Thanks again George! I think this thread just needs a little more exposure. :biggrin:

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Hey Chuck, also post in the indy chapter. maybe a local will read it and help out!!!!!

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Pictures

Attachments

• IMG_20171013_113110908.jpg
    IMG_20171013_113110908.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 298
  • IMG_20171013_113059598.jpg
    IMG_20171013_113059598.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 329

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Chuck, you are still pretty active and healthy ( :rolleyes: ) ....is simply cutting them with a hand saw not an option? Even just to rough them out and then neaten them up on your small bandsaw?

Looking forward to seeing what's inside....
I heard that you are giving 6 blanks to each person that offers advice ( no matter how daft it may seem.. ) :biggrin:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Chuck, you are still pretty active and healthy ( :rolleyes: ) ....is simply cutting them with a hand saw not an option? Even just to rough them out and then neaten them up on your small bandsaw?

Looking forward to seeing what's inside....
I heard that you are giving 6 blanks to each person that offers advice ( no matter how daft it may seem.. ) :biggrin:

No! And you heard wrong. :biggrin:

MRDucks2

Enjoyed meeting Chuck aka Dalecamino in the flesh yesterday at my shop! Even though my bandsaw blade was so dull it bogged my saw down (broke my Timberwolf blade I bought for logs last month) we managed to split a log and make a slice.

If Chuck wants, I can slice up blanks and send them out to anyone willing to pay postage. [emoji4]

But only if he approves...

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I should check the local chapter forum more often. I just found this. :redface:

A pleasure meeting you also Mark. Thanks for cutting into that log for me, and everything else you did!
See you again soon!

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
I can help you Dale. I have a buddy over by Hamilton Towne Square, Fishers, who has a Delta with a riser that can do the job. If that sounds like something that will work give me a call or send a PM if you lost my number; lots of folks lose my number.
Bill

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I can help you Dale. I have a buddy over by Hamilton Towne Square, Fishers, who has a Delta with a riser that can do the job. If that sounds like something that will work give me a call or send a PM if you lost my number; lots of folks lose my number.
Bill

Bill, I have your number, and did in fact give you a call. Left a message, and never heard from you. You must have been vacationing in Hawaii :biggrin::island::bananen_smilies027:

Top Bottom