Good meeting, sorry if you misssed it.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
September 26, 2010; we had a good meeting this Sunday afternoon at Woodcraft in Indianapolis with 15 members in attendance. Our thanks goes out to Mark Wolfe, the store manager, for allowing us to use the Woodcraft classroom for over 2 hours. Phil Armstrong supplied the refreshments and we had a great demo by Ernie Barroga of applying a CA/BLO finish to wood pen blanks. Ernie prepared some blanks in advance so the demo was focused totally on the finishing. Several of us had preconceived ideas and even some doubts about using the boiled linseed oil with the CA glue but after seeing Ernie finish the blanks right in plain view, well let's just say it will be tried in several shops in the near future. "Only a fool refuses to learn new methods", I'm told, so I'll be one to try it. Chuck Hutchings joined us for his last meeting as a Hoosier. He and his wife are moving to The Sunshine State the middle of October and we will all miss having Chucks smiling face in the meetings. We promise to keep him on the email list so he can stay up with what he's missing "back home". Bill Bettag did a demo on making a polymer clay golf ball pen. The process isn't that difficult, it just takes time. Materials are really inexpensive but the learning curve and finesse of getting the blank to actually look like a golf ball takes patience and practice. When it can be worked it in I will make up a tutorial for the IAP site so everyone who wants to can give this process a try. The next meeting will be in November but the place and date have not been set at this time. An offer has been made for a meeting place in Avon, Indiana at a church where meetings were held some time ago. Other offers for a meeting place will be entertained as well so if you have a place let us know. Keep 'em spinnin'.

Bill

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rej19

Bill, Sorry I could not make the meeting. Just got home from an extended weekend get away. Which have been far and few between lately. I'll do my best to be at the next one. Still a good turnout for a Sunday afternoon. Sure hated to miss Chuck's last meeting. I should be hooking up with him before he leaves to take all of his private stock he don't want to move. Is that right Chuck or did I dream that? Would have liked to seen Ernie's method. I also started the BLO/CA method and have not looked back. I like the fact there is a lot less sanding if he uses the same method.

Last edited:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I enjoyed todays meeting (as always) the demos were great. Too bad some of the other members couldn't be there. It was nice to see Mark Chipwoods (Indychips) wife Linda & son make it. Sorry you had to work Mark. But, I reserve the right to return someday.:biggrin: Ron, you have until the 16th of next month :biggrin:

The pen & blank swap was a great idea. I got a nice Cocobolo with Black and Gold Ti Sierra (I think) made by Ernie. Sweet pen Ernie! Don't know who got my pen I call "Patches" , a segmented cigar made from Bloodwood & Pink Ivory.

Thanks Bill for the kind words and, for getting these meetings in gear. It's been a pleasure to know you and, work with you. All of you folks take care.

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
Some pics taken at the meeting

by Randy Kimery

Attachments

• Ernie getting it done.jpg
    Ernie getting it done.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 199
  • Ernies BLO and CA finish.jpg
    Ernies BLO and CA finish.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 207
  • Bill glued his finger again.jpg
    Bill glued his finger again.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 190
  • The inspector general.jpg
    The inspector general.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 191
  • And thats all folks.jpg
    And thats all folks.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 196

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Bill, it was another fine meeting. Enjoyed seeing everyone as usual and I finally got the concept of Polymer Clay. Now the fun begins on trying to make the golf ball. Also glad I got to see Chuck before he heads down to shark infested waters in Florida :)

jbostian

Sounds like I missed another good meeting. Maybe I will make it to the next meeting. My new work schedule gives me about zero time to myself.

Jamie

Top Bottom