Meeting Details Below

Date-Saturday October 11, 2014

Spring Meeting - Saturday March 14, 2015

10am-2pm-ish

Location- Avon Parkside Church of the Nazarene
47 North C.R. 625 East, Avon, IN

Agenda-
BITH Swap (Blank in the Hat)
PITH Swap (Pen in the Hat )(completed pen)
Free Raffle -Rockler Gift Card, pen kits, blanks, ext....

Tentative Demos- Tool sharpening for beginners

Vendors- TBD

Help Needed

I need volunteers for Demo. If you have skill set that you would like to share, new or old, beginner or advanced email me and we will see how we can make it fit. I am looking for 3-4 demo stations per meeting.

Vendor Contacts

I need anyone that can contact a vendor that is willing to travel to set up shop and sell to the membership. Anything turning or shop related is worth inviting.

Speaking topics

I would like to hear what the membership wants to learn about. There is a wealth of knowledge to be shared, let us know what you want. Feel free to add to this thread or PM or email me. redneckmedic1@gmail.com

We have some things lined up, but would like your input and help too.

New Indy Members

One of our members arranges the facility for our use. It is a great facility for our purpose, You will fit right in. We have 50-75 people typically show up for the meetings. We have lots of new turners and we have some really great turners and all are willing to share. More info about the meeting will be posted in the the next few weeks. Keep checking back in the Indianapolis Chapter Forum. Make sure you introduce yourself when you come!

MORE DETAILS TO COME!!!

Matthew Heithoff
Greater Indy Chapter President

Last edited by a moderator:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

redneckmedic

Help Needed

I need volunteers for Demo. If you have skill set that you would like to share, new or old, beginner or advanced email me and we will see how we can make it fit. I am looking for 3-4 demo stations per meeting.

Vendor Contacts
I need anyone that can contact a vendor that is willing to travel to set up shop and sell to the membership. Anything turning or shop related is worth inviting.

Speaking topics
I would like to hear what the membership wants to learn about. There is a wealth of knowledge to be shared, let us know what you want.

Feel free to add to this thread or PM or email me.

Redneckmedic1@gmail.com

lpierce65

I have sent a email to members list if you did not get it please advise me in a PM, if you know some one that needs added also let me know with their details

Larry

redneckmedic

UPDATES.....

Here is the most recent update:

Demo's

Tru-stone - Jose Dominguez (from Woodcraft-Indy)

Options for Sharp Tools
Sharpening -Matthew Heithoff- Wolverine Sharpening System/Rikon Slow Speed 8"
Easy Start Carbide Tools - Jose Dominguez (from Woodcraft)

TBA - Chuck Hutchings -He has quite a list to choose from that I accumulated via emails from the membership

Possibly a forth demo, waiting to hear back.

Vendors
Woodcraft

Door Prizes
I have several gift cards and blanks/kits in hand and promised by Rockler, Northwest, Woodcraft, Woodturningz; still waiting to hear back form a few.

Other Agenda items

Social Time- Coffee and shop talk
Main Topic- Shop Tips
Trade table- Blank Swap- Pen Swap
New Turner Kit and Blank Give-a-way

***************************************************************************************************************

Meeting Details Below

Date-Saturday October 11, 2014

Spring Meeting - Saturday March 14, 2015

10am-2pm-ish

Location- Avon Parkside Church of the Nazarene
47 North C.R. 625 East, Avon, IN

Help Needed

About an hour before the meeting we need a few able bodies to help set up.

I am looking for 1-2 folks willing to be part of the "officer" team. The main roles would be part of the brainstorming and logistics. The better your Who's who network the better you are as a resource to the chapter.

Vendor Contacts

The number one request of the membership is a nice variety from the vendors for blanks. A lot of folks are having difficulties finding exotics and burls.

Speaking topics

I would like to hear what the membership wants to learn about. There is a wealth of knowledge to be shared, let us know what you want. Feel free to add to this thread or PM or email me. redneckmedic1@gmail.com

New Indy Members

One of our members arranges the facility for our use. It is a great facility for our purpose, You will fit right in. We have 50-75 people typically show up for the meetings. We have lots of new turners and we have some really great turners and all are willing to share. More info about the meeting will be posted in the the next few weeks. Keep checking back in the Indianapolis Chapter Forum. Make sure you introduce yourself when you come!

MORE DETAILS TO COME!!!

Matthew Heithoff
IAP Indiana Chapter Director

lpierce65

Send me your real name, phone number and regular email and I'll add you to the list if your not already added in a private message if you like..

Larry

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
I had planned on trying to make this one, but i won't be able to attend. This is the same day as the machine gun shoot here in town.

rkimery

Passed Away May 3, 2022
In Memoriam
I am going to be out of the country at the time of this meeting. Celebrating our 40th anniversary with a cruise. Sorry!

redneckmedic

So is this chapter dead?

I'm not sure why you would think that we've had more activity and planning for this meeting then we have in the last year and a half. And a better question is why would you like that Eborraga? You especially have seen and commented on almost every bit of activity we've had on here:confused:

However its zero responses to threads like below that make me wonder what true motivations the membership has. It seems there is a lot more discussions on a dwindling interest than participation in revival.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f78/help-needed-future-meetings-125962/

rkimery

Passed Away May 3, 2022
In Memoriam
Ernie had been to more meetings, traveled miles, donated more time and has done more demos than you have dreamed of. One of the first members and from much farther away than you or anyone else. His job as a member of this Indy IAP chapter is to complain when things have gone wrong.

By enlarge the membership sees these meetings as a chance to; learn and grow, advance in the pen turning field or maybe just to show off. ALL of which are just fine. Our Indy IAP Chapter at one time was one of the largest, if not the largest in the United States!

What have YOU done to grow this? You attempt to set a date, without asking anyone (members at large) and with short notice and no discussion. By not having a meeting in over a year?

How long has it been since you took over? Just maybe Ernie "liked" that statement because he was disgusted or frustrated(?). I think probably!

I'll admit it is a hard job, no doubts. Many hours spent and not getting paid for hours, I understand, I was in retail for over 40 years, 95% of which on commissions. Trying this and on a full-time job, I understand that too.

Simply put, and I think most might agree, we enjoy that break in the usual week. We enjoy the Comradery of our fellow pen turners, it does not have to be elaborate at all.

So is this chapter dead?

I'm not sure why you would think that we've had more activity and planning for this meeting then we have in the last year and a half. And a better question is why would you like that Eborraga? You especially have seen and commented on almost every bit of activity we've had on here:confused:

However its zero responses to threads like below that make me wonder what true motivations the membership has. It seems there is a lot more discussions on a dwindling interest than participation in revival.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f78/help-needed-future-meetings-125962/

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Possibly one more.

I was thinking of driving out to visit, so I'll check this thread a few days before to see if any plans have changed. (Don't want to drive 4 hrs on a missed date). :)

redneckmedic

All of your points are well grounded, this wasn't a personal attack but a question. Take it as you wish. We can go down the frustration road if you wish, I see it as pointless as its well shared by everyone reading these words. The biggest concern I have with your thought process is that you think that there is some kind of focused voice from more than half a dozen of the once largest membership on IAP.

Threads/emails/legal pads ....meeting Q&A's have brought zero direction to the officers since 2013, with the acception of a few demo ideas.

So to fully support your inititial accusation, the answer is nothing, since I took leadership I have done absolutely nothing to make this chapter what it once was. In fact it's probably worse off than when I started. I won't deny it and I won't make excuses.

But I also won't dwell on it. I will keep asking the questions I will keep hoping for a response from the membership so I can figure out which direction to go. In the meantime I will keep setting dates keep arranging for people to demos, keep contacting vendors, and keep reminding people that we have open spots available on the officer board for anyone wishing to be productive.

Sorry I asked the wrong question.

Matthew

Wooly

I asked the question because I had heart surgery early in 2013. I missed the last meetings this chapter had. I miss what we had and wonder if it will ever be revived. I plan on going to the meeting but I don't understand why the passion died. I guess I missed something.

Wooly

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
Come on y'all, if you want a chapter that is FUN, if you want one that is INFORMATIVE, if you want one that EXCITES YOU to give new stuff a try then attend the d#*&n meeting and quit lookin' for conflicts. Seriously, this takes work and as with most volunteer operations, the load get a lot lighter when there are more hands to carry it; will you help? The over used phrase, "You only get out of it what you put into it." really applies here. I too have been frustrated that we have missed meetings but you know what, I haven't been in the other guys shoes so I don't have the right to criticize him (them). Another one to put in your hat is, "If you don't have a better idea keep quiet". Let's all show up on the 11th at 10:00 and see what's up. You will have the opportunity to put in your two pennies worth as to what you want demoed, discussed and shown so get prepared and bring it. That's my opinion and I'm stickin' to it.
WB

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
OK, so help me out you old bums...

Wifey wants pizza brought back from... "Noble Romans" or a place called "Flying Garcia Brothers" ???:eek:

I'm shooting blanks and coming up with nothing...

She graduated from IU in 86... (and no, 1/2 day old donuts won't cut it!!!).

Mark - The Pizza Delivery Man!

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
My search found a Garcia's Pizza in Campaign, IL and there used to be one in Bloomington, IN but gone now. It looks like you will not be the super hero of pizza. Guess you could always get a Pizza Hut and put it in a plain box explaining that we don't always remember things as they were, at your own risk of course.
WB

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader

Wifey wants pizza brought back from... "Noble Romans" or a place called "Flying Garcia Brothers" ???:eek:

Mark, is your wife after a specialty pizza? Her reason for specifying "Noble Romans" & "Flying Garcia Brothers" I presume? There are still Noble Romans around here. Another good pizza is "Galagers"

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Simply nostalgia Chuck!

We both had a wonderful time when we were in Indiana. She was in Grad school and I worked first at New Castle State Hospital and then Valle Vista Hospital in Greenwood (I was renting an old house trailer in the middle of a corn field in Franklin :eek:). Fond memories when our bodies were younger at the brains sharper.

See you Saturday!

Mark, is your wife after a specialty pizza? Her reason for specifying "Noble Romans" & "Flying Garcia Brothers" I presume? There are still Noble Romans around here. Another good pizza is "Galagers"

Top Bottom