Another great meeting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
I had a wonderful time today. Got to see some new faces, as well as some old friends. Glad to see you back Kenny!! Learned a couple things also. All in all I think everything went smooth as silk. Somehow it never rained though. But the terrible driving by those Hoosiers made up for it. Only took me about 4 1/2 hours to get home:mad:. Between the Indy traffic and construction, as well as the dang traffic trying to cross the bridge back into paradise!! Glad to be home, and now for a nice nap. See all y'all in a few months.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rej19

Ernie, thanks for making the trip up to God's country. It was great to see some new faces in the group. We have lots of talent in the group and everytime we meet I learn something new that somebody does. Very interesting and that what keeps us going!

IPD_Mr

First and foremost I want to thank Dan and the church members for opening up their facilities to us. I bet we have the best meeting location of all the chapters. They truly know what the meaning of community is.

We had a smaller crowd this time, but I think that was due to the time of year and a weeks notice of the official meeting date. Still 30 or so people was pretty good. I think we could get many more if Bill would drive a bus. :biggrin:

Ernie as always thank you for making the long drive up. You are always a blast to hang out with, as long as I don't have to ride in the Caddie and listen to banjo music we are good. :tongue: Todd thanks for braving the ride up with Ernie. Why you don't have white hair I will never know. :smile-big: You are a class act and I always enjoy your company. Tell Ernie that a closed bridge is no excuse. The Ohio is not that cold or too strong to swim once a week.

Ron as our fearless and humble leader you always manage to make everyone feel welcome and not lost. You computer demo could use a little polishing though. :biggrin:

Kenny thanks for making the drive down from Crawfordsville. It was really nice to put a face with the IAP name. I hope that you are able to come more often.

Dave thanks for showing up with the camera. I can only imagine how hard it is to fully enjoy the meetings while trying to capture it all on film.

Now to start planning for next quarter's meeting.
Demo Ideas:
Threading caps and bodies for kitless designs.
Designing and Creating casing pens.
Bill also needs to doe a bow lathe demo. :biggrin::eek::biggrin:

76winger

I have to thank everyone for allowing me to sneak in and get a few photos at the demos, and for not throwing things at me when blinding them them during the meetings with the cameras flash! :wink: I was tempted, but did avoid using it during Ron's demo of the IAP website that would've blinded everyone for sure. :rolleyes:

I also want to thank Mike & Linda for bringing so many goodies to look over and (and take a few home with me), and thanks for field some of my beginner Fountain Pen questions. I'm sure it's going to be one of those situations where the more I learn the more questions I'll have:question:

The pictures from today's meeting are uploading now and I'll be back soon with a link to them. Stay tuned!

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
Ernie/Todd: I would like to take this opportunity to appologize to you both, regarding my Son In Laws rude, insolent comment about the Banjo music. I have tried to work with him but it seems I can never find him long enough to get him fully converted. NOW I think I know why I can't find him. After his comment to Dave about "film" (what ever that is) it seems he is so far behind we may never see him again. If I do happen to find him back there somewhere, I've still got a couple bluegrass disks I'll loan him. Maybe someday!! :wink:

Vigil-Scouter

Hey let's not put down Banjo music. You just have to give it a chance. I have a 4 string Banjo. I do not know much of how to play, but maybe I should bring it to the next meeting. Anyone else know how to play?

Any way, it was great seeing everyone. My Mom was with me and thought all that stuff we do was very interesting and impressive. Thanks for the demos Bill.

Great meeting. I look forward to seeing everyone again in about January. In the mean time, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all. I hope it is a time full of rewarding woodwork, family and friends.

Rusty Helms

Oldwagon

Joe you might want let let your SIL watch the movie Wrong Turn.That way if he ever comes down this way he will never cross the bridge into Ernies land.Unless Ernie gives him a all access pass.We had a great time other than a 4 hour ride home.I don't know how we can drive up in 1 1/2 hours.Then the long drive home.Don't forget the Fiddle music.

EBorraga

In Memoriam
:biggrin:Billy and Elton who????:biggrin:

Bluegrass is not everybody's cup of tea. But I could go all day listening to Bill Monroe, Ralph Stanley, Earl Scruggs, Old Crow Medicine Show, Carolina Chocolate Drops, and tons more. Now granted I grew up on a 1000 acre farm. My dad would only let us listen to Bluegrass, Frank Sinatra, and Dean Martin. There's a radio station here that only plays bluegrass all weekend long.

76winger

The photos just finished uploading to Flickr. You can use this link to go check them out:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/76winger/sets/72157628007555862/

Enjoy!

It looks like we've had a good number of viewers of the photos already and that feels good to see so much interest from so many in the group.

I don't know if I've mentioned it before, or if you know it's possible, but anyone with a free Flickr account can make comments on the pictures also, and you're all welcome to do so. I add in a few simple comments, but I think it would fun to see the members add some captions to the pictures as well. So if you feel up to it, have at it.

We could extend the fun and learning beyond the meeting!

rkimery

Passed Away May 3, 2022
In Memoriam
Fall Meeting 10-29-2011

Well I missed out by being sickly! Missed out on a juried art show in near my home town also. Just got home.

I viewed the pics and looked like all were having fun while they learned something. Maybe Wild Bill (a.k.a. the Wood Butcher) did a piece on tool sharpening(?). I learned a lot from the last such meeting and would like to thank Bill again for that help! It has helped me greatly.

One good side to the story is I didn't get run over by the Caddy going north on I65! :biggrin:

EBorraga

In Memoriam
The caddy was like a 747 on a mission. Here's a pic that Al and Todd took!!

Attachments

• imagesCAEC5YJK.jpg
    imagesCAEC5YJK.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 171

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
Our attendance was off a little and I believe it was due to folks working on their Halloween costumes at the last minute. We want to provide an entertaining format but we also think folks like to learn a little something to take home and try, that is what keeps the craft interesting and challenging. We also want to provide a place for the membership to have a voice as to what the chapter does and assure that we are not just going through the motions but actually providing what is wanted and needed. Attendance is a must if you want to voice your opinion and desires for future gatherings so come and meet people who are at every level of pen making and will gain from your expertise and you will learn from them. Shakespeare once said, "Every man is my superior in that I can learn something from him". (well it may not have been Shakespeare, I always refer to him if I'm not sure of a source)
WB

76winger

Our attendance was off a little and I believe it was due to folks working on their Halloween costumes at the last minute. We want to provide an entertaining format but we also think folks like to learn a little something to take home and try, that is what keeps the craft interesting and challenging. We also want to provide a place for the membership to have a voice as to what the chapter does and assure that we are not just going through the motions but actually providing what is wanted and needed. Attendance is a must if you want to voice your opinion and desires for future gatherings so come and meet people who are at every level of pen making and will gain from your expertise and you will learn from them. Shakespeare once said, "Every man is my superior in that I can learn something from him". (well it may not have been Shakespeare, I always refer to him if I'm not sure of a source)
WB

It looks like Ralph Waldo Emerson said something very similar:
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Ralph_Waldo_Emerson
(about five up from the bottom of the quotes section)

• Every man I meet is in some way my superior; and in that I can learn of him.
    • As quoted in Think, Vol. 4-5 (1938), p. 32

Vigil-Scouter

Bill, I fully agree with your comments about what will keep us strong as a chapter and keep people coming. With that said, and in the form of my comments and input as to my desire and opinion about where we go from here: Great job, I enjoy and learn every meeting. I always look forward to attending. Making friends, learning, sharing. Keep the bus rolling.

Oh, and Earnie, you every heard of Bella Fleck? He took Banjo to the Jazz world.

Last edited:

76winger

Wanted to share this with everyone from the local chapter as well. It's a Majestic made with feather blanks I picked up from Indy Pen Dance while at the meeting.

Thanks for being there Mike and Linda!

Even if I DID have to go buy the kit after landing those beautiful feathers...

rej19

I guess I should have looked at all the posts first! I asked if this was the blank you picked up at the meeting. Great job!

76winger

How often are these meetings held?

Hi Scott, they're held quarterly. The next one should be coming up around the end of January.

If you're not on the emailing list, PM your email address to reg19 or Wood Butcher and they'll see you get added to it and then you'll get future notices that go out to the chapter.

mb007

I know this is a late response... I'm just now getting around to making a few posts on IAP! This was my first meeting, and I had a great time! I lurked around and didn't really say too much (like I usually do on here :)), but I learned some new tricks and enjoyed the demos put on by Bill and Ron. I also enjoyed perusing the goods at the IPD table, and look forward to picking up a few items at the next meeting (or maybe sooner!).

Top Bottom