Where to buy Vacuum Pump Oil?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bozz

I live in Fair Oaks, CA; near Sacramento, CA. I'm trying to find a local store to buy vacuum pump oil. I've tried the local Harbor Freight, Grainger's and big box hardware stores with no luck. I need a quality brand of vacuum pump oil for a "Robinair 15400" pump. Your help is appreciated. THANKS in advance for your info.

"IAP is a great place."
Denver Bozzgozz
Fair Oaks, CA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NittanyLion

some may disagree, but any non detergent motor oil will work. Just make sure it does not have any additives or anything else of the sort. I see it used all the time with no problem.

JohnGreco

I picked some up from graingers online a few months ago. You would think since HF sells pumps they would also sell the oil, but no dice.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Amazon.com is a good source. I would be hesitant to recommend motor oil as mentioned above. All rotary vane pumps will put out some oil mist when moving free air. The smell from motor oil, not to mention the potential health effects, would stop me from it.

I had a customer come to my shop and bring a pump he just bought from a pawn shop. I checked it out for him and hooked everything up to run it. It pulled a good vacuum but was about 1/2" short of what I would have expected based on my other pumps. It also stunk pretty bad. I decided to drain the oil and re-fill it with vacuum pump oil and found out it was motor oil. Once flushed and filled with good quality vacuum pump oil, the smell went away and it pulled a 1/2" Hg better vacuum.

Vacuum pump oil is highly refined mineral oil. It is non toxic and has no adverse health effect at all. You could use a good quality mineral oil from the pharmacy in a pinch. Personally, with the cost of vacuum pumps, I will stick with the oil that is specifically made for vacuum pumps!

Here is the one I use: JB DVO-24 Black Gold Deep Vacuum Pump Oil- Gallon: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

I buy it from a local HVAC store for $24 per gallon.

Bocere1

Online sources mentioned above are definitely cheaper but when I've needed some in the past quicker I've used NAPA. My store doesn't stock it on the shelf for some reason I need to ask for it at the parts counter.

Bozz

I found Vacuum Pump oil, locally

I saw an HVAC service man at my neighbors, yesterday. I asked him where he bought his vacuum pump oil; and he suggested a local supplier, called, JOHNSTONE SUPPLY. I dropped into their store this morning and bought [as mesquite-man recommended] a gallon of Black Gold vacuum pump oil. So, I'm all set to start stabilizing some wood for my pens.

I'm using a Robinair 15400 two stage, rotary vane pump [which I purchased on Craigslist for $50.00]; a custom made 14" round poly-urethane vacuum chamber, by Curtis O. Seebeck; and his Cactus Juice.

... JohnGreco, I don't get it either, HF sells pumps, but not the oil!

Thanks everyone for reading and responding to my 'post'.

"IAP is a great place!"
Denver Bozzgozz
Fair Oaks, CA

Top Bottom