Thanks for a great day

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

nava1uni

Just want to thank all of the people who made today a great fun and educational meeting.
Thank you to Connie and Larry for opening their home to us for the meeting. It is a beautiful house in a lovely setting and a nice large shop.
Thank you to Ralph Ramirez for showing his exquisite bowls and explaining how to turn using a bowl gouge "upside down"; Greg for explaining his table saw sled; Larry for showing and explaining his band saw sled; and the other Larry for bringing and sharing such wonderful wood. It was nice to meet and spend time with new members and old members. The food was great, once again Darci's brownies wowed the crowd.
This a great group of people willing to share their knowledge and have a good time together.
I look forward to working on the challenge project for the next meeting. My appreciation to all who came, shared and made it such a nice day.
:highfive:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

avbill

Yes, there was an exciting Northern CA meeting today. Thanks Larry & Connie for opening your home to this group of woodies!

Ralph Ramirez from Petaluma was there to share his way to creature elegance in wood. If only I could turn that good! It's really nice to see such a large wood shop that Larry's has.

Every meeting I learn more and more. about turning. The group is great to share their knowledge and a good time is spent doing what we all like. Although the ride was long I share a ride with Cindy so the day continued for an extra time. I thank another Larry for all the donations he gives to this small gathering.

And has any one tell you about the food. Someone brings to this meeting a cooked chicken chili and corn hot dish and its just great. AAnd there this very light salad. that Greg's brings and Darci's very famous brownies! WE started a birthday celebration for the members and both Larry and Jay's got their cake and eat it too!

Can't want into tomorrow to get into the shop and smell some sawdust.

until then....

darcisowers

Thanks to Connie and Larry for hosting. We had a GREAT time.

We always enjoy these meetings and leave with more information! I'm so glad that we're doing them more often! :biggrin:

This group is an awesome group of friends. Turners make the BEST FRIENDS!! Everyone is so generous with their advice AND materials.

It was nice to meet you Peter (and the other folks whom I am ashamed to admit I do not remember your names!! :confused:)

Looking forward to the challenge project. you "guys" are forcing me to branch out to other turning. thanks for the nudge. Actually, I've been wanting to make a box for my MIL's 70th birthday next month, so this gives me another reason to practice. :tongue:

So with that in mind, I'll leave this computer and get into the garage!

JayDevin

Okay thanks for all the fun, Larry and Connie you are great!

Attachments

• IMG_0483.jpg
    IMG_0483.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_0484.jpg
    IMG_0484.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_0485.jpg
    IMG_0485.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_0486.jpg
    IMG_0486.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_0482.jpg
    IMG_0482.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 206

JayDevin

more pics

Attachments

• IMG_0489.jpg
    IMG_0489.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_0492.jpg
    IMG_0492.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_0493.jpg
    IMG_0493.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_0494.jpg
    IMG_0494.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 220

JayDevin

more

Attachments

• IMG_0500.jpg
    IMG_0500.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_0501.jpg
    IMG_0501.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_0499.jpg
    IMG_0499.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_0495.jpg
    IMG_0495.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_0494.jpg
    IMG_0494.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 177

JayDevin

more

Attachments

• IMG_0514.jpg
    IMG_0514.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_0518.jpg
    IMG_0518.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_0517.jpg
    IMG_0517.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_0540.jpg
    IMG_0540.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_0547.jpg
    IMG_0547.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 219

kludge77

Agreed! Thanks to all for the great meeting!

I thoroughly enjoyed meeting all of you and seeing some amazing work. Thanks to Larry, Cindy and Greg for the demos and a to whomever invited Ralph. I'm excited about turning another box and trying Ralphs bowl gouge scraping techniques

ldubia

I most heartily agree with the sentiments and comments expressed thus far. I had a wonderful day there. Thanks to Larry and Connie for opening your home to us and providing such a fabulous setting for our get together. Thanks also to everyone for bringing the dishes and of course the cake. (delicious, all) And of course a very special than ks to Ralph Ramirez for coming and sharing his knowledge of turning and the tips to do better work. I enjoyed listening to your presentation.

I think this has got to be the best birthday I have had to date. I can't think of a better way to spend a day than with friends sharing what we love. Thank yo all for that.

The pictures and sound files will be posted as soon as I get them completed. I took a LOT of pics and now have to change them all to jpegs and make them fit the page here. The sound file I am not sure of. I will have t listen to it an pass it on to Greg our fearless (hmmmm) elected (volunteered) leader (led screaming to the slaughter). LOL

I must say, there was some very nice work exhibited. I always marvel at the things we accomplish with our efforts. I can't wait to see what the lidded boxes will yield.

nava1uni

Larry,
Glad that your birthday was good. Hope that your stay in Santa Rosa was nice and that Kathy also had a good time. Thanks for the really nice redwood, I am looking forward to turning some nice bowls.

ldubia

Larry,
Glad that your birthday was good. Hope that your stay in Santa Rosa was nice and that Kathy also had a good time. Thanks for the really nice redwood, I am looking forward to turning some nice bowls.

Kathy and I had a really wonderful time all weekend. We are headed back to home today (Monday morning). I am going to be working on some projects as soon as I get unpacked. I have the sleds to make, the urn to turn, and other things. If anyone needs wood, please let me know. You all know I don't charge a lot for it so take advantage while you can.

reefboy1

Hi all,

I really enjoyed this meeting as well. I learned alot from all the presentations and am glad we were able to get them all in (it was like herding cats for awhile there).

Thanks to Larry/Connie for hosting - what a beautiful home you have there.

I also realized that i left the redwood bowl blank that Larry brought for me :( I guess it's a gift for the hosts!

Can't wait till next meeting.

Art

reefboy1

I also realized that i left the redwood bowl blank that Larry brought for me :( I guess it's a gift for the hosts!

Art

Hi Art,
Yep, you left it behind the table. Fortunately, Jay took it with him to hand off to you.

Larry - btw I really like the redwood bowls you brought, especially the asian looking bowl with the curved rim. I would really like to know how you did that rim.

Art

ldubia

Larry - btw I really like the redwood bowls you brought, especially the asian looking bowl with the curved rim. I would really like to know how you did that rim.

Art

Bwahahaha. Trade secret. Actually I turned the bowl and then put the top on the top roller of the belt sander. I just sanded until I was somewhat happy with the shape. The wood for that one was really fabulous.

How ya doing on the lidded box concept? The rate you are learning, you are going to have a truly amazing box to show us all!

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Hey I'm late to this thread but...
Thank you very much Larry and Connie!!

I had a blast. Hopefully we can do it again "real soon now".

ldubia

Hey I'm late to this thread but...
Thank you very much Larry and Connie!!

I had a blast. Hopefully we can do it again "real soon now".

Yeah, what he said.

And now, without further adieu...have we had any adieu? Anyway, here are the pictures!

1-20

5March meeting-1.jpg5March meeting-2.jpg5March meeting-3.jpg5March meeting-4.jpg5March meeting-5.jpg5March meeting-6.jpg5March meeting-7.jpg5March meeting-8.jpg5March meeting-9.jpg5March meeting-10.jpg5March meeting-11.jpg5March meeting-12.jpg5March meeting-13.jpg5March meeting-14.jpg5March meeting-15.jpg5March meeting-16.jpg5March meeting-17.jpg5March meeting-18.jpg5March meeting-19.jpg5March meeting-20.jpg

Last edited:

ldubia

Ok, last one.

61-79

5March meeting-61.jpg5March meeting-62.jpg5March meeting-63.jpg5March meeting-64.jpg5March meeting-65.jpg5March meeting-66.jpg5March meeting-67.jpg5March meeting-68.jpg5March meeting-69.jpg5March meeting-70.jpg5March meeting-71.jpg5March meeting-72.jpg5March meeting-73.jpg5March meeting-74.jpg5March meeting-75.jpg5March meeting-76.jpg5March meeting-77.jpg5March meeting-78.jpg5March meeting-79.jpg

Thanks to Larry for supplying the information for the bandsaw sled. I finished mine yesterday. Now for Greg's vacuum tablesaw fence!

turn4fun

Hi Everyone.. Thanks for all kind words about coming to Santa Rosa. We really enjoyed hosting our chapter meeting. We realize it's a long drive for many people. But if the group wants to do another meeting up here in the future, we'd certainly be glad to do it again. We had a lot of fun!

We just returned home last night, so this is our first opportunity to reply to all the messages about the meeting. We drove to Fort Bragg/Mendocino Monday to go camping with our friends (Jan and Sue) from Washington. You might remember seeing them at our chapter meeting. During the trip we picked up some interesting wood that just might be used for some show and tell items at the next meeting.

We're looking forward to seeing everyone again.. Connie and Larry

ldubia

During the trip we picked up some interesting wood that just might be used for some show and tell items at the next meeting.

That sounded like a quick gloat slipped in there. :biggrin: I can't wait to see what you have done.

Made the bandsaw sled. Thanks for showing us. LOVIN' IT!

turn4fun

Larry.. Glad the sled is working for you. It might have been a little bit of a gloat about the interesting wood. Only time will tell.. Larry R.

reefboy1

Larry.. Glad the sled is working for you. It might have been a little bit of a gloat about the interesting wood. Only time will tell.. Larry R.

Larry - was it found wood or did you buy it?

I hope to one day find a nice piece of wood by the side of the road and be able to turn it into something cool.

Art

ldubia

Larry - was it found wood or did you buy it?

I hope to one day find a nice piece of wood by the side of the road and be able to turn it into something cool.

Art

You will, Art. You will. You just started turning. Before the year is up, don't be surprised at what you may run across. Or be very surprised. :eek::rolleyes::biggrin: Either way works for me. :biggrin:

turn4fun

Some of the wood was found and we bought a few scraps from a saw mill where Jan was looking at larger pieces of burl for furniture. One interesting piece is a chunk of manzanita root from the lot our house is on. That piece is still pretty wet so I'm not sure if it's going to be any good. It could be great or it could be unusable. It's going to be fun to try these woods and see what happens.. Larry R.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Some of the wood was found and we bought a few scraps from a saw mill where Jan was looking at larger pieces of burl for furniture. One interesting piece is a chunk of manzanita root from the lot our house is on. That piece is still pretty wet so I'm not sure if it's going to be any good. It could be great or it could be unusable. It's going to be fun to try these woods and see what happens.. Larry R.

Turning wet manzanita is not that unusual. When I did "the" bowl it was so wet it was throwing a stream of water at me as it spun. There are 3 ways to handle it: 1) put it on a shelf and wait a couple/three years for it to dry as it is; 2) rough turn it so the wall thickness is 1/10th the diameter of the turned blank and let it dry then final-turn it to finished; 3) Turn it to final, thin-walled now and then apply lots of finish to it does its final drying slowly.

#3 is how I did it. By going thin the wood grain doesn't have much leverage so it is much less likely to crack (to an unusable piece).

GK

Top Bottom