Storm

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

nava1uni

I hope that everyone is safe and dry in this wicked storm that is inundating Northern and Central California. Let us know how you are all faring. There have been winds up to 50 miles an hour and the streets here in hilly San Francisco are full of water and downed trees and power lines. The bottom of the hills are giant puddles and no one wants to slow down. I almost got blown off the road today as my Rav 4 was blown over two lanes on the freeway.
Keep safe and drive carefully.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

darcisowers

we're good, just saturated. :rain:

Although, if it keeps up, Andy's considering building a herringbone 360 ark. :biggrin:

be careful out there.

ldubia

I can't wait to see the 360 herringbone ARC! When Andy? When?
Boulder Creek saw 60MPH + winds blowing through the valleys. We had torrential downpours creating flooding in nearby Felton. They had mandatory evacuations. We had no power for the last 31 hours due to wind and rain pushing a 100' tall tree over falling across Bear Creek Road and missing a propane tank by 15 yards. It fell over the power lines snapping the lines on either side and snapping two power poles. That was right below us at the drive off Bear Creek Road. The river...I mean drainage ditch flooded the road all over the place. There wasn't any fast driving going on. I did get to direct traffic away from the power lines in the street for a few hours to keep most people away. Further up Bear Creek was closed due to massive mud slides (a yearly occurance). Highway 9 was closed south due to many trees down and a few slides. The south end of Boulder Creek had a raging river across Highway 9 for a few hours. Thought about going to shoot the rapids there.

Over in Scotts Valley, a slide blocked entry and exit to 33 homes indefinitely. They have to study it to determine where the slip plane is and figure out if they can clear it or not.

Just another winter here.

Fresno/Clovis is getting alot of rain, but nothing real problematic. Could be lots worse.

One question, if Andy makes a herringbone 360 arc, is it going to be stocked with 2 lathes, 2 band saws, 2 sharpening stations . . . .

tbroye

Cindy

The rivers are high the reservoirs are almost full and dumping as much water as possible. The Yolo bypass is full of water. We are OK as long as one of the storm is not a Pineapple Express with warm air and moisture from Hawaii. If that happens and the snow up in the Sierras above 7000ft starts melting we are in big dodo. Likewise if a large Earthquake hit the Bay Area the shaking could cause the water logged Levies to fail and then we are in real big DODO. I just hope the storms stop pretty soon and gives us a chance to dry and the rivers and reservoirs to lower before the snow starts melting. I doubt if we will get into my Uncles cabin at Silver Lake for Memorial Day weekend this year. Last I heard the cabin is completly buried and this is a 30ft high at the peak of the roof 2 story cabin. but it is also at 7500ft a few miles from Kirkwood. The weather is supposed to be nice next week so I may drive up one day and see what it is like. Back when I was growing up here in Sacramento we thought these were normal winters but the media makes such a big deal of it now. To me it is just a fairly normal winter. I just can't beleive the idiots trying to get to Tahoe or Reno in this type of weather and then complaining when they are stopped because the I-80 is closed. I guess they can't read and don't have a radio or Tv to find out what the conditions are.

Last edited:

Dave_M

As Ken said, we're doing OK in the Fresno / Clovis area. Very wet but doing well. I'm glad I invested in a good drainage system throughout my yard when we built this place. The mountain communities have been getting the worst of it. I have friends up in Oakhurst that were without power for about a week. PG&E restored power to Oakhurst last last night. A lot of downed trees (pen & bowl blanks). Friend of mine had his truck crushed by a large oak. I need to offer my chainsaw services to help him out. That tree has a large root structure that is now above ground. There is a lot of oak and manzanita in the foothills around here. Higher elevations were slammed with deep snow. Supposed to be another wet one tomorrow but mid seventies are forcast for the end of next week. Love a good storm.

turn4fun

We're ok in Santa Rosa. Lots of rain but no flooding. We had one short 1-1/2 hour power failure. A twister lifted the metal roof off a structure about a mile away but didn't damage anything else. Hope the end of these storms is coming soon. Keeping our fingers crossed!..
Connie and Larry

ldubia

here are a few pics I snapped of the situation the other day. some not so bad, others not so good.

Bear Creek Road flooded.jpg Broken pole next to tree 1.jpg Drooping wires  to ground 1.jpg Just before major fall began.jpg Landing site of tree across road.jpg Lopping wires to ground 2.jpg More flooding.jpg Size of tree shown here.jpg Theres a ditch there somewhere.jpg Tree resting on wires 1.jpg Tree dwarfing power pole.jpg Water flowing over a SMALL stone.jpg

There was another power pole behind the one shown that got pulled down when this one went. The wires in the road were snapped off the main poles at either end of the tree fall. There were lines all over the place.

Just another spring day in the mountains.:umbrella::umbrella::frown::umbrella::umbrella::eek::umbrella::umbrella::umbrella::umbrella::eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:

ldubia

Ya know, it just dawned on me that Andy has been working on perfecting his cubic herringbone and Noah was working with wood in cubits. Does he know something we don't? :rolleyes: Anyone else see the similarity here? So how is the ark coming Noah...I mean Andy. :eek::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Glad the rain has stopped and everything is drying out again. Actually went out in a T-shirt and worked today. Very nice.

atsowers

Not much time in the garage... er.. shop lately... BUT I do have an new idea to try out (no its not an ark). I've completed the prototype in sketchup, but now need to get the nerve to figure out how to make it.

Glad the rain has stopped, but I'm not sure I'm ready for 85deg weather just yet.

Andy

ldubia

sounds like an interesting project. This wouldn't have anything to do with the challenge lidded box would it? haven't done mine yet.

atsowers

nope... although I have an idea for that one too!! :)

The new idea reminds me of my organic chemistry class in college!! Well sorta...

ldubia

nope... although I have an idea for that one too!! :)

The new idea reminds me of my organic chemistry class in college!! Well sorta...

Oh Lord...I sense an exciting new blank about to enter the scene. When do you think it will be ready for its public debut? I can't wait to see what you have cooked up.

Top Bottom