Proposing February meeting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gomeral

Hello, All -

I've PMed a bit with Mark and I've decided (before I've heard back from him on this) to offer to host a local chapter meeting here in Fresno on 28 February. I think I can easily host up to 20 people here at my apartment clubhouse, and can probably do better than that with a little coordination. There is a BBQ area by the clubhouse, so we can grill up lunch on-site, too.

I can back the car out of the gara..er, workshop and offer space in there for any demos or discussions, if we don't just move stuff to the clubhouse. For any demos, I'm happy to offer up my tools, I have a Jet midi lathe, 14" BS, drill press, etc., so I think I can support most basic demonstrations. I don't do any casting, so I can't offer anything for that, but I'd love to see some!

Anyway, if this will work and nobody will come after me for hijacking the local chapter, please RSVP either here or via PM.

We can discuss times/durations and programming here and if this goes, I'll publish an "official" agenda no later than the 7th.

daniel

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

markgum

Hey all;
just to let you know I received a message from Ken Nelson and he said he will ship me pens for the meeting to use as door / raffle prize.
more details coming soon. It will be a GREAT shin-ding.

Dave_M

Not sure I can make that date just yet. It's sort of our anniversary date. I say sort of because our anniversary is actually on Feb 29th. No Feb 29th this year so we celebrate the last day of the month. Now whether we actually plan to do anything on that day is another story. I'll have to play it by ear and see what the mood is as the date draws closer.

Daniel... since I'm in the neighborhood, I'd like to help where I can. Just let me know if I can do anything.

tbroye

Wrong weekend for me also. 43rd Wedding Anniversary, might be a good Idea to take LOML some place expensive. Woodcraft! We haven't made plans yet. We were thinking of flying to Seattle for the weeked, she has never been there or may down to Monterey and retrace our honeymoon.

Dario

I know you are in...but just posting this (canned message) here too so you won't feel left out :wink:

=========================================

Hope you guys will enter IAP's 5th birthday bash "Chapter Collaboration Contest".

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=41286

I am trying to survey how many potential entries we will have and would appreciate it very much if you can confirm.

Thank you,

Just noticed this thread about a meeting in Fresno. I live in Clovis and would really enjoy attending. I didn't even know there was a local chapter. How do you join?

Ken

Dave_M

Just noticed this thread about a meeting in Fresno. I live in Clovis and would really enjoy attending. I didn't even know there was a local chapter. How do you join?

Ken

Hey Ken! Glad to know there is another turner in the neighborhood. Just posting on the forum and living in the area is all it takes. No formalities or secret handshakes around here. Hope to see you at a gathering someday.

What? No secret handshake? I guess a decoder ring is out of the question then.

Looking forward to meeting people next month. I'd be happy to bring anything needed.

Ken

gomeral

Well, I count around 9-10 people and think that's enough to call it a meeting (although, of course, more are welcome!). Let's plan on the date, then, what about the time? I'm thinking a late morning through lunchtime meeting, food can be provided (maybe just dogs and burgers or something like that). Will that work?

Also, I'm working on a decoder ring group buy. :biggrin:

daniel

markgum

I like the idea about 11:00 to when ever Daniel kicks us out. since we have people coming from the bay area; meeting about 11:00 ish would allow us to start with a lunch and then what ever.

rb765

I just found out about this too...I'm In. I work weekends that month so 11:00 is great. Not too early (I work swings) and early enough that I can do this before work. Maybe we can do a blank swap also. I have some extra local olivewood and other stuff, just an idea.

rb765

:( Told the other half about the meeting and she kindly reminded me (is yelling at me cause I forgot her sister's baby shower kindly?) that we are out of town that weekend. Sorry.

nava1uni

Since some of us are coming from the Bay Area the idea of 11:00 seems reasonable. I don't want to have to leave in the dark to get there earlier. Can we bring food, etc. Let us know what you want, we're all really good at the food thing. Yes. let's bring stuff to show off and to exchange.

11:00 sounds fine. So does some kind of blank or kit swap.

If the decoder ring was a laminated or segmented center band, would the pen need to write with invisible ink?

markgum

Door prizes for Feb. meeting.

Hi all;
just wanted to let you know that Kallenshaan Woods has provided us with ..... :)

12 AMAZING Pen Kits for Door prizes at our meeting on the 28th in Fresno. :party:

WHOOO HOOOO ..... :bananen_smilies051:
Now the package I received contains.....

Pen Kits... :wink:

wanna know what they are...
wanna win an awesome kit for you to take home and dazzle us at the next shin ding..
should I tell what they are to make you drool with anticipation for this event.... NAW..... I'm goin to let the suspense build... (for a while :tongue:)
Make sure you calendars are cleared for the next NOR/CEN CAL Shin-Ding in Fresno Feb. 28th....:biggrin:

gomeral

All,

As mentioned earlier, looks like the meeting is on. I'm excited and happy to host it! I'm trying to get an agenda together, not so much to keep us on time, but to make sure we don't forget something. I'd like to ask that anyone that is coming let me know if there's something they'd like to see on said agenda, here's what I have so far:

• Lunch / meet-n-greet
  • Blanks and pen kits swap
  • Pen (or other items) show-and-tell
If applicable, and not limited to the lunch/m-n-g, I'd also like to host a discussion of:

• what sells
  • where people sell it
  • how people make it
  • whether or not we can do a local group buy (if that even makes sense)
I'd also like to host:

• Discussion of local chapter pen for Feb contest, AND/OR
  • Any part of fabrication of pen for local chapter contest
For the latter, my equipment is available for use - I think I've mentioned that I have a table saw, band saw, lathe, scroll saw, drill press, 1" belt/5" disc sander, and a cordless framing nailer. :tongue:

For lunch, I have a grill or we can use one of the gas grills at the clubhouse, so I can do burger/dogs (possibly with chicken and/or brats) and side items. I haven't figured the menu yet, but if folks will contribute at a minimum $5, I think I can cover everything. I'll let folks know a menu and if it looks like more than $5 would be required, but I doubt it - I've gotten good over the years at hosting inexpensive group lunches. (Topic of conversation: Ask about my Bahamas trips and also the Fly-Ins that I've hosted in the past.)

The major thing I'd ask is if people can bring folding chairs, please let me know - I only have 4! If we do most of this at the apt. clubhouse, there are plenty of chairs, but the shop tools aren't making the trip up there!

Anyway, long message for short request - let me know if there's something I've forgotten!

Thanks,

daniel

Daniel,

I have about a dozen folding chairs and four 6' banquet tables that are available. No problem with donations, would also be open to bringing food and helping with setup/takedown since I'm close.

Also, for a beginner like me, possible topics could be tool sharpening and lamination techniques.

Ken

Last edited:

rb765

Looks like I am going to able to go after all. I had another thing come up preventing me from going with the wife to her sister's baby shower. And by that time, our host should have a future turner too.

gomeral

Looks like I am going to able to go after all. I had another thing come up preventing me from going with the wife to her sister's baby shower. And by that time, our host should have a future turner too.

Great news, Ruben! I'll look forward to seeing you (here). I'm saddened, however, that I won't be able to run a blank swap for you and inform you that someone took all your blanks when I wasn't looking... :wink:

daniel

Dave_M

I placed my order with him already, but if you want to place an order and ask him if he could piggyback the shipping on my order, that's alright with me.

Howdy all, Daniel just posted a group buy for pen mills. I will be buying one, but if anyone wants to get together and do a mini group buy within the larger buy, we could save a little on postage. Just an idea, but let me know if anyone is interested.

Here is the link:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42255

gomeral

It would be nice, but based on his post, I'd be amazed if people had them in-hand in less than 4 weeks. :eek: This won't keep me from considering it, though - I need to do an inventory...

daniel

rb765

I went ahead and placed my order too. Daniel is a straight up guy and if the stuff that I received from him in the past is any indication of what he had this time, it is worth the wait.

rb765

Daniel, What would you like us to bring for the meeting? Lemme know so I can get a chance to go shopping. This will be my long week at work (days of change leaving me an eight day stretch of 10 hour days).

Also, if anyone else is coming that needs a face shield similar to http://www.woodcraft.com/EnhancedImage.aspx?ProductString=141615.jpg&NameCode=141615 but black frame, I just picked one up at Jorgensens for $5 bucks. I saw them when I had my fire extinguisher filled. These go for about 20 anywhere else. Let me know if anyone needs one and I'll swing by before work and get them to bring to the meeting.

Ruben,

I could use 2 of those. I don't know where Jorgensens is. They come to our office. If you're going I would appreciate them, or let me know the address and I will go there myself.

Thanks,
Ken

rb765

Jorgensens is on Orange just South of Jensen, but the easiest way to get there is go SB on 99 to teh Jensen offramp. Go through the intersection toward the Kenworth shop. East Ave turns and becomes Orange. It is about the second or third building on the East side of the road. I have to go downtown sometime this week, so I don't mind going. PM me if you want me to pick them up for you. I do not have the exact price as the I had my extinguisher filled also. The bill for the fill was $15 and the total bill was $20, and that was for the mask and shield.

gomeral

Daniel, What would you like us to bring for the meeting? Lemme know so I can get a chance to go shopping. This will be my long week at work (days of change leaving me an eight day stretch of 10 hour days).

Ruben, thanks for the offer. I need to get organized tonight, but the big thing is I would like people to bring chairs. I have 4 camping chairs, but they will likely (hopefully?) not be enough. My plan is to use the metal tables and chairs in the cookout area by the clubhouse, but the garage workshop, while roomy enough for folks, needs chairs. I have a grill in the back yard and can bring it around, if there aren't that many folks we can meet in/by the apartment/garage.

Unfortunately, we won't be meeting in my apartment because the lil' guy is still getting into a routine and mom has asked that we respect their privacy. But there's still plenty of space and it'll be a great time!

In a day or so, I hope to have a pretty good idea of who's coming so I can get grill items for lunch. So everyone make sure you RSVP if you're coming!

daniel

Top Bottom