Planning the next meeting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Standard questions:

Where?: Last was in Oakdale. Before that was in Fresno. Do we want to do it in SF? Is there anyplace to do it in SF? Other thoughts?

What?: What do people want to see this time around? Pendants? Ornaments? "Celtic" knots?

When?: Sept (3 months since out last)? October? Thoughts?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

markgum

SF would be fine. We have a LOT of people over in that area. But I wouldn't mind a trip to Reno :rolleyes: to see Dan but that might have to be a 2 day trip if my ATM card holds out. :biggrin:
there sure has been a flury of pendant talk and that would be good to see discuss etc.
and if memory serves we spoke briefly about celtic knots at the last get together, Greg brought is VRF to the last meeting and it would be nice to see it in use.
how about a jig discussion. pen vise, barrel trimmers, pen press, other shop jigs, etc.
maybe something on sharpening. or did we do that one recently.
let the good times roll.

Dave_M

Sharpening would be good. Especially if we covered various methods of sharpening and sharpening jigs. High tech to home brew.

nava1uni

I am up for a meeting, but won't be able to do it until October. I have a street fair on September 20th but will be available after that date. I would offer my house, but my work space is only 1/5 the size of Nolan's or Greg's at about 4x10 feet. I have to move each tool to use it so I don't think that it would be easy for more then a couple of people. However, I will help with any set-up or costs.
I would like to learn more about making jigs, etc.

Sharpening demo would be great. Heck, I need help with just about everything. Actually cutting and glueing some segments would be interesting. Doing a quick CA demo or actually turning pendants. I seem to learn much more watching an actual demo than just talking about it.

Also like Cindy's idea about making jigs.

Looking forward to another meeting.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Well pendants are quick and easy so we can definitely do that.

I'm quite willing to have it at my place again, if that is what folks want. My address is kinda "central" in our group, if everyone comes.

Last edited:

nava1uni

Thank you Greg for your generosity in offering your place again. I can get there without the Bay Bridge. I vote for anytime after September 20th cuz I'm not available until then and I want to come to it. I always have a good time and learn a lot, plus all the folks are neat.

tbroye

It would be fun some time to do a road to Curti's place in Texas. LOML has an 8 passenger Expedition that is great on long trips. Would't that freak him out. Email him and tell his place as been slected for the nex NO Cal meeting. Just a thought. San Francisco would ok with or Greg place is fine also. Any Demos or classes would be fine with me.

Greg's place sounds fine with me. I will be out of town, conference in San Diego, from Sept 15 to Sept 20. Other times are ok for me.

I am anxious to go. I have not been in the garage/shop since our last meeting. Life has got to slow down a bit.

darcisowers

I look forward to the next meeting, especially if it's held at Greg's - very close for me. I can't wait to meet other locals!

My only scheduling constraint is that Saturday and Sunday mornings are busy, so I will be there around noon or later.

Darci

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Saturday the 26th or Sunday the 27th work fine for me (my son has a "bi" week for soccer).

October 3rd would have to be a "late day" because my son's game is 9:30-11:00am.

October 4th is also open.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
OK, the 26th it is. Maybe Mark can sneak up for a bit to say "Hi. Bye." :-((

oooo how about we all go crash Mark's place and have a going-away_help-you-pack party? Just Kidding, Mark. Don't have a coronary. Unless you think it would help. Then I'm all for it.

markgum

OK, the 26th it is. Maybe Mark can sneak up for a bit to say "Hi. Bye." :-((

oooo how about we all go crash Mark's place and have a going-away_help-you-pack party? Just Kidding, Mark. Don't have a coronary. Unless you think it would help. Then I'm all for it.

that would be sooo awesome. But, doubt you would want to be here at 6AM to start. :eek:
Actually, i'm just throwing a few things in the jeep and heading north, I'm leaving the packing and such to the boss and they will move up around turkey day. off to talk to the realtor today and see if possibly, maybe... yeah, I'm dreamin that my home would be worth enough to sell it.... Have to clean the shop and pack it this weekend....

Unfortunately, I can't be there for the meeting on the 26th. While I was out of town, my wife scheduled Ryan's 11th birthday party for that day.

Sounds like a great day. I hope to see you all at the next gathering.

Ken

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
More Details

OK, I went out and bought Sirloin burger patties, Bratwurst, chicken sausages with mild jalepeño and pepper jack cheese in it. I got forgotful and forgot buns though so another run to the store is needed.

If folks could bring Lettuce, 'matoes, and other burger fixin's would be good. And sides and maybe another dessert that would be helpful.

It is going to be REALLY hot so cold is good.

For dessert we bought some frozen cream puffs and I have a bucket of sherbert.

We also have a pretty good variety of sodas, both sugared and sugar-free. But if you want something particular please feel free to bring it. Like last time, beer/wine is welcome but if you partake then no power tools for you. And if you over-partake (in the group's opinion) we will be happy to call you a cab.

I have a six chairs but it wouldn't hurt to bring more. Fans would help too!!

Can we get a head count of who is coming? Looking things over I see 8 primaries:
Lanman
Ratto
Nav1Uni
Me
JayDevin
AvBill
DarciSowers
TBroye
Can folks let me know if any guests are coming?

For things to do:
the normal braggards' table
swaps
I'll demonstrate a pendant and then folks can try (one lathe so one at a time (unless I can talk Ratto into bringing his lathe too))
Bring tools and I can do sharpening using the Wolverine system and my grinder. (Maybe Ratto can bring his belt sander and tools and show how he does his sharpening.)
Jig discussions. Bring your favorite jigs and we can stare and compare and demo some of them.
What else??

And what order do we want to do the above? Darci won't be able to make it until later so what is your biggest interest?

GK

darcisowers

Greg, I will bring brownies and maybe a side if I get inspired at the grocery store. I will also bring an extra chair, and a fan... We have an ez up if that would help... I'll be there between 12-12:30.

Tom, sorry to hear you can't make it.

I can't wait to meet everyone!

darcisowers

oh, and my biggest interest is meeting everyone, sharpening is the next most important thing to me at this point, since I'm going to need to learn that... still need to figure out what to buy...

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Darci,

Brownies: YUMMMMmmmm

Sharpening, what I use: I use the wolverine sharpening system and an 8" low speed grinder, followed by (recently) a 600-1000 grit diamond honing stone.

Dave_M

I wish I could join you all for this one but I just can't break away this time. I'm sure it'll be a good time as always.

Dave

nava1uni

Sorry that Tom has to attend a funeral. Sorry about your loss. Will also miss Dave, Daniel, and the rest who can't make it to this event. I will bring fixings for burgers, etc. See you there.

Top Bottom