Penturners Meeting for November?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Campbell

We're heading into the holiday season, but we have not had a meeting since we met a Martin's place.

Martin, Joel, and Bill were talking at the September BAWA meeting about getting together in October. It may be late for October.

Any interest?:good:

MartinPens

Bill Melberg was saying he would host, but he is out of town until the 23rd of this month. If he passes on hosting, I'm fine with hosting again in November.

boatemp

I'd like to m ake this one. I'm booked on the 6th Nov. Otherwise any other day. I had a fire in my building on first Street and It's still under construction. The worst cons. company i've seen in a long time.

chicken

This open to newbs? Been turning on and off since I was a kid and recently picked up a new lathe and interested into getting back into pen turning. I am around both the 29th and 30th but might only be able to come over for a few hours as I have business travel the week after. I am located in San Ramon as well. I could toss a pork butt or brisket in the smoker if I need to bribe my way in :)

Last edited:

chicken

I guess I should actually introduce myself :). My name is Chris and I work for an IT consulting firm. I have two young boys and live in San Ramon where I was born and raised. In order to get away from work I like working with wood, maintaining a 600 gallon salt water reef tank, photography and smoking some great food. As for woodworking I have a 3 car garage where I can barely squeeze in my weekend car. I mostly do flat work for household projects for myself and family. As for wood turning I learned on my grandfathers lathe when I was 8 years old. Since then I have turned various bowls, spindles, pepper mills and pens with many breaks over the years. I recently sold my Jet 1442 lathe and bought a new Grizzly G0800 so I could turn some bigger bowls. I figured the 3HP motor should help with pens as well :) I look forward to meeting some of you guys at a meeting in the near future. Thanks.

chicken

Your choice :)

Attachments

• IMG_0027.jpg
    IMG_0027.jpg
    337.4 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_2188.jpg
    IMG_2188.jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 184

boatemp

Welcome. I'm rather new myself only attending 1 meeting. Plan on being more active once construction is finished on my store.
That weekend works for me.

I really want to come to one, but with a business trip starting the weekend of the 29th and prepping for a new kid, my weekends are shot until the new year.

Though it looks like when I am able to make it chicken and I may have to have a BBQ throwdown as I would have offered Ribs, Pork or Brisket.

Attachments

• ribs.JPG
    ribs.JPG
    261.5 KB · Views: 180

MartinPens

Welcome Chris! I'm not much of a grill master. I do have a grill! Perhaps you could join us and get a lay of the land and we can look at grilling out at a future meeting. Nice to have someone in the immediate neighborhood!

Well folks, we are at that place where no matter what date we pick, someone is going to be unable to attend. It looks like the 29th/30th have the best options. I have not heard anything from Greg - I will send him a text/email.

I'll be back with everyone soon. Let's start thinking about what we would bring for food. Sandwiches seem to be quick and easy. Chips, drinks, salads and, of course, desserts!

Topics:
We can keep it social. I will be doing a demo on closed end pens in Nov - so I could use the practice if anyone is interested. I would actually like to demo and get some chips flying.
It's also approaching the Holiday season and there are great turning projects that are seasonal such as ornaments and such. What have you done in the past? I have a sea urchin ornament and that was fun!?

Keep checking in and let's land on the 29th or 30th.

MartinPens

Also, if you know of anyone who has not chimed in on this discussion that usually attends - let's make an effort to get the word out to them with the 29th/30th OCT choices.
Thanks!

MartinPens

My wife has plans on both days so here's what I would like to put forward:

Let's have our meeting on Sunday Oct 30. My place ( message me for my address) beginning at 9am. You can come by as early as 8:30. I don't really have an ending time, so plan to hang out as long as you like - I'm flexible and comfortable with saying when it's time.

For those who cannot do Sunday... let's get together on Saturday! I'm planning on turning both days and would love the company. Just message or text me.

I will post a new thread with signups for food

boatemp

I can bring assorted breads and condiments. If anything else is needed let me know.
thanks

MartinPens

I spoke with Joel and Greg and both of them said they could make it on Sunday. Hopefully they will chime in on the thread for something to bring
Joel mentioned he would like to bring some of his recent casting technique's and discoveries.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
You'll fit right in, Chicken. Art and I met on ReefCentral. I have a 315 gallon display tank (not very pretty these days). I also have an "egg" smoker.

I guess I should actually introduce myself :). My name is Chris and I work for an IT consulting firm. I have two young boys and live in San Ramon where I was born and raised. In order to get away from work I like working with wood, maintaining a 600 gallon salt water reef tank, photography and smoking some great food. As for woodworking I have a 3 car garage where I can barely squeeze in my weekend car. I mostly do flat work for household projects for myself and family. As for wood turning I learned on my grandfathers lathe when I was 8 years old. Since then I have turned various bowls, spindles, pepper mills and pens with many breaks over the years. I recently sold my Jet 1442 lathe and bought a new Grizzly G0800 so I could turn some bigger bowls. I figured the 3HP motor should help with pens as well :) I look forward to meeting some of you guys at a meeting in the near future. Thanks.

gonzo972

I am new to turning but if I can swing it I would love to come and soak up some knowledge from people with experience. Is this open to complete newbies?

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome, Gonzo!

You are very welcome to attend.

If you are interested, for $20 you can attend the Bay Area WoodTurner's meeting on Sunday when the are having a pro do presentations

Http://bayareawoodturners.org

I am new to turning but if I can swing it I would love to come and soak up some knowledge from people with experience. Is this open to complete newbies?

Top Bottom